Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
That sounds very familiar, it seems that I am one of the "Average Joe" you describe just because I use an "average joe" K100D and I do like to put a kit lens on it to shoot casually.

Well, I won't argue with you further just because I am just a little "average Joe", I think :-)
The average Joe doesn't maintain web blogs such as what you maintain, probably doesn't have much to do at all with internet photography forums, and certainly doesn't have your depth of technical knowledge regarding cameras and photography.

What differentiates you from the average Joe when you are using a kit lens and your K100D is that you are using that equipment, knowing that it is up to the task at hand. The average Joe uses it because he doesn't know anything else, and doesn't care to, either.

You wouldn't believe how high a % of SLR users I ran into during my time as a retail level photofinisher who had never had their camera off of programmed exposure, had no idea what the other settings did, or even if they had any purpose whatsoever, and just plain didn't care to know either.
They buy their SLR because Consumer Reports told them it was a good camera and would give better results than a point and shoot, the guy at the camera store backed the decision, so they buy it and used it as a point and shoot.

06-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
So you're saying I should be able to get a cable that has the same plug at both ends, like the two outer sockets in my photo, but the fancy photo shop in town just didn't have them.

Actually, I have never seen such a thing. They always have a male plug at one end, and then either a female plug or a flash specific plug at the other end.
If nothing else, there is only two wires inside a PC cord, so if you need to, you can quite easily make a custom one yourself. Just make sure you don't mix up the wires, as polarity matters in these things.
06-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why don't you set the camera to M and carry on like you did with your previous cameras?
Although, I'm not understanding the adjustment you seem to be having forced onto you. All X is, is a discreet manual exposure shutter speed. It shouldn't be forcing ISO and aperture.
I think if you were doing anything that would damage your camera, you'd know about it by now.
I think the issue is that, at least from my limited knowledge, if you are using Auto ISO and switch from any AE mode to any manual exposure mode, the ISO setting is automatically switched to the lowest available. It hasn't caused a big deal for me, since I'm aware of it and just set whatever ISO I want manually(which is what I do most of the time anyway, even when I'm using an AE mode.)

Last edited by brothereye; 06-25-2008 at 11:17 AM.
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
I need a cable that has the same end on both ends, like the outermost plug on these cables. I was taken aback that the camera store didn't have such a thing.
Check flashzebra.com

Dave

06-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rene` Quote
Thanks for you response Wheatfield!

When I set my K20 to M--- it didn't work the way it did with my K100 or the *istDL. That was why I was asking if I was doing something wrong.

I was hoping for a cure to my problem.
Simple. Read the flash meter. Do you know how to use a flash meter? It is much easier with a flash meter. That usually helps.... Set the flash meter to let's say 1/125th of a second. Set the ASA/iso on the Flash meter. Set the flash meter for remote flash. Pop the flash and it will give you the F number. Now manually set it on the Pentax.

Couldn't be easier I have only done it about 100,000 times, so it should work.

If you don't have a flash meter. Take an image at let's asy 1/125th of a second at f 8.0 using a flash at maximum power, half or quarter or what ever. Take the photo. If it is under open up the aperture to f5.6 and try again. If it is over close down to f11.0 and try again. etc.etc.etc.

Oh don't forget to set your iso to the desired effect. Oh and set you dial to "M"...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 06-25-2008 at 03:04 PM.
06-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #36

Wheatfield,

Ok it works. I didn't know that I needed to connect the sync cord form the camera to the trigger. It is working Great! So Great ! I am so excited. Actually, I may be blonde -- but I feel like a pro now... Hee Hee
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Wheatfield,

Ok it works. I didn't know that I needed to connect the sync cord form the camera to the trigger. It is working Great! So Great ! I am so excited. Actually, I may be blonde -- but I feel like a pro now... Hee Hee
When I had hair, I was a blond.

06-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wheatfield,

Too many "Chilli Dogs" from the Varsity...
08-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Who has used the PC "X" Sync on the Pentax K20D yet? That was one of my major critiques to Pentax when it did not appear on the K10D. Every camera should have one, even the entry level DSLR's. It opens up a lot more possibilities. I did not like having to stick a cube adapter on my hot shoe that allowed me to plug in a cable in the event that the remote died on me. All SLR's in the past had them. Why not today?
Ben
Ralph Paonessa mentions, in his online guide part 5, how :

"PC sockets for firing manual flashes are making a comeback on higher end SLRs after being discarded as "old technology." "

Hummingbird Photography Guide Part 5 - Equipment - Ralph Paonessa Photography Workshops & Photo Tours
08-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Who has used the PC "X" Sync on the Pentax K20D yet? That was one of my major critiques to Pentax when it did not appear on the K10D. Every camera should have one, even the entry level DSLR's. It opens up a lot more possibilities. I did not like having to stick a cube adapter on my hot shoe that allowed me to plug in a cable in the event that the remote died on me. All SLR's in the past had them. Why not today?
I use my X-sync socket all the time. I have an old potato masher AF400T unit from my LX days of the early 1980s which works perfectly on the K20D. I'm not sure, but I believe that the circuitry on the X-sync socket can take a higher charge than the hotshoe circuit, thus avoiding all the admonitions about using old flashes on new DSLRs. The AF400T has a discharge voltage of 7.3VDC at full power so that isn't an issue anyway.

Jack
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Cygnet, you need the "male to male" pc sync cord to use your SB 28 flash (I use SB 24's). You can find them at flashzebra.com -- Lon is awesome, shipping is fast.

The third cord from the top should work with older Vivitar flashes (such as the 283). I don't recommend wiring one of those directly to your digital SLR -- it may get fried.

Good luck,

Adam
08-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Ben that all camera's should have a PC X sync. However, when will Pentax offer a flash with an X sync plug. The 540 has the dedicated P-TTL cord plug, but I seldom use that these days as when I use flash off camera it is on manual. On that note, it is also a pain that when you set the flash to manual mode and the power level to say 1/2 or 1/8, that the auto shut down kicks in if you are not shooting continuously. You then have to turn the flash on and reapply your settings to manual and powerlevel etc. A real pain.

I know I could achieve this with the likes of a Vivitar 285, but I own 3 pentax flashes and do use them in P-TTL mode at weddings etc., where you are mobile you can't set up light stands and the auto feature of P-TTL is a godsend.

Anyway, I would really like to see Pentax upgrade their flash features both in camera and on their flashes.

Mike.
09-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I agree with Ben that all camera's should have a PC X sync. However, when will Pentax offer a flash with an X sync plug. The 540 has the dedicated P-TTL cord plug, but I seldom use that these days as when I use flash off camera it is on manual. On that note, it is also a pain that when you set the flash to manual mode and the power level to say 1/2 or 1/8, that the auto shut down kicks in if you are not shooting continuously. You then have to turn the flash on and reapply your settings to manual and powerlevel etc. A real pain.

I know I could achieve this with the likes of a Vivitar 285, but I own 3 pentax flashes and do use them in P-TTL mode at weddings etc., where you are mobile you can't set up light stands and the auto feature of P-TTL is a godsend.

Anyway, I would really like to see Pentax upgrade their flash features both in camera and on their flashes.
Mike.
I see your point, maybe the Mets 58 could be an option for you :
Re: Example images?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The PC sync socket is really not needed for average joe who never need to do flash photography in a studio. It is not comparable to standard feature like 1/4000th or even 1/8000th Tv speed, which, whilst maybe rarely use, still somedays will be found useful by the user, occasionally.

For those who never do jobs in a studio by using flash, I have to say the PC socket is useless but just add manufacturing cost and one more failure point (e.g. for moisture to enter) at the camera.
Well, the pc socket will be used just "as occasionally" as the 1/8000s, I expect. I use it for once. I count pc sockets among the "standard features", even much more than 1/4000s or 1/8000s which I found pretty useless in film days and aquite as much now.

If I remember rightly, you critisize the K20 freely of lacking pro-features. So the pc socket should be a god sent for you.
09-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #45

I also use the X-Synch socket when using my Starblitz Macro-Lite Ring Flash - wouldn't work otherwise, so for me it's essential