Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kjphilippona's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Wrong Side of Heaven
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 889
I think this weekend made my mind up to purchase a K3. I have the K50 and K30, yesterday was a blue bird day. I took along 4 of my best lenses that have been fine focus adjusted using a focus pyramid. My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55, out of 250 pictures taken between both cameras and all lenses , only maybe 50 were in sharp focus, the rest had back or front focus issues. I was tempted to throw the lot into the lake but my daughter talked me out of it!

10-19-2015, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,519
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I think this weekend made my mind up to purchase a K3. I have the K50 and K30, yesterday was a blue bird day. I took along 4 of my best lenses that have been fine focus adjusted using a focus pyramid. My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55, out of 250 pictures taken between both cameras and all lenses , only maybe 50 were in sharp focus, the rest had back or front focus issues. I was tempted to throw the lot into the lake but my daughter talked me out of it!
Next time don't think of throwing them in the lake, think of sending them to PF members who would like free lenses (like me ).

I don't know if the K-3 will help, but from what I hear it's a lot better.

If I had the money (when I bought my camera) I would have a K-3 not a K-50.
10-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,691
QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
I have even considered jumping over to Nikon for that very reason.
Well, that would be a good option. Conventional wisdom is that Nikon has the best predictive AF on the planet.


Steve
10-19-2015, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,118
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I think this weekend made my mind up to purchase a K3. I have the K50 and K30, yesterday was a blue bird day. I took along 4 of my best lenses that have been fine focus adjusted using a focus pyramid. My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55, out of 250 pictures taken between both cameras and all lenses , only maybe 50 were in sharp focus, the rest had back or front focus issues. I was tempted to throw the lot into the lake but my daughter talked me out of it!
Front/back focus issues can be due to misalignment of the tolerances of the mount and the lenses. If this is a static problem then adjusting them on each body will be needed. The K3 may not help - it is essentially a game of luck - do your lens tolerances suit your mount. If on the other hand it is missed focus due to predictive AF.C then the K-3 may well help.

One thing to try is using live view - if the live view results (static shots) look sharp and the optically focused one's aren't then you have misalignment issues that need AF fine tuning.

Apologies if this is not news to you. I just want to be sure you have the facts if you have not heard of this before.

10-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 111
Original Poster
I have adjusted my lenses for FF/BF and that seem fine. I'm not fond of live view for my shooting style, although it is very useful for macro work.

I am currently comparing the K3 to the Nikon D7200..... and the Nikon is winning. I like everything about the K3 that brought me to Pentax in the first place; size, build quality, a great interface, great control options, WR bodies and lenses. I Just cannot escape the fear that I will get an improvement in the keeper rate, but not a big enough one to stay with the Pentax brand.

If anyone here has had time behind both cameras, I would love to hear your opinions and experiences. Please give me a reason to get the K3 over the D7200.
10-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,118
My step father shoots the 7200. I think it is a nice camera but I have never spent a lot of time comparing it with my K3.
10-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 912
QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
I have adjusted my lenses for FF/BF and that seem fine. I'm not fond of live view for my shooting style, although it is very useful for macro work.

I am currently comparing the K3 to the Nikon D7200..... and the Nikon is winning. I like everything about the K3 that brought me to Pentax in the first place; size, build quality, a great interface, great control options, WR bodies and lenses. I Just cannot escape the fear that I will get an improvement in the keeper rate, but not a big enough one to stay with the Pentax brand.

If anyone here has had time behind both cameras, I would love to hear your opinions and experiences. Please give me a reason to get the K3 over the D7200.
My dad just got the D7200. Great camera. That thing can track just about anything!

My only gripe is that Nikons in general don't have IBIS so one is forced to shoot with tripods or at very high ISOs in low light, but the high ISO images still look pretty good, so I guess it cancels out. Like ISO 12800 images look better than ISO 6400 images from my K-50. A little bit more grainier, but with way more detail.

The Nikon lenses that have image stabilization can get expensive pretty fast. IBIS is the main reason I used to shoot with a Sony DSLR & now with a Pentax DSLR. If you don't care about having IBIS & plan to shoot with tripods or at high ISO in low light, the D7200 is one hell of a camera. I don't think Pentax has anything that can match The D7200's focusing speed & accuracy. But yeah. I still prefer the overall lower cost of Pentax bodies & lenses, hence me being on this forum. Haha!
10-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 111
Original Poster
I may be a two brand shooter. The Nikon can seem to do action so much better than anything Pentax that I have decided to get the D7200 and try it out with the shooting we do most. Still trying to decide on lenses, but I think I may just get one bundled with a 18-140 to get my feet wet and then decide where to go from there. I started shooting with a Nikon F way back in my late teens, so this new 7200 should be a bit different.

I do think I will hang onto a Pentax body and invest in some limited primes for the artsy stuff that they seem to do so well, and at a cost that Nikon & Canon cannot match.

Thanks for all the great replies and experience.

10-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,118
QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
I may be a two brand shooter. The Nikon can seem to do action so much better than anything Pentax that I have decided to get the D7200 and try it out with the shooting we do most. Still trying to decide on lenses, but I think I may just get one bundled with a 18-140 to get my feet wet and then decide where to go from there. I started shooting with a Nikon F way back in my late teens, so this new 7200 should be a bit different.

I do think I will hang onto a Pentax body and invest in some limited primes for the artsy stuff that they seem to do so well, and at a cost that Nikon & Canon cannot match.

Thanks for all the great replies and experience.
Good luck and Enjoy, should be fun.
10-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #25
KDD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 357
Nikon D7200 vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis
10-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 524
And if you're talking K-3II, there's the GPS but you lose the built-in flash. Since I'm in the market for the GPS, now I'm considering moving up from a K-50 myself. I'd like the LCD view on top as well, and pixel shifting seems to be pretty cool, if I can get my subjects to stop moving (BTW, any doing any night stuff with pixel shifting? haven't seen much on that). The bummer is that the price of K-50s is pretty low; you can get new ones for under $300 now (the K-50 with the small kit zoom WR lens is $379US at Overstock today).
10-28-2015, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,828
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55
you have the best Pentax lens here, the K3 will make these shine even more !! hope the focus issue go away this time ^^
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k3 vs, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ks2 vs k50 - Dad has fat fingers - m42 lenses MilamBardo Pentax DSLR Discussion 35 10-08-2015 11:22 AM
K50 as a backup to K3 Scorpio71GR Pentax K-30 & K-50 8 03-12-2015 03:11 PM
Pentax 55-300WR on K50 and K3 Setter Dog Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 03-03-2015 07:24 PM
K50 + 18-135WR vs K30 + same. worth extra 170$ ? MK-x Pentax K-30 & K-50 15 08-31-2014 06:56 PM
K3 vs. K50 weather protection WaveDancer Pentax K-3 7 04-18-2014 03:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top