Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this weekend made my mind up to purchase a K3. I have the K50 and K30, yesterday was a blue bird day. I took along 4 of my best lenses that have been fine focus adjusted using a focus pyramid. My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55, out of 250 pictures taken between both cameras and all lenses , only maybe 50 were in sharp focus, the rest had back or front focus issues. I was tempted to throw the lot into the lake but my daughter talked me out of it!

10-19-2015, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I think this weekend made my mind up to purchase a K3. I have the K50 and K30, yesterday was a blue bird day. I took along 4 of my best lenses that have been fine focus adjusted using a focus pyramid. My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55, out of 250 pictures taken between both cameras and all lenses , only maybe 50 were in sharp focus, the rest had back or front focus issues. I was tempted to throw the lot into the lake but my daughter talked me out of it!
Next time don't think of throwing them in the lake, think of sending them to PF members who would like free lenses (like me ).

I don't know if the K-3 will help, but from what I hear it's a lot better.

If I had the money (when I bought my camera) I would have a K-3 not a K-50.
10-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
I have even considered jumping over to Nikon for that very reason.
Well, that would be a good option. Conventional wisdom is that Nikon has the best predictive AF on the planet.

Steve
10-19-2015, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Front/back focus issues can be due to misalignment of the tolerances of the mount and the lenses. If this is a static problem then adjusting them on each body will be needed. The K3 may not help - it is essentially a game of luck - do your lens tolerances suit your mount. If on the other hand it is missed focus due to predictive AF.C then the K-3 may well help.

One thing to try is using live view - if the live view results (static shots) look sharp and the optically focused one's aren't then you have misalignment issues that need AF fine tuning.

Apologies if this is not news to you. I just want to be sure you have the facts if you have not heard of this before.

10-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

Original Poster
I have adjusted my lenses for FF/BF and that seem fine. I'm not fond of live view for my shooting style, although it is very useful for macro work.

I am currently comparing the K3 to the Nikon D7200..... and the Nikon is winning. I like everything about the K3 that brought me to Pentax in the first place; size, build quality, a great interface, great control options, WR bodies and lenses. I Just cannot escape the fear that I will get an improvement in the keeper rate, but not a big enough one to stay with the Pentax brand.

If anyone here has had time behind both cameras, I would love to hear your opinions and experiences. Please give me a reason to get the K3 over the D7200.
10-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My step father shoots the 7200. I think it is a nice camera but I have never spent a lot of time comparing it with my K3.
10-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have adjusted my lenses for FF/BF and that seem fine. I'm not fond of live view for my shooting style, although it is very useful for macro work.

I am currently comparing the K3 to the Nikon D7200..... and the Nikon is winning. I like everything about the K3 that brought me to Pentax in the first place; size, build quality, a great interface, great control options, WR bodies and lenses. I Just cannot escape the fear that I will get an improvement in the keeper rate, but not a big enough one to stay with the Pentax brand.

If anyone here has had time behind both cameras, I would love to hear your opinions and experiences. Please give me a reason to get the K3 over the D7200.
My dad just got the D7200. Great camera. That thing can track just about anything!

My only gripe is that Nikons in general don't have IBIS so one is forced to shoot with tripods or at very high ISOs in low light, but the high ISO images still look pretty good, so I guess it cancels out. Like ISO 12800 images look better than ISO 6400 images from my K-50. A little bit more grainier, but with way more detail.

The Nikon lenses that have image stabilization can get expensive pretty fast. IBIS is the main reason I used to shoot with a Sony DSLR & now with a Pentax DSLR. If you don't care about having IBIS & plan to shoot with tripods or at high ISO in low light, the D7200 is one hell of a camera. I don't think Pentax has anything that can match The D7200's focusing speed & accuracy. But yeah. I still prefer the overall lower cost of Pentax bodies & lenses, hence me being on this forum. Haha!
10-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #23

Original Poster
I may be a two brand shooter. The Nikon can seem to do action so much better than anything Pentax that I have decided to get the D7200 and try it out with the shooting we do most. Still trying to decide on lenses, but I think I may just get one bundled with a 18-140 to get my feet wet and then decide where to go from there. I started shooting with a Nikon F way back in my late teens, so this new 7200 should be a bit different.

I do think I will hang onto a Pentax body and invest in some limited primes for the artsy stuff that they seem to do so well, and at a cost that Nikon & Canon cannot match.

Thanks for all the great replies and experience.

10-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may be a two brand shooter. The Nikon can seem to do action so much better than anything Pentax that I have decided to get the D7200 and try it out with the shooting we do most. Still trying to decide on lenses, but I think I may just get one bundled with a 18-140 to get my feet wet and then decide where to go from there. I started shooting with a Nikon F way back in my late teens, so this new 7200 should be a bit different.

I do think I will hang onto a Pentax body and invest in some limited primes for the artsy stuff that they seem to do so well, and at a cost that Nikon & Canon cannot match.

Thanks for all the great replies and experience.
Good luck and Enjoy, should be fun.
10-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #25
KDD
Veteran Member

Nikon D7200 vs Pentax K-3 - Our Analysis
10-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And if you're talking K-3II, there's the GPS but you lose the built-in flash. Since I'm in the market for the GPS, now I'm considering moving up from a K-50 myself. I'd like the LCD view on top as well, and pixel shifting seems to be pretty cool, if I can get my subjects to stop moving (BTW, any doing any night stuff with pixel shifting? haven't seen much on that). The bummer is that the price of K-50s is pretty low; you can get new ones for under $300 now (the K-50 with the small kit zoom WR lens is $379US at Overstock today).
10-28-2015, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My lenses were FA31. DA70 Limited, DA*16-50 and DA*55
you have the best Pentax lens here, the K3 will make these shine even more !! hope the focus issue go away this time ^^