Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K3 vs K3ii

Hi
I am thinking of upgrading my K7, I thought I was going to get the K3ii, but after reading many reviews I am not sure there is any advantage over the K3. Here in Aus, there is ~$400 difference, so I am thinking of just getting the K3.

Why would I need the K3ii over the K3?

Cheers
Jlou

10-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JLou Quote
If you want built in GPS. Outside of that, honestly not much. The pixel shift is also new but I have yet to find a use for it. For me, the GPS is completely worth the difference. In fact I traded my 1 year old k-3 in on a k-3II just to have the GPS. YMMV.
10-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

An extra stop of SR is included with the update! And GPS replaces flash
10-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
So ...If I dont need the GPS, I am probably better off with the cheaper K3?
That is where I am heading I think ☺

10-18-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So ...If I dont need the GPS, I am probably better off with the cheaper K3?
That is where I am heading I think ☺
That was also my logic and the decision I made. K3 has been a superb choice.
10-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

not just geo tagging, there is built in astrophotography tools on the k3ii.
10-18-2015, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
not just geo tagging, there is built in astrophotography tools on the k3ii.
Functionality is the same as the K-3 + O-GPS1, FWIW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2015, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #8

I picked the K-3 a week ago because I don't think GPS is important to me. Before the purchase, I was worrying about the noise with higher ISO along with the higher pixels count but it seems that it has controlled the noise quite well. The autofocus has great improvement against K5IIs! Won't be a wrong decision!
10-18-2015, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hi
I am thinking of upgrading my K7, I thought I was going to get the K3ii, but after reading many reviews I am not sure there is any advantage over the K3. Here in Aus, there is ~$400 difference, so I am thinking of just getting the K3.

Cheers
Jlou

As of an hour ago, I am the proud owner of a shiny new K3ii to sit alongside my very well-loved and well-used K7. Will be able to do some side by side shots to show you what the K3ii can do compared to the K7. That won't answer the K3 vs K3ii question but will help make up your mind on whether to upgrade or not.

If I can get some astro shots, that might help you to decide whether the extra $400 is money well spent.
10-18-2015, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I would rather have the built-in flash than the GPS, so I'm not upgrading my K3. This is not because I use the flash much by itself; rather, I use it quite often as master or controller for an off-camera P-TTL flash. I would need to buy and carry another flash for that purpose if I had the K3ii.
10-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
As of an hour ago, I am the proud owner of a shiny new K3ii to sit alongside my very well-loved and well-used K7. Will be able to do some side by side shots to show you what the K3ii can do compared to the K7. That won't answer the K3 vs K3ii question but will help make up your mind on whether to upgrade or not.

If I can get some astro shots, that might help you to decide whether the extra $400 is money well spent.
Thanks for that. That will be awesome and much appreciated ☺
Cheers
Jlou
10-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So ...If I dont need the GPS, I am probably better off with the cheaper K3? That is where I am heading I think ☺
Yes, that would be my decision. There are a few other improvements but nothing earth shattering except the GPS. If you don't want GPS get the k-3.
10-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No need to repeat the - on the whole - somewhat incremental feature differences between the K-3 II and K-3. It is really a question if the specific features mentioned above matter for your shooting preferences or not.

Otherwise, I can assure you that over a K-7, which I had shot for several years before I upgraded, the K-3 offers such a substantial leap ahead that you will quickly stop worrying about what you might be sacrificing vs. a K-3 II.

Given the price difference between the two K-3 iterations you're quoting, and some recent deals I've seen where the K-3 was bundled with that lovely DA50 and/or attractive accessories, it's kind of a no-brainer, I'd say.
11-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did it ... My new K3 arrived last week and I am LOVING it.
I will post some photos in the photo sharing thread ☺
11-03-2015, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am very excited as I sit here and wait for my new K-3ii to arrive tomorrow. I ultimately decided to go with the 3ii because as I look back over the last 5 years I owned my K-5 I have tried to take shots of the moon and sky about 5-6 times a year, and I think I've used the onboard flash twice. I am very much an available light photographer and I just don't use the flash much. I am far more likely to crank up the iso than flip up the flash if the lighting is a little low.

Now that that trade-off is decided, I think I like the slightly better SR, AF and then I'll also be able to experiment with the pixel-shift.