Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just in case someone else is on the fence the "slightly better sr" may only be an update in name. There are speculations that the change merely reflects a change in testing and certification.

11-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just in case someone else is on the fence the "slightly better sr" may only be an update in name. There are speculations that the change merely reflects a change in testing and certification.
Depends on your point of view. Anecdotally their are personal reports of better sr in the II model.

Make of it what you will.r
11-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Depends on your point of view. Anecdotally their are personal reports of better sr in the II model.

Make of it what you will.r
That's news to me. I had not seen any. If you can point me in the direction of those I would appreciate it. I was under the impression this wasn't really anything other than a paper update in the SR department. I would love to know it was an actual improvement but I imagine it is hard to test methodically.
11-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I imagine it is hard to test methodically.
Almost impossible I suspect, at least without test gear of some sort. I have k-3 and k-3II and as far as I can tell there is no difference. Not saying there isn't a difference, only that in the real world I cannot see it.

11-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Almost impossible I suspect, at least without test gear of some sort. I have k-3 and k-3II and as far as I can tell there is no difference. Not saying there isn't a difference, only that in the real world I cannot see it.
That's sort of what I understood. 1 stop delta may be hard to test using human hands that know which camera they are holding...
10-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you want built in GPS. Outside of that, honestly not much. The pixel shift is also new but I have yet to find a use for it. For me, the GPS is completely worth the difference. In fact I traded my 1 year old k-3 in on a k-3II just to have the GPS. YMMV.
Just my curiousity: can you tell how much extra battery power the GPS functionality takes? Easier said: how much more picture can you shoot by turning off GPS?

Best regards,
10-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do not have the K3ii, but I do have the K-1, which also has GPS. I use it all the time and have not noticed any significantly increased battery drainage.

Of course, comparing the K3ii to the K3, the latter has built-in flash, which is likely to draw much more power than GPS if you're using it.

10-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that the OP has chosen a K 3

this post is for others who may be considering choosing between a K 3 and K 3 II

what would you use more

fill in flash or any flash or gps tracking?

as Adam said, you can get the accessory GPS unit ( which will prevent use of a flash when in use ) and have GPS capability with the K 3

otherwise, I don't see any advantage of the K 3 II over the K 3 for me and I would put any money saved towards a lens. IMHO, YMMV

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-7 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
10-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #24

I want to step up from my K5 to the K3II because of the better low-light performance, faster focus and higher shooting speed (raw fps). When I need a flash I'll take my Sigma EF500DG flash. The lenses I have (16-50/2.8, 50-135/2.8, F50/1.7) didn't bring me in a position that I needed that in the last 2 years (or I only use the camera on occasions that I have enough light ;-) ). As a walkaround lens I use my 18-135, which only sometimes doesn't give me the speed I would like to have. As said I addapt the gear to the circumstances I expect on my shoot.

Regards,
Mischa
10-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mischa72 Quote
Just my curiousity: can you tell how much extra battery power the GPS functionality takes? Easier said: how much more picture can you shoot by turning off GPS?
I am sure it has to be something but honestly I leave mine on all the time and never noticed a drain. Except if the camera is not used for several weeks, I have had the battery dead when I picked it up then. Never a problem in my daily shooter which is now the K-1 but my backup has gone dead a couple of times. But that might have been a month between charges.
No significant difference in my shooting on a daily basis.
10-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mischa72 Quote
I want to step up from my K5 to the K3II because of the better low-light performance, faster focus and higher shooting speed (raw fps).
Not sure what you mean with "low-light performance"; the K-3II will definitely be better at focusing in low light, both speed and precision, but the K-5 has better dynamic range and I think they are about equal for high-ISO noise (at same resolution).

The K-3II is a better camera overall. Not massively at any point, but slightly improved in a lot of ways. The speed of operation and speed of focusing the most notable to me - especially when picking up the K-5 once in a while.
10-23-2017, 01:38 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not sure what you mean with "low-light performance"; the K-3II will definitely be better at focusing in low light, both speed and precision,
That's exactley what I need
10-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Staying with my K-3 for now.