Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #31

There's usually a hidden battery inside the battery chamber, its hidden but if you look you just might find it. Pull that out.

10-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Interesting! Any idea how easy it is to remove the mode dial?
It isn't easy at all!

You have to take out at least a dozen screws, pulling the top part of the body from the bottom, exposing all the circuit boards to get at it from inside. It is really not a task for the faint of heart. And with a weather sealed body, is more complicated due to the weather sealing.

You're more likely to lose screws or lose track of where screws go (there are at least 3 different kind in my K-r for example) than you are repair it.. unless you are meticulous with your extraction. And then, if a part is damaged, you'd need a replacement.

Your best option, should you successfully take apart the camera without damaging any of the fragile wires holding the many circuit boards together, would be to have a dirty contact.

oh and putting it back together is infuriatingly difficult because it has to go on backwards and at a proper orientation in it's respective place. Otherwise your modes will be off from what they say on the top of the dial. With seals it probably is even more 'fun' in getting them all to line up properly while trying to reattach parts. No thanks.
10-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fernandezinmecca Quote
There's usually a hidden battery inside the battery chamber, its hidden but if you look you just might find it. Pull that out.
Could you please explain in a little more detail? Are you implying that pulling out this "hidden battery" will reset something? Is there any documentation to back up this theory?

---------- Post added Oct 24th, 2015 at 08:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It isn't easy at all! You have to take out at least a dozen screws, pulling the top part of the body from the bottom,.................
Thanks for the info, I guess it's not that important to get back Aperture Priority... I'm hoping if it's a dirty contact, that maybe after some time, it will correct itself.
10-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Could you please explain in a little more detail? Are you implying that pulling out this "hidden battery" will reset something? Is there any documentation to back up this theory?

---------- Post added Oct 24th, 2015 at 08:49 ----------

Thanks for the info, I guess it's not that important to get back Aperture Priority... I'm hoping if it's a dirty contact, that maybe after some time, it will correct itself.
It does for Canon, sorry for the mix up. I'm in the wrong forum.

10-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fernandezinmecca Quote
It does for Canon, sorry for the mix up. I'm in the wrong forum.
No problem!
02-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hello 12345,

I'll be having the same problem soon. I've just got me a manual only, like yours, K-30 for a hefty sum of 55 euros with shipping and will surely try to repair it once it arrives in a week or so. I will let you in on the details if it is a simple repair. I will not bother to repair if the mode dial needs replacing as M mode will suffice for my needs.

Best regards,

Marko
03-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, just to report now when I've opened up the beast and inspected the problem.

My k30 arrived today, 8700 shutter actuations on it, production date Oct 2012.

First of all, the good thing is, it is rather easy to take the top cover of the camera and there are no many possibilities for an error (two strap screws, three flash screws, one battery compartment screw, two viewfinder screws and one on the side, by the raw button). I doubt that with the k-5IIs things would be any different.

Second, whoever opened up mine before me, did not know what he was doing and managed to completely cut the flex cable and damage the connector. Therefore, I won't be repairing mine, as the parts to do it would set me back about 70 euros and some tinkering and I can still use the camera in manual mode, but without lv and rear panel dial as well. Luckily, the first tests both with homemade and m42 lenses show that it meters nicely. With k, m, a lenses no issues in M mode. For 55e I am happy

Conclusion, on the other hand, is that the possibilities for an error exist but only if you do not know how to open a flex cable connector. Shame to the person who did it

Nevertheless, I would advise anybody with the dial issues to sneak a peak at the problem. Mode dial can not die just like that, being a mechanical thingy, neither can a flex cable, especially not without a serious blow or after a couple of thousand actuations and therefore the solution is probably a greasy connector cleaning or similar.

03-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Whoa, wait, did nobody recommend to check the lens and camera mount? Camera will default to M mode if it cannot recognize the lens. Make sure the mount is clean, free of dirt, grime, or damage. Try another lens.
But it could also be the mode dial. There may be some threads or blog posts about removing it somewhere on the internet

Edit: This post refers to the original problem. Not sure how it got resolved
03-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey thanks, @Audi 5 cyl !

That's some very useful information! I've been using my K-5IIs in M mode for several months now, and nothing has changed at all... If I ever get a good chance, I just might try taking it apart! Did you get any pictures that might show some details about the teardown?

@Na Horuk, Like I said above, I've been using this camera now for several months, with various lenses, and nothing has changed.
03-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #40

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I say the mode dial is broken...
Your reply: No **** Sherlock!

---------- Post added 21-10-15 at 09:14 ----------

Now trying to be helpful.
After a google search this problem in not uncommon.
Most threads suggest a factory reset.
Is your firmware fully updated, if not some threads suggest updating it to the latest version.
Adam says in another thread:
I just fixed a nearly identical issue on my GR with some specialized electronics cleaner. Ck the GR sub forum for details.
03-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

@12345

I did not take any pictures while dismantling but I can repeat the process on Wednesday and document it. I will post the pictures or video here when done.

Meantime, I would like to share a trick I discovered that lets me use Aperture priority mode without the Mode dial. Once the mode dial is corrupted, the camera jumps automatically to M mode, except if the Auto ISO is on, when it jumps to Av mode. Further, on k-30 it is possible to limit the ISO range and set it for example to 100-800 or other depending on the needs.

For me, as I use many lenses that have not been made for modern cameras, or cameras for that matter, this solution works well and even if I do not have the Lv button, cannot delete pictures on the camera, i do not have rear e-dial and mode dial, I can use the AV and M modes. This actually fits my needs very well as I have never used anything else than those on k-x and my bridge cameras. Additionally, k-30 is a lot better than k-x when it comes to light metering in Av mode, usually spot on.

I hope this info helps.
03-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, very helpful! I'll have to try that, because I almost always end up getting a few "worthless" shots first, till I get the exposure nailed...
03-06-2016, 01:31 AM   #43
Forum Member

Pentax service manuals are not easy to find any more. As far as I know K10d was the last model where Pentax provided this technical manual. You will still find a copy here. With a lot of pictures taken during the disassembly and assembly process.

I am rather sure you will face similarities when you start up with your tools. Good luck!
03-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a parts break-down for the K7 at the Pentax hacks. Should be very similar to the K5.
03-06-2016, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had to dig around...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo