Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #1

Ahhh help please?

Hi Guys,
I'm in need of urgent help. I just got my camera back from one of my friends and I took it out to grab some pictures of the snow. When I was switching lenses I think perhaps a bit of snow or water went into my camera.

Now when I look through the view finder the light is blurred. Eg: If i was to take a picture of a window looking out into the sky, then the window and everything would be in focus but the light will be 'smudged' upwards and downswards through the window and it would blur around the edges of the eyepiece. Any suggestions on what I can do? It's a pentax ist dl. I've already used my hurricane blower to try and clean out any dust on the ccd and lenses. I've also used the built in ccd cleaner. No luck with either.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this and how to fix i would really be grateful!

[Also when i take a picture of a light source it now seems to 'blink' that light source black and normal. When i hit playback the picture comes out okay though, but it never used to do that!]

02-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's probably some fog on the outside of the focusing screen, so either try carefully wiping it (with appropriate tissue) or take it in to a camera store for cleaning.

If any of the water managed to work its way into the inside of the camera, you'll need to get it repaired by a pro ASAP. It could obviously lead to permanent damage to the camera as well as to fugus in the lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Remove the lens and let your camera and lenses dry first at room temperature for several hours. Looks to me as a simple condensation. If camera was cold while switching lenses (and especially after moving indoors from a cold weather) then it is certain. Nothing to worry about. Let us know how it worked.

-= IVAN =-
02-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
There's probably some fog on the outside of the focusing screen, so either try carefully wiping it (with appropriate tissue) or take it in to a camera store for cleaning.

If any of the water managed to work its way into the inside of the camera, you'll need to get it repaired by a pro ASAP. It could obviously lead to permanent damage to the camera as well as to fugus in the lenses.
Please DONT try to clean focusing screen and mirror by wiping if not absolutely necesessary.

Let it dry first as Ivan said.

I also suppose it is just some humidity and can be solved easily.

If you dont have proper cleaning fluid and pads you can make more damage to the mirror than any good.

And focusing screen is NOT at all cleanable. You can just try to blow dust away from it of can very carefully try to pick dust particles away with the corner of very clean pad.

Screen is made of plastic and in its surface is very fine pattern. Just touching it with any hard item will cause horrible scratches and using any other liquid than water can melt it.....it is very delicate item.

02-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
DON'T ever try to wipe or rub the focus screen with anything. It is a piece of very soft plastic which will be ruined permanently if you do. It is possible that the water drop maybe hit the outer side of the focus screen and left some smear (should reveal itself under spot light). If so, remove the screen from the camera, flush it with warm tap water, blow off all the water drops immediately. Redo this till the screen is smear free. Just be extra careful and handle the screen's edges only. It is a good idea to wash your hands so they are oil free first. And don't use alcohol on the screen.
02-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Agreed. I clean focusing screen the same way, except that I first rinse the screen to get rid of bigger and potentially sharp particles, then put a little bit of soap between my fingers and "lightly" rub the screen to degrease it, and finally I rinse it again avoiding to touch it this time. Then I use compressed air to blow water away and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. Works very good for me!

WARING: make sure not do drop your screen to the sink and especially not to rinse it down the sewer! (Cover the hole with something.)