Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Warning while selling a camera

The K-5 II was my first Pentax, which I really enjoyed. But I recently purchased the new K-S2 mainly for the fold out LCD screen. I listed the K-5 II for sale locally and it was sold. The person who purchased the camera explained that he did have a K-5 which was stolen and claimed he was a knowledgeable camera user. He had brought with him a prime 50mm lens to try out on the camera, which I allowed him to mount and try to take some photos. He indicated the lens was a auto focus lens and complained the camera was not auto focusing. He then started turning the lens focus ring back and forth before handing the camera & lens over to me. First thing I checked was the focus selector on the camera, thankfully it was on manual focus. I then looked at the lens, it was a manual focus lens with the "A" setting. He thought the "A" on the lens was for auto focus, I explained the A was for aperture control, so the aperture could be controlled by the camera. I had with me my 35mm macro lens, but he didn't want to try it out and did purchase the camera anyway.
My point in all this is the possibility that he could have damaged the screw drive in the camera if he had attempted to use the lens focus ring while the camera was in auto focus mode? Can the camera be damage by attempting to turn the focus ring of a manual focus lens with the camera body set to auto focus? In the future if selling a camera I will know to examine & mount any lens that a buyer brings with them.

10-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In short No, A manual focus lens, cannot damage the autofocus mechanism. There is no shaft to connect to the autofocus connector on the camera so it cannot damage the camera. there is also a spring mechanism to prevent the shaft connector from trying to be extended into the mounting ring. Only the infamous Rico lenses, could have any effect on the autofocus at all. and that subject has been discussed many times.

the buyer obviously did not have very much experience with an autofocus camera, Since he did not know the difference.
10-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My point in all this is the possibility that he could have damaged the screw drive in the camera if he had attempted to use the lens focus ring while the camera was in auto focus mode? Can the camera be damage by attempting to turn the focus ring of a manual focus lens with the camera body set to auto focus?
No, for both questions.

Lenses older than the F series don't offer the "digital" contact, so the body knows the lens is not an AF one. In this case the body will not try to use the screw drive.

The only setting you could use on an "A" or older lens that will affect couplings on the mount is the aperture ring. But, as the indicator on the lens mount is not used or tested by any Pentax DSLR, and also not by some late bodies of the film era, even there not any problem.
10-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can damage the screwdrive by using MF in AF mode?

10-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
You can damage the screwdrive by using MF in AF mode?
Yes, if it is an AF lens and does not offer the Pentax "Quick Shift". But I think you may more likely damage the lens than the body.
And probably not by doing it accidentally just once.
10-24-2015, 03:09 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Yes, if it is an AF lens and does not offer the Pentax "Quick Shift".
...and if the lens uses the screw drive from the body. Additionally, some lenses lacking "Quick Shift", do offer an AF clutch in the lens to quickly disengage the mechanical drive at the lens. A good general rule is to not attempt manual focus while the AF system on either lens or camera is engaged unless you are familiar with the operation of both.*

The OP's warning is a valid one and might be broadened:
  • Do not allow the buyer to mount any lens to the camera until it has been inspected by you
  • Do not allow the mount of any adapted lens brought by the buyer
  • Do not allow the mount or connection of any flash brought by the buyer
  • Do not allow the buyer to dismount your lens from the camera
  • Do not assume the buyer knows how to operate the camera just because they say so
  • Guard all ports and connections (PC, USB, AV/HDMI, remote release, and card slots) and demonstrate their use before allowing the buyer to mess with them
  • Inspect all cables the buyer might want to try with your camera
In regards to the first point, the things to look for are:
  • Ricoh pin
  • Obvious damage to the mount or AF drive pawl
  • Bent aperture actuator
  • Stuck, sticky, or otherwise "less than snappy" operation of the aperture actuator
  • Rough, sticky, or otherwise "less than smooth" focus mechanism with a screw-driven AF lens
Any of the above constitutes potential risk to the camera body.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-24-2015 at 03:21 PM.
10-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wonder if the buyer was playing dumb and trying to see if he could fool you into thinking the problem was with your camera as a way to get a steep discount for taking it off your hands?
10-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Any of the above constitutes potential risk to the camera body.
Now THERE'S a useful 'sticky' -- and excellent advice for all.

10-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Wonder if the buyer was playing dumb and trying to see if he could fool you into thinking the problem was with your camera as a way to get a steep discount for taking it off your hands?
Thank you all for the information. I am sure it might be of help to others like myself. As to above, that might be. He did try and offer less than what I was selling it for. I just remained firm and stated that any less and I would just keep it as a second camera. The buyer grumbled a little, but then counted out the money. I was a little surprised that if he originally thought something was wrong why wouldn't he want to try the camera with the DA 35 macro I had brought with me. If I was buying a used camera I would want to make sure it function correctly. Does not matter now, he purchased it.

By the way, when I am buying or selling something from Craig's list, I always meet in a coffee shop, not my house.