Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need to upgrade from K-x

My K-x has served me well for many years, but I'm doing more shooting in lower light situations. Mostly wild life with Sigma 150 - 500 mm lens. Even at just 400 iso, I'm getting too much noise. I see there's good deals on the K-50 now. Will that camera have less noise at up to 800 iso? What other Pentax DSLRs are out there that handle higher iso's? Price is important. The K-50 for just under $300 could be made to fit our budget.

10-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobIr Quote
My K-x has served me well for many years, but I'm doing more shooting in lower light situations. Mostly wild life with Sigma 150 - 500 mm lens. Even at just 400 iso, I'm getting too much noise. I see there's good deals on the K-50 now. Will that camera have less noise at up to 800 iso? What other Pentax DSLRs are out there that handle higher iso's? Price is important. The K-50 for just under $300 could be made to fit our budget.
The K-50 is the best value at the moment, and it does exhibit less noise than the K-x. The new 20-megapixel sensor is also pretty good, though, so I wouldn't cross the K-S2 off your list of options unless the price is prohibitive (I believe it's just under $500 at the moment). You'd get better everyday image quality from it thanks to the higher resolution and lack of an AA filter, among other improvements.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

K-50 all the way, for the price. It'll be worth it. But if you are good with your cameras, i.e. keep them a long time, perhaps invest in the K-s2 because it does offer some great new features that you may or may not need. If you don't need them, K-50 all the way.
10-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

With the current market, you're not going to do better than the K-50 for $300.
I got one two years ago (at a higher price) to upgrade from the K-x,
and have been very happy with it.

Some tests (e.g. in the PF analysis of the 645Z) suggest that the K-50 at 6400 ISO
is doing better there than the other APS-C options with Pentax.

BTW, if you're having trouble with noise from the K-x at 400 ISO,
have you explored various noise-reduction options?
Of course, they're all a trade-off with detail,
so you need to find the compromise that's right for what you want.

10-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
But if you are good with your cameras, i.e. keep them a long time, perhaps invest in the K-s2
Yes, I try to get the longest life from my cameras. But, as I'll be turning 70 in Dec. that's not an issue. Next camera will probably outlast me.
K 50 looks like the best bet. Thanks for all the help.
12-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
dlh

K-50 has a software-controlled noise reduction feature that slows down the mirror, but I don't use it. Without it, the camera's quieter than any other I've used.