Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 II rear curtain flash issue (not lag)

My K-3 II is driving me insane... It occasionally seems to miss the sync with the flash, causing underexposed images (the flash goes off, but it seems to go off at a much lower power). This happens with my Metz 48 AF-1 in P-TTL, and after some experimentation I've noticed it happens usually in rear curtain sync mode with the flash head set to bounce. The biggest problem is it works fine 70% of the time, and than just randomly underexposes the image. I first thought the flash was the problem, but it works fine on my K-500, and after contacting Metz, they claim it should work fine. I've also notice this happening on occasion while using a radio trigger with the flash in manual mode, so it would appear the K-3 II is at fault here, right?
Anyone else experience a similar problem? Even though it's under warranty, I'd really prefer not to return the camera and wait 30+ days for a new/fixed one, so any ideas are appreciated.

Here's an example. Both pictures were taken 2 seconds apart in manual mode with identical settings (yes, the flash was re-charged).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've seen that too.
But I don't have any specific details to add to your plight.
FWIW: there have been occasional "hiccups" with my Nikon system too, but nothing like 30% error rate.

M
10-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The exif says the flash is in manual mode. What were the manual settings?
10-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayn Quote
My K-3 II is driving me insane... It occasionally seems to miss the sync with the flash, causing underexposed images (the flash goes off, but it seems to go off at a much lower power). This happens with my Metz 48 AF-1 in P-TTL, and after some experimentation I've noticed it happens usually in rear curtain sync mode with the flash head set to bounce. The biggest problem is it works fine 70% of the time, and than just randomly underexposes the image. I first thought the flash was the problem, but it works fine on my K-500, and after contacting Metz, they claim it should work fine. I've also notice this happening on occasion while using a radio trigger with the flash in manual mode, so it would appear the K-3 II is at fault here, right?
Anyone else experience a similar problem? Even though it's under warranty, I'd really prefer not to return the camera and wait 30+ days for a new/fixed one, so any ideas are appreciated.

Here's an example. Both pictures were taken 2 seconds apart in manual mode with identical settings (yes, the flash was re-charged).
It looks as if you took the pics immediately one right after the other.
Could this be recycle time? Taking a picture too soon one right after the other may not be giving enough time for the flash to recycle for the second picture. especialy if the batteries are low.
Regards, Dusty

10-26-2015, 04:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The exif says the flash is in manual mode. What were the manual settings?
The flash was a hot-shoe mounted Metz 48 AF1 in P-TTL mode with rear curtain sync on (a flash setting in the flash itself), head vertical in bounce mode. Why it says manual in EXIF is a good question...

QuoteOriginally posted by Dusty Quote
It looks as if you took the pics immediately one right after the other.
Could this be recycle time? Taking a picture too soon one right after the other may not be giving enough time for the flash to recycle for the second picture. especialy if the batteries are low.
Regards, Dusty
No, this was the first thing I checked.

Last edited by Rayn; 10-26-2015 at 07:13 AM.
10-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

If you called Metz you've probably already thought about it, but have you upgraded the firmware on the flash itself?

I have a 50 AF-1 and I was upset to see that the high speed sync was dimmer than I would have expected, to the point of not being useful. After more testing I realized that it wasn't syncing correctly with the shutter, so I checked and found there was an available firmware upgrade. After I upgraded the firmware on the flash it works great. It's a piece of cake to upgrade, but you will need a mini-USB cable though. (My, how quickly standards evolve - I had to dig for an old phone charger since all my current devices use micro-USB!)
10-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
If you called Metz you've probably already thought about it, but have you upgraded the firmware on the flash itself?

I have a 50 AF-1 and I was upset to see that the high speed sync was dimmer than I would have expected, to the point of not being useful. After more testing I realized that it wasn't syncing correctly with the shutter, so I checked and found there was an available firmware upgrade. After I upgraded the firmware on the flash it works great. It's a piece of cake to upgrade, but you will need a mini-USB cable though. (My, how quickly standards evolve - I had to dig for an old phone charger since all my current devices use micro-USB!)
I'm afraid I already tried that, but the latest FW update was years ago and I have the latest FW installed.

This is a major issue for me as I often shoot club events, and this problem has already caused a few awkward situations. The irony is the K-500, my old camera, works just fine with this setup.