Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual focus lenses on DSLR's

What Pentax DSLR's focus manually the best, especially with Pentax manual focus lenses?

10-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
What Pentax DSLR's focus manually the best, especially with Pentax manual focus lenses?
My favorite is the Pentax k100d Super. Very simple adjustment to tell the camera to accept the aperture setting, and you are good to go. A lot of fun to get back to the manual setting days. I hope this helps.

Tonytee
10-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The newer ones also support magnification and focus peaking in Live View, Kshapero.
10-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For manual focus the ability to tell what is in focus is what is most important, IMHO. The k-5 was better than anything I had used previously but the k-3 is even better through the viewfinder. If you can use live view with focus peaking then that is even better. I find focusing peaking to work great on a tripod, not so much for me hand held.

For focus peaking the k-3 and the k-50 will work. As well as the newer K-S2

10-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Anything with good live view focusing aides, which currently translates to the newer the better. The K-3 is probably the best with its "large" viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My interest is to be able to focus in the VF not Live view. I guess the newer the better.
10-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

pentax has always had better viewfinders. basically anything with a prism instead of a mirror box.
10-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use Live View on my K-50, viewfinder only, with the magnifying viewfinder.. I also find focus confirmation quite useful...

10-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I removed my O-ME53 magnifier from my K10 and put it on the K3. I had no trouble detecting focus with the K3 standard screen. Check my Flickr for some M 400 shots taken with the combo.
10-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will suggest K-S2, which has bigger viewfinder (0.95 vs 0.92 on K5, K10D and earlier models are even smaller). It can make MF a lot easier if you want to use the OFV.
The live view on KS2 is also much better than K5 and any camera earlier. focus peeking and magnification are way better than any Pentax cameras before K3.
And its LCD screen design.
And I think the focus screen on KS2 is different from K5 and cameras earlier, not just bigger, but I feel it is easier to confirm focus. DOV shown on this screen is more accurate than earlier screens -- it could just my feeling.

---------- Post added 10-25-15 at 09:08 PM ----------

But a dedicated MF focusing screen is way better than anything else. With a split screen, I can focus Tamron 300/2.8 with 1.7x promaster teleconverter on K20D. I caught some nice pictures of hummingbird, focusing spot on.
10-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This afternoon I got out with the K-3, standard focusing screen, K400/5.6 (mostly at f/5.6) and tripod, shooting sunlit patches through distant fall color leaves. Once I had GB exposure set I focused in LV, then flipped to OVF (to reduce shutter vibration) and the delay timer (to reduce finger vibration). After a couple dozen shots I just used the OVF without LV and they were sharply focused. I am pleased I can register focus through the VF without glasses.
10-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot this, this afternoon, using my K-5 and the 50mm F1.7, hand-held, through the viewfinder focussing.
Clematis flower by pentaxianspentax on DeviantArt
Any Pentax DSLR will do. I think, like others have said, the K-3 will do the trick rather nicely.