Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

AE Metering

So what metering do most people use? I was trying to figure out what worked better for me and went with Center-Weighted. My assumption is that most pictures I take I want will be the exposure in the center is what need to be. Am I wrong or should I go back to the multi-segment?

02-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of people have 'preferences' as to metering; and most are willing to show you their own personal 'right way' for doing things. The reality is that you must do two things to make a successful image: manage the subject brightness range so things appear in appropriate detail and luminosity and second, expose the subject in the most pleasing manner.

That may require full frame matrix metering, center-weighted metering or several spot meterings. You may also need to make appropriate adjustments either by directly manipulating the aperture and shutter speed or by dialing in some compensation.

I could recommend several books on the subject (let me know) or just say that you seem to have a grasp of your current needs and there is little to fault in your current technique--i.e. you are NOT wrong.

Are there better techniques? Probably, and some that are worse. We often see your particular question in photo forums-and the 'answers' should pour in. Like anything else, like everything else in this hobby/craft, practice and careful, objective (self) critique are the essential skills for improvement. If it seems to be working, keep doing it to see if you can make it work better!
02-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost always use center-weight metering along with healthy use of exposure compensation. With the K10 (as opposed to the DS) I find myself using spot metering often.

I only concern myself with my main subject and ignore the blinking highlights and shadows of surrounding objects.
02-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I use different modes depending on what I'm photographing, in fact I wish metering modes were accessed with the "fn" button instead of having to go thru the menu. If what I'm photographing has a very bright spot or two, or if it's completely backlit, I'll use spot metering on the brightest spots so that I don't blow the highlights. If it's a portrait (person, plant or animal) or a significant piece of architecture, I usually use center weighted to concentrate my attention on the most important part of the photo. For landscapes, 'documentation' type photo's, and most wide angle shots I use matrix. But I really don't have a favorite, I bounce around a lot.

NaCl(and sometimes, when I've changed metering for a particular shot, I forget to change it back )H2O

02-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Ed in GA

Linking AF Point and AE during multisegmented metering.

The default for this custom setting is "Off"

I wonder if anyone uses them linked? If so, why
02-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I use different modes depending on what I'm photographing, in fact I wish metering modes were accessed with the "fn" button instead of having to go thru the menu. H2O
On the K10 and *istD the metering mode is selected via a three position switch (spot centre-weighted and matrix) on top of the camera..

dave
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

As an old dog unwilling to relearn things I use spot metering only. I just wish it was atad more narrow.
There is no right or wrong; use a method that suits your shooting style and learn from the pictures that was exposed wrong. You'll find the way that is best for you.
02-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

With my inexperience the only problem I have with spot metering is knowing what to point it at to get the "correct" exposure.

02-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #9

I'm with you Arpe, I blew out 95% of the shots I took the other day of birds on a sunny day using spot metering on the wrong spot It's going to take a lot of reading and playing with the settings to get a good feel for it. At least I'm not paying for film to be developed while learning
02-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe this would help

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
With my inexperience the only problem I have with spot metering is knowing what to point it at to get the "correct" exposure.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/3020-using-k-lens-...html#post24542

-= IVAN =-
02-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

almost always on center weighted, spot on certain applications or when needed, almost never on matrix
02-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

See:-

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review

.. for all the details.

QuoteOriginally posted by hmcfly Quote
So what metering do most people use? I was trying to figure out what worked better for me and went with Center-Weighted. My assumption is that most pictures I take I want will be the exposure in the center is what need to be. Am I wrong or should I go back to the multi-segment?
02-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I use center weighted a good deal of the time - since that's what I "grew up" with and I'm used to it. I turn to the spot meter, as well (I used to carry one in my film days, because my MX and LX's didn't have one). One of the key reasons I bought a K10D so soon after getting a DS2 was that activating the spot meter on a K10D doesn't require spooling through a menu.

Jerry
02-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Forum Member

I use all 3

It depends on what I am shooting as to what metering I use.

Multi segment - fairly consistently lit landscape while using a wide-ish lens

Centre weighted - tighter zoomed scene, again with reasonably consistent lighting, goal is to use the centre of the scene to meter from

Spot - always with a long zoom; or where lighting is inconsistent so I meter using spot on the area of the scene that has the level of lighting I am wanting to use.
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
Inactive Account

This may help........

How to ...