Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Dust in the Viewfinder - Cleaning Tips?

Hello, I'm a proud owner of a Pentax K100D Super. I LOVE IT! I'd outgrown my P&S Fuji and I'm glad I bought a DSLR rather than another P&S camera!

I have a question. I haven't run into any problems with sensor dust, I don't have to change lenses too often. But I do have some dust and small fibers thave gotten into the viewscreen inside the camera. I read the manual and it told me how to clean the sensor, etc., but not the viewfinder. How do you clean yours?

06-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are ways to clean it, but if you can live with it, I'd recommend doing so. The sensor isn't difficult to clean but getting the viewfinder specks out can be tricky. Possible, but tricky.
06-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
There are ways to clean it, but if you can live with it, I'd recommend doing so. The sensor isn't difficult to clean but getting the viewfinder specks out can be tricky. Possible, but tricky.
Agreed. leave it alone and learn to live with it. The most I would do is either use a blower to see if I could puff any dust off the bottom of the screen, or perhaps very carefully use a squirt can of gas (Dust-Off or it's ilk) to gently blow the bottom of the screen. The danger here is that becuase the mirror is down, both it's mechanicals and the shutter itself can be quite easily damaged by the jet of gas, so if you choose this route, do it carefully, and blame only yourself if you wreck the equipment.
I find the screens in these DSLR camera to be exceptionally fiddly to remove and replace, so if the dust is on top of the screen, just learn to ignore it.
06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Merely trying to use a blower to try to blow off the dust on the focusing screen is a surefire way to introduce more dust. The best method is to remove the focusing screen and blow it off in a clean environment that is preferably static free.

It is quite simple to remove the focusing screen if you know how but if you're unsure, best to get it professionally done. One thing to note is that there are minute ridges and bumps on the reverse side of the focusing screen (fresnel lines and ground surfaces) and if you leave the dust there long enough, it will remain embedded and be difficult to remove. But it will not affect camera operation.

06-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leave it alone!

All I can say is leave it alone. If it does not impact your shooting or vision, there is more risk of doing harm by tryuing to clean it than there is by just leaving it there.

There have been horror stories posted about damaging the viewing screen or worse, by people who were too aggressive in the cleanig of thier cameras.

I have 5 SLRs, 3 film 2 digital, they all get dust in the view finder at some point. concentrate at looking past the dust to the image, just like looking through a slightly dirty windshield