Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good older dslr to dedicate to MF lenses

Hey, was just wondering which older model pentax dslr would be a good choice to dedicate to MF lenses. Something I can replace the VF screen in as I don't want to do that to my k50. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something basic that captures nice images. I prefer using MF lenses from time to time. It's a really nice change of pace. And there is just so much affordable, nice, legacy glass out there that I'd love to mess around with. Sure it'll never be a set up that I use very often but I'd like the option to do so.

And cheaper the better as far as the camera goes. Thanks

10-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would seriously consider getting another K50 or a K30. and replacing the screen in it. I use the focus peaking quite often for MF, and i don't think it was available before this generation.

Although, if you don't use it at all, i'd be tempted to look into something with a CCD (K10D is the latest i believe) Just because it would provide a slightly different look then your K50.
10-28-2015, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have used my *ist-DL for this, had it not been declared unrepairable when I finally submitted it to Pentax/Ricoh Canada. In fact, it was going to be not only my permanent MF lens camera but also my permanent Takumar camera. The only problem I would see with this is I'm not sure whether any of the aftermarket VF kits out there would be suited for it. It was a good platform while it lasted, and if it hadn't turned up toes just north of 10,000 clicks I'd probably still be using it.
10-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
I would seriously consider getting another K50 or a K30. and replacing the screen in it. I use the focus peaking quite often for MF, and i don't think it was available before this generation.

Although, if you don't use it at all, i'd be tempted to look into something with a CCD (K10D is the latest i believe) Just because it would provide a slightly different look then your K50.
I was kinda thinking this would be my best bet but I'd rather not spend that much. It's really just for fun. If I could find a used one for like $100 (doubtful) then sure. Though I will be buying a k3 early next year so maybe I'll just turn my k50 into a MF camera. But any excuse to buy more gear is a good excuse in my book
So I'm ok buying an older body.

---------- Post added 10-28-15 at 11:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I would have used my *ist-DL for this, had it not been declared unrepairable when I finally submitted it to Pentax/Ricoh Canada. In fact, it was going to be not only my permanent MF lens camera but also my permanent Takumar camera. The only problem I would see with this is I'm not sure whether any of the aftermarket VF kits out there would be suited for it. It was a good platform while it lasted, and if it hadn't turned up toes just north of 10,000 clicks I'd probably still be using it.
I also kinda figured there wouldn't be much in the way of aftermarket screens for older stuff. But ill have to look into that.

10-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In some ways, this is an easy question. In other ways, not so easy, but here goes!

...thinking, thinking, thinking...

Assuming you are wanting to include non-A-contact lenses in the mix: K-7 or K-5 or (ideally) K-3

Rational:
  • Non-flagship models have the highest incidence of strange behaviors when not mated to A-contact glass
  • Models prior to the K-7, with the possible exception of the *istD series, have very flaky stop-down metering. As a former K10D owner, I cannot emphasize this point too much. The price point for a K-7 vs. a K20D is not much, but worth every penny.
  • Flagship models have a straightforward M mode implementation where auto-iso is never part of the mix.
  • The inclusion of the K-3 is based on addition of f/2.8 center column sensors in the AF array and availability of magnified live view with focus peaking. All of these make fine focus with fast manual focus lenses easier. I know the K-3 is hardly "older", but I would be amiss if I did not point out its advantages. I might also add that my vintage lenses do quite well with the 24 Mpx sensor.

Steve
10-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to look at the k-01. Mirrorless, but with fairly good focus peaking. Dirt cheap right now. I used mine with manual M42 lenses for some time before I got the k-3.
10-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
so maybe I'll just turn my k50 into a MF camera
If you have a trouble-free K-50, that is your obvious answer. You will already be familiar with how it behaves with manual focus glass and it has a great sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I also kinda figured there wouldn't be much in the way of aftermarket screens for older stuff. But ill have to look into that.
There are only a few variants of Pentax dSLR focus screens and all are pretty well-supported by the vendors, though your best bet would be bodies using the current screen (models K-7 and newer).

Steve

10-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I shoot mostly manual lenses (Zeiss ZK and Voightlander). I get a much higher percentage of keepers with them on my K3 then I do with my K-01.
10-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
DHA
Forum Member

I think the first one to reply mentioned the look of the K10D. FWIIW, this is a wonderful camera with probably Sony's best 10mp sensor. It's rugged, provides SR and is super cheap on Ebay these days. I'd recommend that old reliable. Don
10-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

imho sony's 6.1mp ccd was an effort that was unrivaled until their 16mp cmos.
10-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought the 6MP and 10MP CCD sensors in the early Pentax DSLRs were Samsung devices, not Sony -- hence the Samsung branded versions that were also released.

I use the Samsung GX-10 branded version of the K10D with manual lenses exclusively, and love the film-like look delivered by that old CCD.
10-28-2015, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After you put a focusing screen in it, swap the lens mount with an Adaptist Multi-Mount. Then you can really feed your manual focus LBA

Adaptist - Home
10-28-2015, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I thought the 6MP and 10MP CCD sensors in the early Pentax DSLRs were Samsung devices, not Sony -- hence the Samsung branded versions that were also released.

I use the Samsung GX-10 branded version of the K10D with manual lenses exclusively, and love the film-like look delivered by that old CCD.
Dave, IIRC the K20D and K7 were the only Pentax DSLRs to use Samsung sensors. The 6.1 and 10 mp CCD's were made by Sony, as are all CMOS sensors from the K-x forward (I think).
10-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I use a K10D with a Katz Eye screen. I bought the Katz Eye for my original K10D several years ago and I liked the results. The camera's card reader went bad and I bought a used K10D from KEH because it was cheaper than fixing my old one ($109 shipped). I stayed with another K10D because I already had the Katz Eye and also because I really like the ISO 100 IQ. A focusing screen is really useful if you use MF lenses a lot although Catch In Focus works very well and I use it a lot on my K5 which doesn't currently have a split focusing screen. I do have one for it but I never really got it shimmed right so I just kind of gave up on it.

I'm pretty certain that the 10 MP sensor in the K10D is Sony built and the same as the one in the Nikon D200. The Samsung sensors were in the K20D and K7.
10-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd suggest a very cheap Canon 5D which you need to modify (mirror shave) for K mount lenses but can take most Nikon Ais (non-Ais) and M42 lenses with simple adapter.
Or a used A7.

If you intend to only use a Pentax DSLR, then anything within budget will do actually.
K30 and up will be 100% view and pentaprism