Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, Trog, that helps. I'll play with the F22 to see how it focuses in low light. I'm also looking into getting a 1.5 teleconverter, as you suggested.
By the way I found (or heard from one the forum respondents) that after focusing a shot at different parts of the room, I immediately push the AE-L button right under the one-off camera switch and I get very good depth of focus. I don't know why but it really works.
I'm very happy with this lens. Can't believe it was so cheap ($269. new B&H).
Freddy

02-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Freddy, Macro photography is almost always a series of trade offs. F22 is great if it's possible, but lots of times there isn't enough light to use f22 unless you are using a tripod. For real close in macro work I actually focus by moving the camera closer or further away. It's an exercise in steady hands and a steady body. Even breathing changes the focus point for me. I think somebody mentioned it, but a longer lens is a bit more preferable if you are shooting insects and the like because you can get a little bit further away. Don't know about you but I get nervous being only 2 inches from a hornet. Not only that but the wee beasties get nervous too, and tend to split. I don't know how many empty twig shots I have, where split seconds before there was a dragonfly. Like trog said a 1.5 TC lets you get a bit further away. I hope I haven't scared you off of macro photography, it's challenging but very rewarding!

NaCl(macros can be fun...they can also make you want to throw your camera against a wall! )H2O
02-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, H20.
I'll be perfectly happy to shoot flowers from between 10" to 15". I've already shot a lot of bugs with my S2is. Shooting flowers outdoors I can probably shoot at F5.6 to F11 and get great sharpness with this lens at 10 to 15". Do you agree. Don't forget I have K100d cam with image stabilization. Freddy
02-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

the last review i read on the lens freddy pretty much said optically the lens is faultless..

its faults.. its big.. it has to travel a long way to get its focus.. as a landscape lens its a bit long.. as macro lens its a bit short..

it should still be part of everyones kit thow.. he he

for flowers its spot on..

now if u want another must have lens.. the sigma 70 x 300 is it.. flower type macros from two feet away or birds from 25 yards away.. or candid people from a distance.. a classic lens for the money..

trog

02-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Trog. I'm filling a loose leaf binder with all your suggestions. I don't know what I'd do without you. You'll make a photographer out of me yet. Freddy
02-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Trog, did you check out the new Pentax forum. pentaxworld.com
It's looking pretty good. Freddy
02-14-2007, 03:38 AM   #22
Inactive Account

A 75mm Macro would make it easier to capture things that don't sit still for long as you can be further away and still get the same result as you would with the 50mm. Also a 75mm would probably double as a decent portrait lens (85mm being the ideal).
02-14-2007, 04:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Timbuctoo. Nice to have another Australian on the forum. Small world, hey. Freddy