Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 07:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I get the idea that the majority of the people on the forum are guys.
It's hard to tell, but I get the same idea. On some profiles are impossible to tell the gender.
But I could name some ladies and guys on this forum if you asked me to...

10-31-2015, 07:20 AM   #32

Original Poster
Thanks for the very helpful feedback. I will be sure to get back to you guys on how things turned out
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think on APSC f8 is most often the optimum between resolution and DoF: most DoF and most resolution, least CA, and no diffraction. Often f5.6 can give slightly more resolution, but it will have much less DoF; so choose what you need. f11 can introduce diffraction, a sort of fuzziness, though this can be combated with PP sharpening (and "diffraction correction" if your camera hat that jpeg option) to some extent. And even if you don't have maximum resolution, even if the photo is slightly soft, its still not the end of the world. Often its a compromise you need to make
According to reviews, I think DA* 16-50mm is optimal at f8 on the wider end, but can go down to f11 at 50mm. f5.6 can give you a little more resolution, though. Also, I'm pretty certain the K-5IIs has MTF P, so you can let the camera choose the aperture that has the highest resolution (According to Pentax engineers) (though, not maximized for DoF). Ultimately, even things like lens and camera construction tolerances can play a role (Especially at UWA focal lengths, in my opinion). Anyway, its an interesting test to do, to get a more intimate knowledge of your gear. But don't break your head over it, either - if what you were doing so far worked for you, no need for drastic changes over night. Just something to keep in mind

Someone asked, why go to a workshop if you are already good? Well, because you can still get better. You probably learn something, even if not from the workshop alone, at least from the experience itself. And even if you don't, you still get to meet new people, photograph a new location/model (one that was scouted by a photographer, so it will probably be good), have some fun.

Good luck and enjoy the workshop
10-31-2015, 07:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm wondering why would you shoot landscapes at ISO 100 instead of ISO 80, when ISO 80 has superior DR?

Regarding shooting at f8 vs. smaller apertures, wouldn't a landscape shooter try various apertures, and keep the preferred version? It just takes one flick of the dial to change aperture. The setup is already done.

Looking forward to your results for some tips. I expect Tuscany will be our next major trip.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-31-2015 at 10:24 AM.
10-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It's hard to tell, but I get the same idea. On some profiles are impossible to tell the gender.

Lady, here!

10-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Lady, here!
You were one I could name
10-31-2015, 08:16 AM   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know of a few other ladies on here, also.
10-31-2015, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck! I'm sure you will do just fine.

I've shot some landscapes and even my my lowly standards they turned out pretty crummy. I've done portraits...a few were decent....but not outstanding. I finally discovered that the key to happiness is shooting handsome squirrels. No matter how crummy the shots, they squirrels are always handsome! Well, maybe not by Otis' standards, but they work for me!

It may be sort of corny...but it's always fun!

You don't need to worry about diffraction, subtraction or much of anything.....just aim and shoot!

Regards!

BTW- She's a female model!

10-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #38

Original Poster
I would love to shoot at 80 iso but the k5 goes to 100, or does it???...

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 01:15 PM ----------

Depending on a particular foreground, yes my f stop will change variably but considering that the majority of these Tuscan scenes in Val D'orcia (sienna region) are rolling distant hills mixed with pencil pines I would almost bet that my f stop will be between an 8-14 range. Having said that from many of your feedback i may even keep it below 11
10-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Guys can be ladies, too…
10-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ok...
10-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I would love to shoot at 80 iso but the k5 goes to 100, or does it???...

---------- Post added 10-31-15 at 01:15 PM ----------

Depending on a particular foreground, yes my f stop will change variably but considering that the majority of these Tuscan scenes in Val D'orcia (sienna region) are rolling distant hills mixed with pencil pines I would almost bet that my f stop will be between an 8-14 range. Having said that from many of your feedback i may even keep it below 11
If you turn on expanded ISO the ISO goes to 80.
10-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, what he said. It's one of the reasons I am loath to trade up to a K3 series, as I am under the impression the expanded-ISO 80 was removed in those cameras. I hope the full-frame goes all the way down to 50, and 25 would be even nicer.
10-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Just for giggles, turn up with the biggest heaviest tripod you can take with you.....ie more support than the N8xx's would need...
Landscape technique outshines a sensor.
11-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #44

Original Poster
I have my manfrotto 190 and ball head. Probably weighs in at 2 kg all up. Awesome setup. My god, I had no idea you could expand iso to 80. I feel so stupid. Can we guarantee that expanding the iso this way on the k5 will have not create any problems on the final photo? Sorry, it s a stupid question, but I had no idea about his really. 😁😁😁😁😁
11-01-2015, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
Can we guarantee that expanding the iso this way on the k5 will have not create any problems on the final photo? Sorry, it s a stupid question, but I had no idea about his really. ����������
Check the Measurements tab at DXOMark. Every measured parameter improves by going to ISO 80 vs. ISO100:

Pentax K-5 : Measurements - DxOMark
  • Noise decreases by 1/3 stop
  • DR increases by 0.42 stop
  • Colour depth increases increases by about 1/3 stop

Win, win, win!

---------- Post added 2015-11-01 at 07:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yeah, what he said. It's one of the reasons I am loath to trade up to a K3 series, as I am under the impression the expanded-ISO 80 was removed in those cameras. I hope the full-frame goes all the way down to 50, and 25 would be even nicer.
ISO 80 is not available on the K-3, but resolution also matters for landscape shooting. Virtually every lens improves in sharpness when going from a K-5 to a K-3 due to the lack of a blur filter and a 50% increase in pixels. Check DXO for the evidence. The sharpest prime they measured is the Sigma 35mm f1.4. It scores 10mp on the K-5, vs. 16mp on the K-3, a 60% increase in perceived sharpness. The DA*16-50mm achieves 7mp on the K-5, vs. 10mp on the K-3, a 30% increase.

I am happy to trade 1/3 stop improvement at base ISO for +/-30% higher sharpness with every lens in my bag. Of course I would have liked to have both the increased resolution and ISO 80.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-01-2015 at 05:32 AM.