Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Point taken. However, with the full-frame so close, there seems little point in going over to the K3 as an interim step unless for whatever reason it significantly outperforms its newer successor in some way. This is especially the case if the DA35 macro turns out to be completely full-frame compatible - ultimately this is the lens/body combination where IQ matters most for me; everything else is just fun happy snapping. And even if it doesn't, most of what I shoot with the macro is fully centred anyway; the edges are not absolutely critical, and the corners even less so.

11-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #47
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- She's a female model!
Is she a nude model? Shouldn't this be considdered NSFW ?

Iso 80 is great. Make some A3 print and you can stun the Nikon people.
11-01-2015, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is she a nude model? Shouldn't this be considdered NSFW ?
My apology, it was not my intent to offend, and I also failed to get her permission to post her naked. I will try to do better in the future!

Name:  Covered.JPG
Views: 532
Size:  80.9 KB

Regards!
11-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Just for giggles, turn up with the biggest heaviest tripod you can take with you.....ie more support than the N8xx's would need...
Landscape technique outshines a sensor.
You don't necessarily need a big tripod for, say, a D810 unless you have a really big lens and the wind is blowing. Because that camera can take a picture with a wireless remote and it has electronic front-curtain mode. The mirror locks up and the curtain is electronic so there is no vibration due to reciprocating or translating mass.

11-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Is she a nude model? Shouldn't this be considered NSFW ?
If that's what you see in a squirrel... ...maybe it's your mind that's NSFW!
11-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I

Iso 80 is great. Make some A3 print and you can stun the Nikon people.
The D810 has base ISO of 64, FYI. That's not even an extended mode. If all these people at this photo excursion had 645D/Z cameras, would the OP get on here and say, gee whiz, all these cropped sensor medium format people are going to make fun of my cropped sensor small format camera. No, he wouldn't, I believe. So why do Pentax owners have such a complex over their gear when when it comes to other brands, I wonder.
11-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #52
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The D810 has base ISO of 64, FYI. That's not even an extended mode. If all these people at this photo excursion had 645D/Z cameras, would the OP get on here and say, gee whiz, all these cropped sensor medium format people are going to make fun of my cropped sensor small format camera. No, he wouldn't, I believe. So why do Pentax owners have such a complex over their gear when when it comes to other brands, I wonder.
No idea, I never had that myself. I do see that with Pentax users.

11-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't think there's any secret to it: they mix with the wrong sort of people.

Seriously, some Canon and Nikon owners do get a superiority complex about their 35FF gear, even subconsciously. If you look in the photography sections of your local newsagent's you'll see dedicated publications for Canon and Nikon users, which deliberately promote the idea that they're using the only brand that matters. That's a bit like the Porsche-only (or Mercedes-only etc) magazines that are ostensibly about getting the best from your choice, but are really about excluding all other options from your thinking. It's called propaganda. Pentax Forums could be like that, too, but there are enough dissenters here to keep us thinking more broadly, or at least reflecting on our choices.

And even the nicest Canon or Nikon users can subtly push you, with questions or statements like: "Don't you find that crop is limiting?" or "I really like the way my 50mm lens makes my images pop on FF" etc, etc. The not-so-nice ones will patronise you with comments like: "Pentax don't make a full frame, do they?" I've always got a comeback ready (generally satirical and often feigning servility - if you've ever watched Blackadder, you'll know what I mean), and I've been even less inclined to let things pass since I got my K-3 and a collection of good lenses, not to mention having the Pentax 35FF appear on the horizon.

In its own way, all that is a form of bullying, subtle though it often is, and like any sort of bullying, you have to stamp on it when you see it, so I wouldn't minimise it by dismissing it as "having a complex". Helping others to deal with it is a far more useful thing to do.
11-03-2015, 01:54 AM   #54

Original Poster
Well, although I am going to the workshop
Purely for personal reasons and fun of course, it'll be great to show them what an almost obsolete Pentax can do against the big names cameras. I will prove to them that not only does Pentax have superior systems, but at the end of the day it's he photographer that matters most

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think there's any secret to it: they mix with the wrong sort of people.

Seriously, some Canon and Nikon owners do get a superiority complex about their 35FF gear, even subconsciously. If you look in the photography sections of your local newsagent's you'll see dedicated publications for Canon and Nikon users, which deliberately promote the idea that they're using the only brand that matters. That's a bit like the Porsche-only (or Mercedes-only etc) magazines that are ostensibly about getting the best from your choice, but are really about excluding all other options from your thinking. It's called propaganda. Pentax Forums could be like that, too, but there are enough dissenters here to keep us thinking more broadly, or at least reflecting on our choices.

And even the nicest Canon or Nikon users can subtly push you, with questions or statements like: "Don't you find that crop is limiting?" or "I really like the way my 50mm lens makes my images pop on FF" etc, etc. The not-so-nice ones will patronise you with comments like: "Pentax don't make a full frame, do they?" I've always got a comeback ready (generally satirical and often feigning servility - if you've ever watched Blackadder, you'll know what I mean), and I've been even less inclined to let things pass since I got my K-3 and a collection of good lenses, not to mention having the Pentax 35FF appear on the horizon.

In its own way, all that is a form of bullying, subtle though it often is, and like any sort of bullying, you have to stamp on it when you see it, so I wouldn't minimise it by dismissing it as "having a complex". Helping others to deal with it is a far more useful thing to do.
11-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
And even the nicest Canon or Nikon users can subtly push you, with questions or statements like: "Don't you find that crop is limiting?" or "I really like the way my 50mm lens makes my images pop on FF" etc, etc.

Plenty of folks do think that crop sensors or even full frame cameras are limiting...if they didn't, there would be no market for full frame or medium format cameras.
Why doesn't everyone shoot with with 1" sensor cameras or micro 4/3 cameras. It is because bigger sensors do indeed offer advantages. So no one should even discuss those advantages because that would be considered bullying?

Seriously, if someone brought a 645Z and said, man i love the way this camera makes my image pop! Would that be "pushing" someone with a D810?

Last edited by cali92rs; 11-05-2015 at 11:16 PM.
11-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Plenty of folks do think that crop sensors or even full frame cameras are limiting...if they didn't, there would be no market for full frame or medium format cameras.
Why doesn't everyone shoot with with 1" sensor cameras or micro 4/3 cameras. It is because bigger sensors do indeed offer advantages. So no one should even discuss those advantages because that would be considered bullying?

Seriously, if someone brought a 645Z and said, man i love the way this camera makes my image pop! Would that be "pushing" someone with a D810?
I doubt anyone with the inclination and resources to own a 645Z would really give a toss about such matters. However, as with any other format, there are situations where each can exhibit their strengths.
11-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Would that be "pushing" someone with a D810?
It would be interesting to watch a full-of-themselves NIkon owner be made to feel inferior for once, but on the whole I agree with RobA_Oz - anyone who has a 645Z knows they have the best bang-for-the-buck digital camera on earth* and has nothing left to prove by rubbing it in others' faces.

* = granted, not necessarily the best, but to get the best you have to have at least enough money for THREE 645Z bodies, so there's that to bear in mind.
11-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #58
Veteran Member

The title of this thread already implies it is "Pentax vs the World". Full of themselves Nikon owners....lol. How isnt this, by definition, inferiority complex?

I am sure that there are holier than thou Nikonians just like there are Pentaxians that make fun of MILC owners that hold their cameras at arms length away from their face. But the vast majority of both dont really care at all...they just want to own the best equipment that they can afford with the least amount of hassle.

Last edited by cali92rs; 11-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.
11-06-2015, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #59

Original Poster
Well, in the end I will be very satisfied with myself if I can shoot better than this photo since my last visit to Val d'orcia Tuscany:

https://500px.com/photo/127887103

Considering this shot was taken when my k5 was faulty and suffered major AF issues, it was also handheld and I quickly took it as my wife was waiting for me in the car. If the workshop take us back to the same spot, I will use my tripod and liveview, use my Cokin ND grad filter and obviously have the time to make sure it's dead on perfect. If I can get away with that....which I know I can, I will have those Nikon guys wondering that's for sure. Thanks for all your feedback guys. Really positive energy.
But hey, if I don't have that perfect light, I don't get that perfect shot. Gotta remember that guys. That is photography in the end. It will make you or brake you
11-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Okay, if you can do that handheld in a hurry with a cranky K-5, you've got nothing to fear. Blow 'em away.