Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K200D also produces a 'warmth' to images that is very appealling. Particularly good with landscapes and rendering skin tones. Never could emulate it with other cameras I've used.

10-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rawr, I think the K200D has the same CCD sensor as the K10 - and that is a big difference at low ISO. You should be able to get the warmth back in post. I'm in a learning curve on the K3 so I cannot give any tips yet.
11-28-2015, 05:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The thing is even with the same settings each camera "alter" the picture in a way or another. part come from the sensor, part comes from the imaging engine, part comes from the defaults tweaking made to the default settings. Manufacturers change their rendering too to adapt to different clients. An entry level camera will tend to have more saturated output because that what most people like. An high end camera will tend to produce more "realistic" look that is more neutral and less punchy.

if you look on forums and so on, you'll see that some prefer the "Canon" rendering or the Nikon one, that it depend of model and so on.

If you use DxO, you don't need to change camera to get theses rendering. You can just choose any rendering from any camera you wish to. You'll discover that actually depending of the shoot you'll want one or another. The feature was introduced both to get back the rendering you maybe loved on that previous camera but also to ensure that if you shoot with several camera model on an occasion you can uniformize the rendering and ensure you get a consistant look across the pictures.

Here one example from a K3 picture.

The rendering I actually used. Based on A99, A7, A7R, A7S, A7-II rendering, with an added orange cast, saturation, contrast and micro contrast:

An in attachement by order:
- The default K3 rendering in DxO
- Default K10D rendering
- Afga vista 200 film rendering simulation

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.
11-28-2015, 05:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

in a nutshell: our workflows need to be "seasoned" to match the capabilities and colour rendering proclivities of the CFA and the tonal range of the sensor.

11-29-2015, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #20
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
Do you think sensors have to be 'seasoned'?
Not sure about sensors... but I certainly do, I find good malt whisky does the trick.