Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

Sending K-S1 back exchange for K-50?

I just received a K-S1 today and I am sending it back. I hated the ergonomics of the K-S1, it felt awkward and I kept hitting buttons that I didn't want to.

I have an old K100d that I love but I figured it was time to upgrade and maybe get something with HD video capability.

So I am now considering a K-50 which is an older camera but sounds like it might be closer to my old K100d ergonomics wise.
I also like the fact that it can use AA batteries like my K100d does via the D-BH109 adapter.

I don't need to shoot over 18 Megapixels (I was fine with 6 on the K100d) I don't crave tons of special features or modes since at heart I have spent most of my life with a Spotmatic or other film SLR's.shooting manual or aperture priority mode.
I don't do Photoshop, I tend to use less complicated software like PhotoFiltre, Fotografix or Paint.net.

So what will I be missing that's of importance if I go with a K-50 instead of a K-S1?

Additional questions;
1. How comfortable is the k-50 to hold
2. How well does the camera perform with Eneloop batteries (1900ma)
3. Does the D-BH109 Adapter to use AA batteries reliable?

Any other info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

11-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't comment on the K-S1, but I have the K-30 which is basically the same as the K-50, so these comments are based on the K-30. I also came from a K100D Super

1. Comfort to hold? Fits my hand perfectly. More comfortable than the K100D Super. The controls fall to hand nicely. The weight and feel are just perfect with most of my lenses. Only limitation is that it is a little unbalanced with heavy lenses like my Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele macro (weighs about 1.3kg). But you need to try one to see if it suits you.
2. Eneloops? I carried over Eneloops from my K100DS. They work fine. Haven't tested the life of them, as I have found that I prefer the Dli109s for the much lighter weight.
3. Adapter for AA batteries? I got a cheap aftermarket knockoff adapter and it works fine.

Other info?
- Nice to have video after the K100DS. But you will see in all the reviews that the video function is not great (e.g. no continuous AF, mono sound, no HDMI out). If you are serious about video, don't get a Pentax (Sony instead?).
- Some people miss the top LED screen from the K100DS, but I don't. All the info you need is in the viewfinder and on the back screen.
- The two wheels (by default front for shutter speed and rear for aperture, both customisable) are a great design. Can't understand why they dropped it on the K-S1; it's back on the K-S2.
- TAv mode is excellent. I use it the most.
- ISO is generally usable at 3200 and 6400.
- I like the RAW+jpg option. It's not a problem for me if it slows down burst mode.
- 16mp gives a lot more scope for cropping than 6mp did. File sizes are much larger (typically say 18mb for RAW and 7mb for jpg), but storage is much much cheaper than it was in 2007 when I got the K100DS.
- Button layout is fairly straightforward. Rear AF button would have been nice.

Have you considered a K-S2 instead? 20mp sensor, articulating screen, wifi, no AA filter, better AF. Smaller body and no AA battery support though.

Here's a comparison of features K-50, K-S1 and K-S2: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Des; 11-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.
11-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Can't comment on the K-S1, but I have the K-30 which is basically the same as the K-50, so these comments are based on the K-30. I also came from a K100D Super

1. Comfort to hold? Fits my hand perfectly. More comfortable than the K100D Super. The controls fall to hand nicely. The weight and feel are just perfect with most of my lenses. Only limitation is that it is a little unbalanced with heavy lenses like my Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele macro (weighs about 1.3kg). But you need to try one to see if it suits you.
2. Eneloops? I carried over Eneloops from my K100DS. They work fine. Haven't tested the life of them, as I have found that I prefer the Di109s for the much lighter weight.
3. Adapter for AA batteries? I got a cheap aftermarket knockoff adapter and it works fine.

Other info?
- Nice to have video after the K100DS. But you will see in all the reviews that the video function is not great (e.g. no continuous AF, mono sound, no HDMI out). If you are serious about video, don't get a Pentax (Sony instead?).
- Some people miss the top LED screen from the K100DS, but I don't. All the info you need is in the viewfinder and on the back screen.
- The two wheels (by default front for shutter speed and rear for aperture, both customisable) are a great design. Can't understand why they dropped it on the K-S1; it's back on the K-S2.
- TAv mode is excellent. I use it the most.
- ISO is generally usable at 3200 and 6400.
- I like the RAW+jpg option. It's not a problem for me if it slows down burst mode.
- 16mp gives a lot more scope for cropping than 6mp did. File sizes are much larger (typically say 18mb for RAW and 7mb for jpg), but storage is much much cheaper than it was in 2007 when I got the K100DS.

Have you considered a K-S2 instead? 20mp sensor, articulating screen, wifi, no AA filter, better AF. Smaller body and no AA battery support though.

Here's a comparison of features K-50, K-S1 and K-S2: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-S2 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the info ! I am getting a K-50 and try it out, The video is a nice option but If I got serious a video I would just buy a Camcorder.
The K-50 looks like it has enough doo-dads to keep me entertained for years.
11-03-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saintbubba Quote
The K-50 looks like it has enough doo-dads to keep me entertained for years.
Amen to that. Good luck @saintbubba.

11-03-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saintbubba Quote
1. How comfortable is the k-50 to hold 2. How well does the camera perform with Eneloop batteries (1900ma) 3. Does the D-BH109 Adapter to use AA batteries reliable?
The K-50's grip is second only to the K-5 and K-3 in my opinion. It's got the best ergonomics for the price, that's for sure (did you not see our in-depth review of the K-S1, by the way?- it pointed out its tiny grip and recommended the K-50 as an alternative).

The K-50 works fine with AA batteries but I think that it's best to stick to the rechargeable battery unless you need an extra set for trips or long outings. You'll only get noticeably longer battery life with lithium AA's compared to the D-Li109.

Feature-wise, the K-50 is a generation older but it does have some features that the K-S1 lacks, such as weather sealing and dual control wheels. The K-S2 is closer to being a replacement for the K-50, though the latter still pulls ahead in terms of ergonomics.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2015, 05:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first Pentax DSLR was a k100d super. My second was a K50. I know own a k3 as well.

Grip comfort: as Adam said, the K50 grip is fantastic.

AA: I used Ni-MH energizers as my 2nd battery for a long time until I picked up a wasabi battery. I bought a Chinese knock off adapter for less than $5 and it worked great. I never used enloops my energizers were very reliable. I carried a set of as lithium cells for emergencies and used them only once that I recall and used alkaline sin another emergency once. Very handy option if you need it.

I would still be using my K50 as my primary camera if my Dad had not decided he needed a k3. (I have to be using the same camera body to be able to explain things to him when he has a question. )

In short it is a great option. The ks2 is nice as well albeit more expensive and lacking a few features that I prefer like wireless P-TTL master/controller via the on board flash.
11-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a K-50 and a K-5IIs. I love the K-50 and it is very comfortable to hold and use for long periods and depending on the lens, of course, it's lightweight. When it comes to features and operational flexibility, the K-5IIs is light years ahead and for my hand the grip comfort is just as good although slightly heavier. You won't go wrong with the K-50, but a K-5II or a K-3 would definitely be an upgrade.

11-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
It's the AF/AE-L button. The button customization settings in the menus let you set it up for back button focus; it's what I currently have on my own K-30, and it's in a perfectly comfortable spot for my thumb to reach.

Unless you meant a dedicated button that didn't also do AE-L duty.
11-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had a k-s1 for a while (gave it away as a present). I really liked it. Yes the ergonomics suck, but the image quality is a big improvement from the k-5 I used to own.
11-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As a bottom line consideration, the useability of the two-wheel cameras is, hands-down, an improvement over the single-wheel. The grip nuances between those models -- K-S2, K-30, K-50, K-5's and 3's -- are noticeable, but not much of a deal breaker for me (K-30 feels best to me, but I'm shooting with the K-3 all the time now). K-01 and K-S1 were radical departures that failed in the grip area, but the single-wheel control is the real problem for me.
11-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just compared my k100d grip to my k-s2. K-s2 is slightly smaller and I did have trouble with the front wheel and on/off button too close together at first. It's still a little annoying. However the k-s2 grip is 3mm deeper which allows my finger to really grab. The tip of my middle finger is 26mm. I suspect if it was any longer the bend at the joint would be to far and cancel that extra depth but for me those 3mm mean my finger really grabs on compared to my k100.
11-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
It's the AF/AE-L button. The button customization settings in the menus let you set it up for back button focus; it's what I currently have on my own K-30, and it's in a perfectly comfortable spot for my thumb to reach.

Unless you meant a dedicated button that didn't also do AE-L duty.
Thanks for pointing that out @Scintilla. Yes I did mean a separate dedicated button.

I have just bought a K-3 and that is one of the features I'm looking forward to.

---------- Post added 11-04-15 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I had a k-s1 for a while (gave it away as a present). I really liked it. Yes the ergonomics suck, but the image quality is a big improvement from the k-5 I used to own.
I read somewhere that the K-S1 was pitched at Asian women with typically smaller hands. (Might be an urban myth, I don't know.)

If you could live with the ergonomics, it's a very cheap way to get the 20mp sensor with no AA-filter.