Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Missing my *ist-DL, considering an early Pentax DSLR

Which one?

I am told the *ist-D lacks the ability to stop K and M lenses down. Was it the only one to be lacking in this way, or did some of its successors suffer the same handicap?

Being able to use a K or M lens together with true TTL metering on a DSLR would be an advantage.

11-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

pm sent
11-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Being able to use a K or M lens together with true TTL metering on a DSLR would be an advantage.
This should be possible with all Pentax bodies.

The only thing that the *ist D and DS do have that newer bodies don't is TTL flash support (rather than P-TTL only). So with the D, you could get proper flash exposures with fully manual lenses without even having to think about the aperture.

At the end of the day though, IMO, newer is better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Actually the *istD has the best flash of any Pentax camera.

It has both TTL and. P-TTL floss hand can automatically select which mode based upon what you have attached n consigning lens and gosh,mto work.

With TTL flash like AF500 FTZ any lens is TTL, but with AF 540FGZ the camera changes modes between PTTL and TTL depending of the lens with A setting or not.

Also, it is the only body with HsS using the built in flash as a master. So you don't need a dedicated flashy on the body for HSS with a second flash remote for wireless HSS.

Although by today's standards the *istD is sssslllllooooooowwwwwww, it is a great little camera

11-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

i don't think i can understand this feeling but the only experience i had with a digital camera from that era was cheap point and shoots but this seems like masochism guised as nostalgia. its not like a 69 chevelle like some awesome but impractical by todays standards large/medium format film camera. its seems more like the 1990 manual vw golf that jumped gears or 1987 olds cutlass supreme with bondo everywhere that only ran on 5 of the 6 cylinders. both of which my friend drove in high school in 2006. even if it was free(the cutlass was) and you had another better alternative, why drive it?
11-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The D will do stopdown metering just fine, as long as you update the firmware beyond v.1. Great little (and old) cameras. Keep in mind the D uses CF cards, the only Pentax DSLR to do so, IIRC. Later models (DS, DL, etc) use SD cards.
11-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
i don't think i can understand this feeling but the only experience i had with a digital camera from that era was cheap point and shoots but this seems like masochism guised as nostalgia. its not like a 69 chevelle like some awesome but impractical by todays standards large/medium format film camera. its seems more like the 1990 manual vw golf that jumped gears or 1987 olds cutlass supreme with bondo everywhere that only ran on 5 of the 6 cylinders. both of which my friend drove in high school in 2006. even if it was free(the cutlass was) and you had another better alternative, why drive it?
I disagree

It is not living in the past. There are many aspects of the original *istD that ARE superior to even the K3 today, and flash management and system compatibility are clearly examples of them.

I still use my *istD, I never sold it because as will all things electronic the price I could get for it fell to the point that it did not make any difference.

But I also have a lot of legacy equipment, lenses,mflashes etc,maps I had shot film for 23 years before I got the *istD and went digital, and yes lenses really do outlive camera bodies.

Even though it is 6MP it still takes quality pictures that can be enlarged up to 11 X 17 so it is not the same as using a turn of the century P&S

The CCD sensor renders colours differently than CMOS as well. Is it my main body, no, but it still has a place min my complete system today.
11-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
Forum Member

i have heard that ccd is a different feel to cmos i can respect that. the equipment compatibility makes sense too i guess to an extent, but what lenses would be compatible with it that wouldn't work on the newer cameras? isn't that one of the pros of pentax: total backwards compatibility? is it just easier to use older lenses with it? also what do you mean by system compatibility?

11-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's not lens compatibility that's the issue - it's lens-plus-flash-plus-camera all working together. TTL flash, if I recall correctly, manages itself; the camera cuts the flash off as soon as enough light has come through (thyristor flashes are similar and manage their own output through an inbuilt light sensor, but even then some manual aperture adjustment can be required). Current Pentax DSLRs can't do true TTL. P-TTL, which they can do, requires a pre-shot burst flash for the camera to gauge exactly how much it needs, then it fires that much as it takes the actual shot.

Depending on the lens you have mounted, the camera may or may not have complete information and flexibility with which to correctly manage the P-TTL firing process. If it can both read and control the aperture, all is well; if it can't (K or M type lens), you have a problem. True TTL metering doesn't care what you've got mounted; it works on how much light the film/CCD has already received.
11-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Forum Member

that makes sense and is an interesting concept. i have no practical use for this as all my lenses at least have A contacts but good to know going forward. it would be frustrating if you had all that equipment and functionality like that was lost suddenly.