Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
In camera processing of images in any DSLR, recorded in challenging light, is giving the gun to the dog. Thoughtful use of RAW processing is the difference between a home cooked meal and a microwave dinner.
You are implying that my and others' poor experience with K-5 AF is due to in-camera processing. This is just nonsense, post-processing a soft image won't make it sharp. I only shoot raw. The K-5 does not equal the K-5 II or K-3 in low light. The K-5 is rated to -1EV auto-focus, vs. -3EV for the other two. The K-5 has f5.6 sensitive focus points only, the K-5 II has a central f2.8 point, and the K-3 has three. Here are some quotes for you:

K-5 II press release:
The biggest difference is the latest, SAFOX X, autofocus sensor. This is designed to work in lower light than any of its rivals (down to -3EV) it will also provide greater accuracy when working with F2.8 and fast lenses. The SAFOX X also features more sophisticated focus tracking, to keep focus when the subject moves off the original focus point. The K-5 II and IIs also gain rear LCD panels with no air gap between the panel and the protective glass, reducing internal reflections and improving visibility in bright light.

Pentax Ricoh announces Pentax K-5 II DSLR and K-5 IIs with no low-pass filter: Digital Photography Review

In Tungsten Light:
The Pentax K-5 was observed to have AF accuracy problems (front and back focus) when shooting in tunsgten light. The Pentax K-5 II does not have this issue.

Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Tracking on the K-5 is primitive. The K-5 II is better due to its expanded AF point and improved algorithms. The K-3 is in another league with AF priority and AF Hold controls.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-05-2015 at 09:06 PM.
11-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Nope, I meant that if you look at camera images recorded in tungsten light, like a theater stage, they can look horrible. Open the DNG in Camera Raw and get rid of the blown out luminance and voila, its there.
I'm not talking about noise, luminance or otherwise. I'm talking about poor auto-focus. They are not related.
11-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm not talking about noise, luminance or otherwise. I'm talking about poor auto-focus. They are not related.
Okay, you're right.
11-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It shouldn't. PDAF problems with tungsten light have been present in SLR models from all makers, not just Pentax.

Steve
My experience with other SLR models from other manufacturers has been very different. My Canon 5D, my 30D, even my ancient Canon 300D, the Grandaddy Rebel, could focus in low tungsten light and it didn't exactly have an advanced autofocus system to work with.

Renting the K-3 did a lot to allay my concerns, but it was still encouraging to know that the K-5 is an outlier in terms of Pentax autofocus capabilities in low-light. The K-3 really impressed me, and I'll probably pick one up to tide me over til the full-frame debut

11-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The K-5 was a backward step
I agree. I guess the point I was trying to make is that Pentax is not isolated in having that sort of problem. The Nikon D7000 is probably the most prominent recent example.

Steve
11-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZackHuggins Quote
My experience with other SLR models from other manufacturers has been very different. My Canon 5D, my 30D, even my ancient Canon 300D, the Grandaddy Rebel, could focus in low tungsten light and it didn't exactly have an advanced autofocus system to work with.

Renting the K-3 did a lot to allay my concerns, but it was still encouraging to know that the K-5 is an outlier in terms of Pentax autofocus capabilities in low-light. The K-3 really impressed me, and I'll probably pick one up to tide me over til the full-frame debut
Cool!

PDAF issues with other than daylight color balance are an intrinsic problem with the technology and something that camera designers struggle with. Sometimes they miss. When I bought my K10D back in winter of 2007, AF competency under tungsten light was part of most serious reviews because detection/compensation was spotty across brands and between models within a brand. Since then, the issue has been much less prevalent.

FWIW, the tungsten AF issue has nothing to do with low light. It is purely related to the spectral composition. The low light AF performance of the K-5 is fine and to spec. On the K-3, it is simply better, much better.

Steve
11-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
these were all answers i was looking for. thanks. does anyone have experience with k50 vs k3 as that is what i have now.
11-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #23

I have never had any issues with my K-5 in tungsten light.