Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Bulb mode on K200D and very long exposure

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

How does one do very long exposures on the K200D, for astrophotography ?

I'm talking 10 minutes+ here.

The manual says it will stay open as long as you hold the shutter release, but that doesn't seem practical at all when you need to do it for that long, not to mention the camera shake.

I have the remote control also, but same issue - the manual says that in bulb mode, you have to hold the remote control button for the whole time of the exposure. That seems somewhat impractical too.

Also, I tried it with my made-in-china remote control clone from ebay, and it doesn't hold the exposure even if I hold the button. I suspect it doesn't keep sending the IR signal. This may be a problem of the clone.

Lastly, the manual also talks about cable release switch . Is there any way to do a long exposure that way without having to keep pressing a switch for a very long period of time ?

Ideally I would want to be able to use the remote - once to tell it when to start exposure, and again to tell it when to stop. Seems that could be implemented easily in firmware ... But it's not the way it's done right now.

I think I *could* teach my big sony RM-AV2500 universal remote control the IR code on the hard "volume" key, which would cause it to repeat the code when the key is held. And then use a brick or something on that hard key to hold it. But we are talking about a pretty big remote, about the same size as the camera. Not something practical.

06-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Cable release with a shutter lock, I'm guessing.
06-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Cable release with a shutter lock, I'm guessing.
Thanks. Any idea if there is any store that would carry such a thing ?
It's too late for me to order one now, and I'm leaving on a trip on saturday.
06-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Maybe you needed a Bulb

06-25-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
Moo

I have a cheap chinese ebay IR remote, which has the same problem.
But I also have a cheap chinese ebay cable remote, which has a hold slider, and this works fine.
06-25-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the pentax cable release and it had a lock to keep the shutter open
06-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Thanks. Any idea if there is any store that would carry such a thing ?
It's too late for me to order one now, and I'm leaving on a trip on saturday.
There are many stores that carry them. I got mine from Deal Extreme for $5 shipping included. There are also a couple threads in the Accessories sub-forum on how to make your own (good if you want to make a custom length).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/17241-make-diy-...your-k10d.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/29147-custom-ma...e-trigger.html

06-25-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lequynorm Quote
I had the pentax cable release and it had a lock to keep the shutter open

Could anybody explain with picture on how a cable release work? (connect to button?)

No idea + only saw such thing on the old cameras + a little bit stupid to ask!!
06-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Could anybody explain with picture on how a cable release work? (connect to button?)

No idea + only saw such thing on the old cameras + a little bit stupid to ask!!
There is a mini-stereo plug on the left side of the camera that the wired cable release plugs into. It's an electrical signal to the camera, rather than using a wire or air pressure to push the shutter button down.

What the current shutter release does is it connects two wires to each other and it triggers the auto-focus, then connect another wire to open the shutter. There is no voltage passing through the wires because the system works by sensing a ground signal, so it's very safe to use, and requires no batteries.
06-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
There is a mini-stereo plug on the left side of the camera that the wired cable release plugs into. It's an electrical signal to the camera, rather than using a wire or air pressure to push the shutter button down.

What the current shutter release does is it connects two wires to each other and it triggers the auto-focus, then connect another wire to open the shutter. There is no voltage passing through the wires because the system works by sensing a ground signal, so it's very safe to use, and requires no batteries.
Good Stuff!! I love simple things which work thing out!!
06-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #11

If you cannot find one for Pentax, you can use those for Canon, they are
compatible
06-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pvanni Quote
compatible
Only those for the lower-end Canons (the Rebels). I'm fairly certain the "D" cameras (40D, etc) have a different connector.
06-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pvanni Quote
compatible
half true

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Only those for the lower-end Canons (the Rebels). I'm fairly certain the "D" cameras (40D, etc) have a different connector.
completely true...
in deed, the XXD series and above have different connection. But Rebel's connection is compatible with Pentax'. How do I know? Well since Pentax cable was available for £29.99 and I could get Canon one for £15. I guess you know by now....
Anyway, I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to take pic of my cable (release ) and post it here. But (at least with canon one) when you depress the button to open shutter, you can slide it downwards to lock shutter open, until you slide it back to original position. ...
BR
06-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #14

this is the one i got
Wireless Shutter Release NIKON D300 D200 D100 MC-30 -36 - eBay Remote Controls, Accessories, Digital Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 25-Jun-08 22:59:55 AEST)
i think i made sure by asking if it would work on a pentax (there are also ones that have pentax in the title)
in bulb mode, you hold it for three seconds the light changes colour (or goes off, i can't remember) the shutter opens (and you can release), then when you are ready to turn off you click the button again, works for me
though the connector fit better in the k100d, i think the weather sealing makes the connector a bit loose on the k200d, still works though

dave
06-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I actually use this one, which has a lock so you don't need to keep your hand on the button.

Remote Switch Cable Release For Pentax CS-205 K20D AK02 - (eBay.ca item 280239838868 end time 02-Jul-08 00:05:31 EDT)