Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using onboard flash with K-Series lens

Hey everyone,

Well as a lot of you know, I like shooting shots as much as possible without using a flash.

The day came when things got a bit too dark, and I had my loaned K-series 55mm f2 bolted on my camera. Didn't have another lens with me because I wanted to do an entire series of shots with this lens only. I said to myself, "I'll give this a try."

So, I pop up the flash adjust to f5.6 with 1/180 sec shutter and fire a test shot. I think I was too close, and my first photo was totally fried - LOL. Went to f8 and got a better result. After reviewing all my shots the same night, I ended up deleting all of them because I wasn't too happy with the results. I can't post any sample shots, but think of washed out colours and very flat.

Anyone got any tips for me? I've noted using aperture settings of 5.6 or 8 depending on distance to subject because they have gotten me the best results.

Is the aperture the only thing I can use to adjust the exposure when the flash is up while using the k-series lenses, or can I still fool around with the shutter speed?

Thanks!

02-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual Page 154? I've got a K55/1.8 on my K100 As I write; I'm not completely convinced that flash compensation is working or that it's not-warming-up the light meter.
02-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

My understanding is that with an M or K lens, the flash always fires at full power - so you need to do something to lower the light level getting in. I think you can adjust both Av and Tv, but I haven't played much with it - I just stick the 540 on and go to M mode and reduce from there.
02-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

th e onboad does not work with K/M lenses. the flash fires at max power. hot shoe or off camera flash works fine in p-ttl. why the onboard can't utilize p-ttl i have no clue.

02-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K100D, K110D, and K10D all don't have TTL flash, meaning that the on-board flash will, as roy said, fire at full power with M and K lenses.

Your options are to either play around with the shutter speed and aperture until you get the most desirable lighting (and that takes ages), to use an auto or manual external flash, or to get an *ist D, which has full TTL suppor).

For more information on TTL, visit this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-faq/2345-pentax-dslrs-support-ttl-flash.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Ok, so the flash fires at full power no matter what. That's what I guessed at too after doing some test shooting a little while ago.

So my best bet is to play with aperture until I get the best result and stick it at the max flash sync of 1/180 sec, until I get a hotshoe flash.

I'll just remember to try to get off the manual lenses in those situations for next time if I need to take a critical shot until I get more practice.

Thanks for the input guys!
02-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Let's not forget dusting off the old method of dividing the distance into the guide number to come up with aperture.

02-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i use an old Olympus T32 with my manual lenses.. they work quite well and can be picked up off ebay for a reasonable price.. i iad £40 quid with postage for mine..

trog