Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I am happy to see a possible convert from Nikon to Pentax, I'm curious why you thought Nikon did not meet your needs, only because there is the obvious advantage kof keeping your old glass, which you give up if you switch systems.

For me the only possible are, in body stabilization, as many Nikon bodies (especially once you move from the consumer/entry level ones) support metering with the older lenses, and compactness/weight, where many Nikon lenses seem to have grown substantially with automation

I'm just curious to understand what drives the decision, because you will have to put out a lot of money in new glass depending on what you determine you need

11-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #17
mee
Site Supporter

I get the feeling you are looking to use older lenses with this new Pentax body. As a result, and of you mentioning weather sealing being a requirement of the body, I'd like to point out that the older lenses do not have weather sealing. Nor do most (any?) of the prime lenses. This means your camera (body + lens) as a whole will not be protected. You'll need to ensure the lens you buy either saws 'WR' 'AW' or has a star/asterisk (DA*) after the lens type to ensure weather sealing.
11-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I get the feeling you are looking to use older lenses with this new Pentax body. As a result, and of you mentioning weather sealing being a requirement of the body, I'd like to point out that the older lenses do not have weather sealing. Nor do most (any?) of the prime lenses. This means your camera (body + lens) as a whole will not be protected. You'll need to ensure the lens you buy either saws 'WR' 'AW' or has a star/asterisk (DA*) after the lens type to ensure weather sealing.
There are two points here, the use of his current Nikon glass,mwhich he will have to give up, and lack of WR lenses.

In a past post,mother OP addressed both these, basing his assessments of needs. He stated that he used his Nikon glass in the rain, and it was simple post use care and the build quality that took care of any water ingress. He then stated he assumed Pentax build quality was similar, and he is prepared to change out everything for Pentax equivalents on the used market

To me this means he will use the same logic with Pentax, but the real issue is that if he has quality Nikon lenses, the Pentax equivalents will not be cheap. Most of the quality legacy lenses are fought over already by the ever growing Pentax market base, and as a result. He may be disappointed at what he can easily find.

That's why I asked what was really driving the move to Pentax,mbecause except for IS he should be able to find a Nikon body that suits his needs
11-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your info. The K50 certainly has my interest, even new kits are reasonably priced.

Lowell Goudge - yes the IBIS and weathersealing combination are the reasons I started lookoing at Pentax dslrs. The camera size is also good. I have largish arthritic hands so too small a camera is out. The compact meter comparison site was helpful there.

As far as lenses are concerned, I have not got that far yet. In the "middle ages" when I bought into Nikon slrs there were usually two versions of each lens I was interested in. According to the magazines back then (there were at least four US publications), the lenses were virtually the same when stopped down a couple of stops. I have very little need for fast lenses so I am hoping to be able to look at some less expensive options - third party also considered.

George

11-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flatop222 Quote
Thanks to all for your info. The K50 certainly has my interest, even new kits are reasonably priced.

Lowell Goudge - yes the IBIS and weathersealing combination are the reasons I started lookoing at Pentax dslrs. The camera size is also good. I have largish arthritic hands so too small a camera is out. The compact meter comparison site was helpful there.

As far as lenses are concerned, I have not got that far yet. In the "middle ages" when I bought into Nikon slrs there were usually two versions of each lens I was interested in. According to the magazines back then (there were at least four US publications), the lenses were virtually the same when stopped down a couple of stops. I have very little need for fast lenses so I am hoping to be able to look at some less expensive options - third party also considered.

George
George,

For the lens range you are looking for, look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I shot with it about a month ago and it exceeded all my expectations. I have the premium primes from Pentax and used to shoot with pro lenses in my Canon days. The Tamron when stopped down to f4 and smaller will match any lens I have shot with. For the longer range I am using the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. It is a heavy lens but the same results as the 17-50. On a recent trip to Maine doing nature photography, I brought along all my primes but ended up using the two Tamrons exclusively. My Camera is a K3 but I have owned and shot with the k5IIs. K50 is a fine choice as a friend of mine with whom I travelled uses it and loves it. He also owns the K3 and other Pentax bodies but somehow uses the K50 more than the others.

The Tamrons are not WR but the glass quality is pro class. A K3 with a used 17-50 and a new 70-200 will cost you in the $1,600-1,700 range. If you have the budget, with this combo you will get very high quality images with the maximum DSLR resolution available for Pentax currently. K50 with the two lenses will be in the $1,300 range which is still a great deal.
11-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
KDD
Veteran Member

Welcome to PF! Which High-End or Mid-Range or Entry-Level???
11-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
K-S2 with 18-50mm WR Lens, 50-200mm WR Lens, 32GB SD Card and Camera Bag at Costco for $499. I almost went for that deal. Instead, I got the K-3 from Adorama with a 50mm and flash for around $650. To quote Tony Northrup "At any given price point the Pentax is almost always the best value".
11-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, I'd always thought Northrup a bought SoCaNikon man, but recently I noticed he's done a lengthy instructional video on the KS-2. Has he had an epiphany of some kind? Did a K-1000 appear to him on the road to PhotoKina and say "I am Pentax, whom you persecute"?

For entry level I have to say, the costco deal would have been hard for me to refuse if I had been starting from scratch. For anyone with older Pentax glass, though, or who has no problem shooting exclusively with a 50mm prime on APSC, the K3 deal is IMO the one to choose.

11-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Nor do most (any?) of the prime lenses.
DA* 55 f/1.4 is the only one I can think of. Hopefully the upcoming primes will all have DC/WR, even the more affordable ones.
11-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, the only reason I bought the DA* 16-50 was to have the AW. I have the Tamron 17-50 and it's excellent. And I really like it better than the DA*. I have the 50-135 because I didn't have the Tamron 70-200. If I find a nice copy of the Tamron, I might sell my DA* set. I just like my Tamron 17-50 that much. The DA* lenses are quirky with the SDM thing and I'm never confident that it's not going to fail and need repair.
11-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
DA* 55 f/1.4 is the only one I can think of. Hopefully the upcoming primes will all have DC/WR, even the more affordable ones.
100mm D-FA WR f/2.8 macro has it.
11-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Good call!
11-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
As well as the 200, 300, and 560...but that's beyond the relevance of this discussion.

To the OP, I would echo that you would probably be happy with a new K-50. However, consider the K-5II/s off the used market if you value the top plate LCD, tank-like solidity, and a few extra external controls. (There are some other differences as well.)

For lenses, you state that manual focus is okay and you are looking for 35-200mm equivalent focal lengths. It seems you are looking at prime lenses--correct me if I'm wrong. That 35mm-e is the tricky one. You would be looking for 24mm and wider lenses, which are typically more expensive than 28's, which are thick on the ground. I would highly recommend the DA 21mm f3.2 Limited, as someone else did above. Lovely metal build, tiny size, wonderful image quality. At their current prices of ~$100 each, it's also difficult to not recommend the DA 35/2.4 and 50/1.8. Great IQ, modern coatings, plastic build.

So that's current AF lenses. For MF, 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm are among the most common and least expensive focal lengths. M series lenses require you to use the aperture ring on the lens and press the green button to meter. A series lenses can have the aperture selected from the camera body.

KEH currently has a DA 21/3.2 and an A 24/28 for about $300 each. Various MF 28's are available from ~$60-300. There's an A 35/2.8 for about $100, and an A 50/1.4 for a bit more. An M 135/3.5 is about $50. So you could get a 28 or 35, and a fast 50, and a 135 for <$300 total.

Anyway, that should get you started. Let us know which way you go!
01-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #29

Original Poster
Update and more questions(may be off topic):

Update: based on my post of 11/06/15 and the excellent feedback I received, I had decided to buy the K50.
However ( thereís always a however isnít there?) I received a notice from my eye physician that it
was time for my checkup. I had assumed (very dangerous for me) that I would be getting a new
prescription because I had noticed that my vision had changed a little. Well, as luck would have it,
I am developing a cataract.

Questions: about cataract surgery. Generally, as I understand it, this is a routine operation, but I only have
one eye, so there is a risk factor. My questions are about which lens to choose. At this time, I am
planning to use a distance focus lens and reading glasses. This should not be a problem as I already
wear trifocals. There are other types of lenses available so any experiences anyone has had about
the lenses or operation would be greatly appreciated.

I am also assuming(ha!) that there will be no effect on my use of the K50 after the operation. Any comments about this also appreciated.

George