Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Center point AF k50 vs k3

I've been wanting to upgrade to a k3 (from k50) for the improved AF but I currently only use center point AF so will it even make a difference? I tried looking it up but it sounds like center point is center point regardless of how many other points there are. And should I be using something other than center point for day to day shooting? I've never really messed with it so dunno if it will improve anything. Thanks

11-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you use fast lenses (2,8 ;1,8 ...) selecting the AF point will help you with the sharpness

on this shot is have used the af point on the right eye but is isn't as critical as it could have been with a longer lens (77/1,8 etc)

11-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought the center point was the most accurate. And yes, most of my lenses are 2.8 and faster.
11-07-2015, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see some improvement accuracy in my k3 over my k50 using center point, mainly in low light.

11-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I thought the center point was the most accurate. And yes, most of my lenses are 2.8 and faster.
IT may depend on the lens (field curvature etc)
11-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
If you use fast lenses (2,8 ;1,8 ...) selecting the AF point will help you with the sharpness

on this shot is have used the af point on the right eye but is isn't as critical as it could have been with a longer lens (77/1,8 etc)

Not if you use center point, gain focus lock, and recompose...
11-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not if you use center point, gain focus lock, and recompose...
IF you use AF-C then its fine but the DOF/Plane of focus moves and it can mess the shot.
11-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
KDD
Veteran Member

Who win???

11-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

From a k30 to k3 user... The center point AF is faster, more accurate and decisive when focus.
11-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
From a k30 to k3 user... The center point AF is faster, more accurate and decisive when focus.
Sorry for stealing the thread, but...

I am looking to upgrade from my K-50 to K-3 but I am having a hard time with deciding if it is worth the money and hassle. I know 24mpx and 14bit raws would be bloody nice, but is there any noticeable improvement in terms of image quality?

I am using 35mm hd limited and I am not really impressed with the quality
11-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote

I am looking to upgrade from my K-50 to K-3 but I am having a hard time with deciding if it is worth the money and hassle. I know 24mpx and 14bit raws would be bloody nice, but is there any noticeable improvement in terms of image quality?

You may have checked already but are you sure the focus is spot on? I thought a few of my lenses were crap but after I really checked and adjusted the focus, the images were perfect. I wouldn't ever need anything sharper than what I get with my k50. A bit more resolution on far away subjects with fast primes would be nice but that's it really.

---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 10:13 AM ----------

After doing this for two years now, I've come to realize that 99% of my issues are operator error. Of course ymmv. I can blame my equipment all I want but when I really take the time to get the knowledge needed to address a problem correctly, I almost always find out it was my fault.

---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 10:23 AM ----------

And just like this post. I'm pretty confident that in the end, I'm going to find out that any focus issue I have, is my fault. Maybe I need to use a different setting depending on the lens I'm shooting with. I hope that's the case. I'd rather spend $280 on a second k50 than 650 on a k3.
11-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote

I dont have the 35mm macro, but the dfa50 and dfa100macro, both give me very sharp images on the k30 and the k3 too, the k3 allows me more crop wich is good for my kind of photography, so, yes the k3 withou AA filter give more details, and a overall crisp images but dont make the lens "a new lens", maybe you can fine adjust the focus or maybe is something wrong with the 35mm, the only drawback on my upgrade is that all my presets dont work on the k3 as they used to work on the k30 and maybe the diferent button layout, but everything else is a upgrade on terms gear and functions
11-07-2015, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Back to the OP's question...

The center column of focus points on the K-3 all feature f/2.8 focus sensitivity and will provide superior precision over the K-30/K-50 when used with lenses wider than f/5.6 maximum aperture. That does not mean the K-30/K-50 AF center point sucks (it does not), but does mean that your percentage of acceptable AF results at center will be higher.

Steve
11-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I've been wanting to upgrade to a k3 (from k50) for the improved AF but I currently only use center point AF so will it even make a difference? I tried looking it up but it sounds like center point is center point regardless of how many other points there are. And should I be using something other than center point for day to day shooting? I've never really messed with it so dunno if it will improve anything. Thanks
I think the biggest improvement of practical significance is the -3EV sensitivity. This makes the AF faster in low to moderate light, and also more precise in very low light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like I'll be spending $650 then

---------- Post added 11-07-15 at 11:23 AM ----------

Seriously though, with my decision to focus on concerts, it's pretty much a no brainer then. I do think in se cases I should be using maybe AF-a and 5 point auto on my
K50 though. Especially when taking pictures of my three year old. He sits still a bit longer than he used to but he's still hard to chase around.