Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

2 things for me:

- Most people will not take the Pentax FF, like most people don't buy an FF at all, whatever the brand. APSC has rougly 90% of the DSLR market now and this will not change until FF are sold new for 400-600$. But when you market an FF camera, you are after getting money from the top 10% of people that spend the most money on their gear. Theses people always want the best available and agree to pay a premium for it. That's a market segment. A bit like sport cars. For one market what count is a big sensor and for the other market what count is a powerfull engine.

- The Pentax FF will have pixel shift anyway bundled with a 36 or 42MP sensor so if you are after ultimate resolution and have lot of money to spend, Pentax will have you covered. Don't be afraid, you amateur of always getting the latest and greatest will be served well in exchange of your money.

11-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It will be more than discontinued, there will be a mandatory recall. Failure to surrender your k3ii to your dealer will cause Amazon-style drones to "reverse deliver" your camera when you aren't looking. There may be some bad publicity, but the increased FF sales will pay off for Ricoh/Pentax.
11-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Nah, i dont thin Ricoh discontinue the k3ii, at least no until they bring the k3iii or the k9 (5,7 and posible the 1 already taken) or a new nomenclature.

Beside, by that logic Ricoh must discontinue also the 645 line, because the FF with pixel shift will bring close DR.
11-08-2015, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there is a deliberate mis-characterization of what was said in other threads. What was said was that in limited situations, APS-C cameras could match full frame color depth, dynamic range and resolution by using pixel shift. There is no doubt that this is true. However, (a) a full frame with pixel shift would out resolve an APS-C camera with pixel shift, (b) there are many situations where pixel shift is not usable due to artifacts and (c) full frame gives the benefit of offering faster lenses/shallower depth of field/better high iso -- things which APS-C does OK at, but not as good.

To give a serious answer to the question, there will be a replacement to the K3 II in the future and it will probably feature a second generation pixel shift, probably with some type of de-ghosting algorithim built in. This still won't replace full frame cameras, but it will make the feature more usable in a variety of situations.

11-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Troll thread title and a frankly preposterous premise
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
i think there's a difference between rumor and conjecture
Troll with conjecture to start a rumor...wait a few hours and cross-link this thread to a few other forums and it becomes fact

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It will be more than discontinued, there will be a mandatory recall. Failure to surrender your k3ii to your dealer will cause Amazon-style drones to "reverse deliver" your camera when you aren't looking. There may be some bad publicity, but the increased FF sales will pay off for Ricoh/Pentax.
Now there is something plausible! Is there any chance they will confiscate K-3 too?

Steve
11-08-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In preparation for the inevitable confiscation of K-3/K-3II cameras, I have secured a purchase option on land for a small compound in northern Idaho. The parcel is on raised ground and would be easily defensible using even small arms. Any drone approaching within 200 yards could be easily dispatched. Anybody interested in banding together to defend our cameras from confiscation please send me cash so that I initiate purchase.

How To Catch a Drone - The Atlantic

Steve

(...cash may be sent to the usual address...thank you all for your continued support...)
11-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Troll with conjecture to start a rumor...wait a few hours and cross-link this thread to a few other forums and it becomes fact
Exactly. Just like the F-35 is named as such because it uses 35mm sensors for DAS (distributed aperture system) which gives the pilot 360 degrees all-round visibility.

Ok I think I really have to stop now. Otherwise Ricoh might get taken over by Lockheed Martin (starting another rumor ).

11-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Otherwise Ricoh might get taken over by Lockheed Martin (starting another rumor ).
Wha? Didn't you get the news?

Steve
11-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I can cope with a compulsory recall on my K-5 if they deliver a brand new, fully functional full-frame in its place. With decrippled mount and TTL flash metering, of course.
11-08-2015, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In preparation for the inevitable confiscation of K-3/K-3II cameras, I have secured a purchase option on land for a small compound in northern Idaho. The parcel is on raised ground and would be easily defensible using even small arms. Any drone approaching within 200 yards could be easily dispatched. Anybody interested in banding together to defend our cameras from confiscation please send me cash so that I initiate purchase.

How To Catch a Drone - The Atlantic

Steve

(...cash may be sent to the usual address...thank you all for your continued support...)
You can get anti-drone shotgun shells, but real men keep one of these anti-drone devices around:

As a plus, it will also defend against motorcycles, backhoes, punching bags,... pretty much anything it thinks is rammable (i.e. everything).
11-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Got a link? The title of this article says it will be called the K-1, but the text says it may be called the K-1, and that is only based on a rumor at the show.

Anyway, I guess I'm just skeptical to rumors in general. Maybe because some time ago, there was a "rumor" on a forum which I could actually trace back to conjecture as well, by a single person. Nothing more. But enough people repeated that and soon enough it became a rumor.
I've seen several pictures in the threads about the NYC show. However I honestly don't have the energy to find them. It isn't rumor. It is objective fact that the camera had a white label that pulled back enough to see what appears to be K-1.
11-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Anyone interested in how to shoot down a drone could do worse than watch the 70s (?? early 80s) children's film "The Sky Pirates", in which the deed is done by a quartet of R/C Spitfires with jury-rigged dart launchers fitted under the wings.
11-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think there is a deliberate mis-characterization of what was said in other threads. What was said was that in limited situations, APS-C cameras could match full frame color depth, dynamic range and resolution by using pixel shift. There is no doubt that this is true. However, (a) a full frame with pixel shift would out resolve an APS-C camera with pixel shift, (b) there are many situations where pixel shift is not usable due to artifacts and (c) full frame gives the benefit of offering faster lenses/shallower depth of field/better high iso -- things which APS-C does OK at, but not as good.

To give a serious answer to the question, there will be a replacement to the K3 II in the future and it will probably feature a second generation pixel shift, probably with some type of de-ghosting algorithim built in. This still won't replace full frame cameras, but it will make the feature more usable in a variety of situations.
I think that all biz-engineer wanted to ear: some pro FF argument so he could feel better with everybody saying no the FF is great bla bla bla

While I agree that in general this is true, the other thread shown that it is a bit more complex than that. Sure the best FF with best lenses are going to do better than the best APSC with best lenses but this doesn't apply in every situation.

- If you care about sharpness, you need an FF body that has more MP to begin with otherwise there will be no significant difference. You cannot get a basic low MP FF and claim it will print A0 at 300dpi (last time I checked it still required more than 100MP...) it will actually print the same size with the same dpi as any camera with same MP.
- if you care about ultimate razor thin deph of field, you'll need fast lenses, so that's f/2.8 zooms and better f/1.4 primes. If you get a slower lens on you wider sensor or just get a zoom while another shooter will use a prime, then the advantage is lost.
- if you care about low light performance, the compromize is the same as on APSC: you'll get less deph of field, less dof by using wider appertures. You can stretch it 1EV more with FF, counting you can find a fast enough and affordable enough lens. That's best exercized with a 85mm f/1.4, there no 50mm f/1 lens on APSC to match or with an 70-200 f/2.8 zoom there no 50-135 f/2 lens to match. But say you are interrested in FF equivalent 100-300 or a 400mm prime and you'll spend many thousand dollar to keep this adventage again quite affordable 70-200 f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 lenses available on APSC.

Sure lenses tend to perform better stopped down and that FA50 f/1.4 isn't going to be that sharp and contrasty at f/1.4 or even f/2... That's maybe one of the most significant adventage, but again you don't need your lens to be perfect, just good enough. the FA50 isn't maybe good enough at f/1.4 but the 50-135 at f/2.8 might very well be. The real issue is this one has slow AF, not that is not sharp enough.

The advantages are there, sure. On reviews and charts they are obvious. By the numbers you really get an edge with an FF body. But if you ask people if a given picture was taken with an FF or an APSC or even an m4/3, they have some difficulties to guess.

If you make a living out of photography, or if you are the type that need the best, then, go on. If you have other activities in life and maybe not enough money to buy always the best, all the time, really you will not loose that much with a more basic APSC camera. People will argue but most often will fail to guess the camera or the lens that was used for the shot. Cheat and say it was taken with an FF, nobody will ever catch you if you deleted the exifs.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-08-2015 at 02:10 PM.
11-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The advantages are there and on reviews and chart they are obvious. By the numbers you really get an edge with an FF body. But if you ask people if a given picture was taken with an FF or an APSC or even an m4/3, they have some difficulties to guess.
Depends how good the Pentax FF will be vs K-3II pixel shift, or vs a new APSC version (BSI ?). Given the visible drop in product release of Pentax products in 2015, it could be expected that there will be more products released in 2016.
11-08-2015, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

With all the anti-drone sentiment around the world, I can see a revival looming for the sport of falconry.

Training an eagle or hawk to catch a drone should be easy. They seem to be naturals at it: