Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photos Recovered!

I had a memory card error yesterday while shooting at my daughter's play. The camera appeared to record the images, but got a memory error when hitting the playback button (K20D). When I got home, as I suspected all of my photos were "missing" on the SD card. I tried a trick I used once before, but no luck. So I did some hunting and found "PhotoRec":

PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery

Bingo, the day is saved! This software has a command prompt interface, but it definitely works and it is free!

I also found a reference to formatting your SD card in the camera to prevent memory card errors. I have done this and I hope this helps.

A big lesson learned for me is to carry at least one spare SD card and switch cards at the first sign of trouble.

11-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the link; and congratulations on being able to save your images! This is a good lesson for all of us!
11-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I had a memory card error yesterday
Now you've get the images off the card, time to to bin it and replace with a new card(s).

I replace my cards on a fifo (fist in, first out) basis every few months... even without any failures. I treat cards as consumable, just like film in the good old days.

My images are too important to risk potentially losing on something cheap as cards.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-10-2015 at 07:55 AM.
11-10-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I tried out 4 or 5 of what were rated as the best free file/photo recovery programs and photorec was hands down the best of the lot. Not only is it free but multiplatform (OS).

11-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for photorec. Although for someone who's uncomfortable with the command-line, Recuva is quite a powerful alternative.
11-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
+1 for photorec. Although for someone who's uncomfortable with the command-line, Recuva is quite a powerful alternative.
Kudos for Recuva .... I actually had to use it (again) an hours ago: works great!

JP
11-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

A big lesson learned for me is to carry at least one spare SD card and switch cards at the first sign of trouble.
Indeed....and extra SD card and battery are always worth carrying along...hopefully never needed, but when you need it...there is no substitute.

Glad you were able to save your images.
11-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

I also found a reference to formatting your SD card in the camera to prevent memory card errors. I have done this and I hope this helps.
I believe this is the safest thing to do -- formatting one type of partition (e.g., an SD card) from another type of partition (e.g., from a PC) is just asking (or perhaps ~begging~) for trouble.

11-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
+1 I have heard that this is one of the best ways to prevent memory loss/corruption.
11-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #10

I've used PhotoRec + the companion TestDisk for years now, its great not only for photo recovery but pretty much any file format out there. I had a failed batch "cut" operation done with my phone; was in the middle of transferring lecture notes and the phone suddenly disconnected mid transfer. Reconnected the phone and to my horror, all the files had been "cut", but not "pasted" at all. Hunted around for 2 hours and finally found TestDisk+PhotoRec and recovered everything.

It sits archived on the computer and rarely ever comes out (I've properly used it about 4 times?), but when I need it, I'm glad its ready to go.