Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a user of both AF and MF lenses for wild life, I find that both can work, and that it is a situational issue.

For AF, I only need to point below to shots that work

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187646-post19.html

AF can work if you have a clear shot.

I also agree it is sometimes hard, shooting through branches to get that clear shot.

MF, in those cases works better I agree

06-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I've seen that thread and have seen it linked in various other threads for different reasons, and for some reason I just think the title is funny. Sometimes when I'm shooting and get an out-of-focus shot & I think to myself "Do you accept your picture is slightly blurr?" .

06-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #33
Veteran Member

AF vs MF for low light

My main problem with DSLR's in general has been night or low light photography. With AF the camera keeps hunting or just shuts down. Would MF help this? Would a Katzeye help the focusing? Any thoughts?
06-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
My main problem with DSLR's in general has been night or low light photography. With AF the camera keeps hunting or just shuts down. Would MF help this? Would a Katzeye help the focusing? Any thoughts?
there is another thread on low light focusing. I dont think a katz eye would work, because it needs light to work just like AF. for true low light you want a plain focusing screen and MF.

06-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I've seen that thread and have seen it linked in various other threads for different reasons, and for some reason I just think the title is funny.
I don't disagree, but the title was picked by someone else, and I showed the difference between a perfect shot frozen by flash and a wide open hand held 300mm shot at 1/30.
QuoteQuote:
Sometimes when I'm shooting and get an out-of-focus shot & I think to myself "Do you accept your picture is slightly blurr?" .

I think about this all the time, and the answer is maybe. When I shoot birds, I have 2 things in mind, Identification and printable image. I have adapted an approach that If I don't have a photo, I have not seen it. and I have photo's for virtually (but not yet 100%) of the 295 different species I have seen to date. Some shots are purely good for identification, they don't need to be in focus, for example to identify a great egret from other large white birds, as long as you can see the shape of the neck in flight, the color of the legs and bill etc. but you would want better to print, much better. Other times while the image may be out of focus slightly, it depicts unusual behavior. the real issue is not that they are out of focus, but really only how big you want to print them.
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there is another thread on low light focusing. I dont think a katz eye would work, because it needs light to work just like AF. for true low light you want a plain focusing screen and MF.
Look closely. It is the same post as the original post in that thread. I'm guessing he posted here and decided that a separate thread was needed