Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens cleaning for K-50

I recently upgraded from a Kx to a K-50 and was disappointed to find that the latter did not have a way to check for dirt on the sensor. I found this was very useful on the Kx to decide when the sensor should be cleaned. Why would Pentax remove such a useful feature in a later model camera? Do they save money this way?

11-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can clean the sensor in the K-50 when starting up on shutting down. It uses the SR system to go this. SHakes the sensor.
As for sensing when it needs proper cleaning - I'm not sure.
11-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I question why they removed that feature too, now I have to go take a picture of the sky or a white paper, download it, and look for the spots. Kind of a step backwards, but the improvements far outweigh it
11-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You can clean the sensor in the K-50 when starting up on shutting down. It uses the SR system to go this. SHakes the sensor.
As for sensing when it needs proper cleaning - I'm not sure.
Yes, one can clean the sensor upon startup of the camera. That has not changed from the Kx. However, it would be nice to know if the sensor has gathered any dust beforehand so that cleaning may not be needed.

11-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Found that feature useful on my K2000 and was disappointed it was not in the K30.
11-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Found that feature useful on my K2000 and was disappointed it was not in the K30.
I apologize for mis-titling my thread. I should have called it "Sensor cleaning for K-50".
11-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #7

I got a sensor cleaning pen, haven't used it on the K50 yet and only had to use it on my Oly E3 once. Quick, clean and easy.
11-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
I got a sensor cleaning pen, haven't used it on the K50 yet and only had to use it on my Oly E3 once. Quick, clean and easy.
Is it for spot cleaning? If so, you would have to know exactly where the dust location is, to remove it. I've used a broader flat swab that proved effective for a stubborn "caked on" dirt spot which I could see with the naked eye. It was caused by an accidently dunking of my Kx in a stream when I fell. In this case a small pen type cleaner would be ideal I think.

11-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
Is it for spot cleaning? If so, you would have to know exactly where the dust location is, to remove it. I've used a broader flat swab that proved effective for a stubborn "caked on" dirt spot which I could see with the naked eye. It was caused by an accidently dunking of my Kx in a stream when I fell. In this case a small pen type cleaner would be ideal I think.
It's for cleaning the whole sensor.
II took a pic of the white ceiling, looked for dust spots (they were stuck on as the sensor shaker thing did a pretty good job otherwise), put it in service mode that locks the mirror up (Oly E-3) and used a torch and magnifying glass to check the sensor before and after wiping. I could clearly see the tiny stuck on specs.
11-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by P. Soo Quote
If so, you would have to know exactly where the dust location is, to remove it.
Yes a loupe is good for this. The ones with a cutaway to insert a cleaning tool would be ideal.