Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Selectable focus points in MF

Is there any Pentax DSLR body that lets you select/change the focus point from dead centre to anywhere else in the viewfinder when shooting with MF lenses? I'd like to do some close-up shots with the subjects near the edge with MF lenses, obtaining focus then shifting composition just is not practical with the shots that I have in mind.

Thanks,

11-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that I know of, but newer cameras like the K-3 and K-S2 have very good live view magnification which make precise manual focusing away from the center very easy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I thought, how different is the Live view on the K-3 and the K-S2 vs the K-5 (which has up to 10x magnification with MF lenses?
11-10-2015, 01:54 AM   #4

K-5 has serious LCD lagtime. I always adjust beyond the desired position and have to readjust backwards – it is unsuitable for live view MF.
K-3 has nearly no LCD lagtime and optional peaking, MF works fine.
None is really 1:1 in resolution, there is always a smal blur by scaling, so you’ll never get sharpness on single pixel level.
It’s a pity that you can’t select the focus point for Catch-in-Focus operation. CiF is a already excellent with fixed center point, but if you could choose from some/all AF points would boost the joy with MF lenses.

11-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducpent Quote
K-5 has serious LCD lagtime. I always adjust beyond the desired position and have to readjust backwards – it is unsuitable for live view MF.
K-3 has nearly no LCD lagtime and optional peaking, MF works fine.
None is really 1:1 in resolution, there is always a smal blur by scaling, so you’ll never get sharpness on single pixel level.
It’s a pity that you can’t select the focus point for Catch-in-Focus operation. CiF is a already excellent with fixed center point, but if you could choose from some/all AF points would boost the joy with MF lenses.
Yeah, it sure is a pity that focus point can't be selected with MF lenses - selecting the focus area on the Lumix G2 and the G6 (models I own) is simple to do whether the lens is AF or MF. The G2 can't even orient portrait images shot with MF lenses but it lets you select focus points with MF lenses, go figure.