Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ks-1 is cheap
there a store over here that sells it very cheap as well.
Looks like a nice camera. Has the green button also on top.
But the handgrip looks like a twig and it's button layout is so different from my K3.
I'd probably regret that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It was really... you just needed our blessing get a couple of FFs.
You think so? ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I seriously want that tilting screen for macro.
probably this is why i don't do much macro. I have a nice m100f4 though.. Waiting untill they run their christmas cashback offer is also an option..
It has the green button on top as well & otherwise layout is similar to my k3. Food for thought

Funny how nobody has an opinion on the k30 ..
And i wonder if anyone feels the same about the placement of the green button for using m lenses as i do?

11-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Funny how nobody has an opinion on the k30 ..
Those K-30 owners need to step up here, they aren't getting it done.
11-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I've sometimes toyed around with getting a cheaper body for prime shooting. If I did such a thing, I would get either the K-50 or the K-30. They seem to have the best performing sensor of the non-flagship bodies.
11-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those K-30 owners need to step up here, they aren't getting it done.
OK, I will. I love my K-30. Essentially the same as the newer K-50, but better-looking!

I bought the K-30 specifically because it has the same imaging pipeline as my K-01.

I shoot almost exclusively m42 lenses on my K-30. I use M mode. Mainly for wildlife, macro, and thin-DOF photos where I can hold it more steadily than the K-01.

11-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter

K5iis must be fairly cheap by now. The it has similar low light focusing and has slightly less noise compared to the K3

Good luck

Randy
11-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Second bodies should be the same as the primary body.
Then, when the day comes, you will be able to shoot with two bodies at the same time.

Backup bodies are something else.
11-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Second bodies should be the same as the primary body.
Then, when the day comes, you will be able to shoot with two bodies at the same time.

Backup bodies are something else.
You're probably saying this from a professional pov.
I'm an amateur but i do want a second body to be at least similar in layout.
I'm currently leaning towards the K30. They are affordable/available and it has some significant advantages vs the kr. At least it seems to me.
I was indeed thinking of a K5 as well, but then i wonder if i shouldn't be looking for a k5IIs, which leads me into a higher price class again.
I'll give it some rest for now :-)

thks for all opinions sofar...
11-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
You're probably saying this from a professional pov.
I'm an amateur but i do want a second body to be at least similar in layout.
I'm currently leaning towards the K30. They are affordable/available and it has some significant advantages vs the kr. At least it seems to me.
I was indeed thinking of a K5 as well, but then i wonder if i shouldn't be looking for a k5IIs, which leads me into a higher price class again.
I'll give it some rest for now :-)

thks for all opinions sofar...
Gotcha.

11-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep my K50 as my K3 backup myself. I find it very easy to switch from one to the other but I owned the K50 before the K3.
11-11-2015, 04:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sony A7!
Electronic viewfinder is better for manual focusing and you get the FOV your lenses were designed for. Not exactly the cheapest option of course.
11-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Sony A7!
Electronic viewfinder is better for manual focusing and you get the FOV your lenses were designed for. Not exactly the cheapest option of course.
And you've got to spend way too much money for any model of A7 that gives you Shake Reduction.
11-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Go up the ladder. Get the k-3II. If there's a slight edge over the K-3, at least you went higher. If pop up flash is important to you, I agree with klh, get another K-3.
11-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Having a second identical body offers many advantages. The key one for me is that I think less and less about the camera settings. I have identical user modes set and rarely do I fiddle when using the cameras in my default usage modes. I think this helps a lot.

A second advantage is, if there is any doubt about a result/problem, then it is so much easier to resolve with identical bodies as comparisons are easily made.

Not sure what will happen when the FF comes out. I will not be buying two FFs. In reality my two body K-3 solution gives me great flexibility and I print to A2 regularly with no interpolation, so why would I want a FF to mess this up ? Why ...
11-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd probably get a used K5 or K5IIs and replace the stock screen with a split-focus screen to make those manual focus lenses easier to use. I did that with my K10 years back (sold it since) and it was a pleasure to use manual focus with the proper screen.
11-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
In reality my two body K-3 solution gives me great flexibility and I print to A2 regularly with no interpolation, so why would I want a FF to mess this up ? Why ...
Because you'd want the latest & the greatest :-)

Trust me, i'm doing the math on this.
A k30 will cost me about 320euros 2ndhand, add to that the fact that i do want a quality wr solution for when i don't want to use my primes, read: 16-85 which will cost me about 650euros.
that makes +- 1k.
the K3II combo with 16-85 currently goes 1500euro & likely to go down as christmas comes along, either with cashback or just because..
So it is an option. As is a nice used K5IIs when one comes along.

the FF, i don't know... Love to use my fa31 & m lenses on one, but at what expense? apsc serves me fine right now.