Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What K5 variation ?

I was looking into purchasing a used K5 from the web site. There are three for sale, K5, K5II and K5IIs. Snap shot has the K5 rated higher, what do you guys think. I am going to use it to shoot weddings.

11-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I was looking into purchasing a used K5 from the web site. There are three for sale, K5, K5II and K5IIs. Snap shot has the K5 rated higher, what do you guys think. I am going to use it to shoot weddings.

If all else fails, you could read the reviews on Blade Forums :

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-5II and K-5IIs are a better camera as far as autofocus goes, Ricoh did quite a significant AF upgrade. The K-5IIs has the AA filter removed, which could be a dis-advantage, depending on who you talk to. If they are about the same price, you're probably just as well off to get the K-5II.
11-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they are at all similarly priced, get the IIs.

11-10-2015, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

My favorite of the K5 models, and favorite Pentax DSLR of all time, is the K-5iis. However, if you're going to shoot weddings, you might be better off with the K5ii, with its AA filter. In any case, I'd take one of the K-5ii models over the original K-5 just for the better, more light sensitive AF.
11-10-2015, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

All 3 have the same sensor, same controls, and very similar image quality. The key differences are:
  • Autofocus: The ii and iis have better AF than the original K-5, especially in low light.
  • Anti-alias filter: The K-5 and K-5ii have an anti-alias filter that introduces a very minor, almost invisible, blur to reduce moire (a very fine false rainbow pattern triggered by fine lines from some fabrics or distant fences). The K-5iis removes that filter, increasing sharpness but also increasing the risk of moire.
You mentioned weddings. I think the K-5ii is the best of those 3 choices. You'll appreciate the improved autofocus in dim churches and reception halls. The presence of an AA filter will mean less processing to remove moire in clothing.
11-10-2015, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #7

In my experience, the K-5iis is unequivocally unbeatable in the K-5 series. Never once a single instance of moiré, just stupidly sharp images from an ergonomic success of a camera.
I'd recommend either of the K-5ii cameras over the K-5.

11-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Never once a single instance of moiré,
I would add a disclaimer there, see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/296802-k-5iis-ex...-examples.html
My personal experience has been quite the opposite.

However, I can say, that since then I haven't seen any more evidence of extreme moire like that, and that includes shooting a wedding.
11-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Photographers showing strong moire on houndstooth, checkered, or other small-patterned cloths often used in men's suits and ties
...add satin and lace to the list...

Steve
11-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K5IIs - is one of my all-time favorite cameras.
It's not a K3, is slow by comparison, but such a wonderful camera.
A perfect "photographer's camera", where you can relax and take a snap here and there.

I use my K3 cameras pretty much every single day to make money, and they are workhorses in my workflow, but the K5IIs?

My relax and take pictures camera.

I will never part with mine...even though I also have two K5 cameras laying around.
11-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was go with a K3 if you can afford it as the extra MP come in handy when you have to crop.
As far as K5 series, I have owned the K5iis for a couple of years and after hundreds of pics, not once have I got any shots with moire
The k5iis will be a much faster camera in the auto focus department... when they are coming down the Isle you need to make sure you can lock focus or it is game over

Good luck on your decision

Randy
11-10-2015, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Hi Kim,

Now that you got my Sigma 17-50. Maybe you can buy my K5iis. I've used all 3 variations. K5ii and K5iiS are pretty much on par with better autofocus than the K5. Between the two, since you have the limiteds, you will see some better sharpness with the K5iiS. Not by much though.

Incidentally, the K5ii that is now on sale here by Jeff was originally mine. I can vouch for the quality of that particular one.
11-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bet this FA77 would blow my mind on your K5iis
11-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #14

As others have said, the AF difference between the original K5 and the K5II series is important, especially for weddings which are often held in dimly lit venues.

As for the II or IIs, if you are doing weddings, is the slight chance of moire showing up worth it over the slight increase in sharpness? Either are fantastic cameras.
11-13-2015, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
As others have said, the AF difference between the original K5 and the K5II series is important, especially for weddings which are often held in dimly lit venues.

As for the II or IIs, if you are doing weddings, is the slight chance of moire showing up worth it over the slight increase in sharpness? Either are fantastic cameras.
hi Jeff, Sell Kim the K5ii. He now has my Sigma 17-50. They need to be reunited Seriously, it's a good match considering the near silent shutter of the K5 family (vs the K30, K50) and the HSM of the Sigma. Very good for event photography.