Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #1

brand new K10D high image and click count

hi everybody,

today i bought my very first big camera, been saving for more than 1 year to get the pentax K10D...but i'm a bit restless about some issues...

the store where i bought the camera only had 1 more that came out the box, the other one was a demo model ,so i bought the one that was still inside its box... i asked repeatedly if this was a never used camera, since demo models are often thrown around by people i really do not want to give my hard earned money to a used camera where only god knows what happened to it...

anyway after arriving home i noticed that the battery charger was missing...so the box had been opened before, after going back to the shop the guy assured me that it had been removed just to charge another K10D battery from one of their demo models...annyway again he said i shouldn't worry about it and that it was a brand new camera...

now i have been checking the shutter count using "photoME" and the shutter count of the camera is 206...isn't this much for a brand new camera

The first picture i took with the camera had the file name "IMGP0089.JPG" on this forum most seem to have there first image startong at IMGP0001"

....does this mean that this is not a new camera and that someone else already took 88 pictures with it ..or could this perfectly be do to factory testing

i really don't want to blow this thing up but its just that i really worked hard just to buy this camera in brand new condition ,so i'd hate being riped of now that i actuallu bought it.

should i worry or does it seem there's no reasson to worry and that everything sounds perfectly normal.

anyway i'd appreciate any help from you guys

kind regards

06-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a demo or return to me.
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

It's pretty much impossible that it hasn't been used and 88 shots taken. I'd def say something!
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by generic Quote
hi everybody,

today i bought my very first big camera, been saving for more than 1 year to get the pentax K10D...but i'm a bit restless about some issues...

the store where i bought the camera only had 1 more that came out the box, the other one was a demo model ,so i bought the one that was still inside its box... i asked repeatedly if this was a never used camera, since demo models are often thrown around by people i really do not want to give my hard earned money to a used camera where only god knows what happened to it...

anyway after arriving home i noticed that the battery charger was missing...so the box had been opened before, after going back to the shop the guy assured me that it had been removed just to charge another K10D battery from one of their demo models...annyway again he said i shouldn't worry about it and that it was a brand new camera...

now i have been checking the shutter count using "photoME" and the shutter count of the camera is 206...isn't this much for a brand new camera

The first picture i took with the camera had the file name "IMGP0089.JPG" on this forum most seem to have there first image startong at IMGP0001"

....does this mean that this is not a new camera and that someone else already took 88 pictures with it ..or could this perfectly be do to factory testing

i really don't want to blow this thing up but its just that i really worked hard just to buy this camera in brand new condition ,so i'd hate being riped of now that i actuallu bought it.

should i worry or does it seem there's no reasson to worry and that everything sounds perfectly normal.

anyway i'd appreciate any help from you guys

kind regards

My K10D (supposedly new) had been fired about 200 times too, I assumed it was factory QC checking before it was boxed and shipped. I haven't had a problem with it yet, so I haven't been too worried.

06-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although photome shows me a 289 higher shutter count than the image number, i got my camera with 0001.

Last edited by morfic; 06-25-2008 at 10:54 AM.
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #6

There is a differential of about 200-250 actuations with my camera between what PhotoME says and my last image number. I bought it brand new last year and haven't had any issues with it.
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
so its safe to assume that the camera is not new as they told me ...they just probably sold me a demo or return model ...also the 200 clicks is maybe not that strange taking in consideration that there are more people who have a click count between 100 and 200 for a straight out the box camera...

the image count starting at 0088 is what bothers me most...

pfffff i'm so down right now, now tomorrow i probably have to go through allot of trouble to try and get my money back, and i think the shop is just going to say that i took the 88 pictures or something ...in other words i probably paid around 600 euro's for a used camera....just my luck can't trust nobody anymore

06-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #8

The important things are picture IQ, focus speed, exposure metering accuracy and hot or dead pixels on the senor. As the shutter mechanism is rated for operating 50K times, a couple of hundred shots is a very small percentage. If everything else is fine I would opt to keep the camera and maybe try to get some discount from the dealer due to "not new" issue.
06-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #9

I wouldn't worry. While I definitely think you're entitled to a NEW camera, I wouldn't consider the one you have to be "used." Think about buying a car with 88 miles (/kilos) on it. It's a little less than new, but usually not considered to be used. "Program" or something similar. (I don't know if they have "program cars" outside the US, so forgive my colloquialism.)
06-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new camera shutter count varies

so its safe to assume that the camera is not new as they told me ...they just probably sold me a demo or return model ...also the 200 clicks is maybe not that strange taking in consideration that there are more people who have a click count between 100 and 200 for a straight out the box camera...

the image count starting at 0088 is what bothers me most...

pfffff i'm so down right now, now tomorrow i probably have to go through allot of trouble to try and get my money back, and i think the shop is just going to say that i took the 88 pictures or something ...in other words i probably paid around 600 euro's for a used camera....just my luck can't trust nobody anymore
New camera shutter count varies since some of the actuations are accounted for during QA. This topic has been discussed before in this forum.

My K10D has 86 actuations when it was brand new (I assume mine is new), since I have to enter time/date etc. Your camera is likely a return from a customer who was deciding betwen Pentax and other brand name. By the sound of it, the initial shutter count of your K10D was around 120 which is not unreasonable. The shop you get this camera from is probably not aware of that condition, or they didn't even bother to check. However, if the person who return it did a reset, you would not even have noticed that.

First, you should not worry too much as long as everything seems to be in place (no falling parts with no scratch and dent). Your camera should still be good (I wouldn't trade for any other brand - just my preference ). If you get it at good price - take it since it is manufacture discontinued. Meanwhile, use the camera as much as possible while it is still under warranty. I took mine for service after two months of usage (back focusing issue) and they upgrade the firmware for me and also everything looks new when it comes back.

However, having said that, you should go back to the shop where you purchase it from and voice you concern that you get a "slightly" used camera while you (both) thought it is a brand new camera; may be they will give you something for free (memory card, battery or whatever) for good will.
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A brand new camera when it's first turned on it goes right into the menus ans asks you to set the "Language", the "Date" and "Time" etc. If it didn't do that, it means somebody must have done it before you did.
06-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Initial Shot Count

kind regards
On the way out the factory door each camera body is tested by repeatedly firing the shutter and by repeatedly engaging DOF optical preview. This principle is similar to a computer 2-minute "burn-in" on the factory floor.

Optical preview counts as a shutter actuation in PhotoMe. Firing the shutter counts as an IMGP increment on the embedded image counter - thus the numbers can be different.

My brand new K10D had an initial shutter count of 269 and an initial image count of 0091. I asked the same questions of my seller, Adorama, and traded emails with the internal Pentax buyer and the Pentax rep. When this was fully explained to me I was satisfied, and I have never looked back.

Enjoy your camera - I would say your K10D is brand new and untouched by anyone other than Pentax.
06-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Shutter count around 100-200 in EXIF - Seems normal.

Filenames starting at anything other than IMGP0001 - BAD. It's likely not a new unit. Both my K10D and K20D started at IMGP0001
06-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #14

Original Poster
ok, when i first put the camera on the language was already in dutch...but it did ask me for the date and time ...is that saying annything or just that the person before me never took the time to fix the date

Last edited by generic; 06-25-2008 at 02:07 PM.
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Doesnt really matter. You still have guarantee from the date of the purchase. Stop worrying and take pictures with your new camera.

Even if someone tested it for 200 shots thats nothing. I probably shoot 300/day average.