Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 813
RH, I did like the above shot in nearly all respects, but might I ask that you limit your attached photos to the sizing guidelines of the Forums (max. 800 pixels in the longest dimension, IIRC). I don't run my browser window at full screen width, and find that oversized photo attachments mean that I have to use a lot of back-and-forth horizontal scrolling to read the text of posts when even one oversized image is on a Forum page. Thank you for considerate posting of more of your work in the future.

BTW, that's quite a bit of distortion of the horizon line (shoreline) from the choice of a 24mm FL (according to your image's EXIF data); the distortion of an off-center horizontal line is one of the drawbacks of a wide angle. I can understand your choice of such a FOV, but careful use (or correction of the distortion in pp) of the optical characteristics of a wide angle is a mark of good photographic craft. In your image, I'm afraid that the distortion calls the eye away from the subject. It also seems (I might be wrong) that your horizon isn't quite level, irrespective of the lens distortion. Otherwise, as I said earlier, I do like the image.


Last edited by christinelandon; 06-26-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added clarifying comment
06-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
Hei,

Thanks for reply. Wait for a few seconds for another shot could be alright!!

Other: press Ctrl botton + roll the Scroll Wheel on the mouse can size down the picture.

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-27-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typo (again)
06-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 813
QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
...snip.
Other: press Ctrl botton + roll the Scroll Wheel on the mouse can size down the picture.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I use a Mac system and your work-around is Windows-specific.

My request to RH (others do the same thing at times) to keep the size of attached photos within the Forum guidelines would solve the problem for nearly everyone with a modern monitor.
06-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #19
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 42
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Here is a "recent" example work of mine.
Nice. Is it just coincidence that right in the centre of the picture is Samsung sign ?

06-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Thanks for your suggestion, but I use a Mac system and your work-around is Windows-specific.

My request to RH (others do the same thing at times) to keep the size of attached photos within the Forum guidelines would solve the problem for nearly everyone with a modern monitor.
@christinelandon: You are entirely correct! The point isn't the trick doesn't work on a Mac. On Windows, it just reduces magnification of everything, rendering the font unreadable... No.

The point is that the Bulletin board layout is such that wide images make EVERY post in the thread too wide to be readable, even on a wide monitor, because you loose track of lines.

This is a bug of vBulletin by Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., actually. Better layout options do exist (the easiest would have been to use a html table columnspan for images).

@RH: The current workaround is: Use the IMGWIDE rather than the IMG tag. Maybe, edit your post accordingly. Thanks.
06-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
@RH: The current workaround is: Use the IMGWIDE rather than the IMG tag. Maybe, edit your post accordingly. Thanks.
Done! Thanks for the advice :-)
06-27-2008, 04:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
BTW, that's quite a bit of distortion of the horizon line (shoreline) from the choice of a 24mm FL (according to your image's EXIF data); the distortion of an off-center horizontal line is one of the drawbacks of a wide angle. I can understand your choice of such a FOV, but careful use (or correction of the distortion in pp) of the optical characteristics of a wide angle is a mark of good photographic craft. In your image, I'm afraid that the distortion calls the eye away from the subject. It also seems (I might be wrong) that your horizon isn't quite level, irrespective of the lens distortion. Otherwise, as I said earlier, I do like the image.
The distortion came from my 24-105L at 24mm. You see all of it just because I did not PP to "remove" it. As you may know, I don't like PP, I like the image to be more correct than I needed to rectify the errors by software which is rather time-consuming.

Still, this is the best 24mm lens I can get for shooting (although you're right that the barrel distortion is obvious, especially when shooting the horizon like this). If I used my DA 16-45 at 16 on my Pentax DSLR, the distortion will be even more obvious as it has more percentage of distortion than the L lens at 24, for the same FOV.
06-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I think what they are talking about is that the Dark Frame Subtraction Noise Reduction for longer time exposure which in the K20D does not have the option for the users to turn it off.

In the past, all Pentax DSLRs could have the Dark Frame Subtraction turned off, as a option. It seems that the new Samsung sensor of the K20D is just too noisy that Pentax decided to force it to turn on all the time and thus disable the option.

Do note that the Dark Frame Subtraction "NR" is different from those NR by NeatImage etc. noise removing software (and in-camera NR for high ISO as well) to filter out noise. Here for the Dark Frame Subtraction, what the camera need to do is to take another photo with the same amount of time and then do a subtraction afterwards, pixel by pixel, so as to "remove" hot pixels (actually all picture data in those pixels are removed altogether).

Just say if you shoot fireworks. For a picture taken with 5 seconds. Then, you will need another 5 seconds for the camera to close the shutter and then take another picture and then finally do the calculation (subtraction). So, depending on the amount of processing time required, the total time required to take a picture should be at least 10 seconds or more. My *ist D took a very long time to do the processing where as the processing time for my 5D is neglectible. But anyway, in short, whilst the time for shooting is only 5 seconds, there is at least 5 more seconds to wait, in this case.

Whether this Dark Frame Subtraction NR waiting time cause problem to the user is solely dependent on what the user need, think and want (or don't want). If there is an option to turn it off, time will be saved but hot pixels would appear. Take your example question for shooting fireworks, this would cause problem if you want to shoot non-stop. Otherwise, just wait for a few seconds.

Here is a "recent" example work of mine. Just view the EXIF tags for more info if interested and I hope you like it!



Last but not least, I hope you and your family well. Take care. :-)

Great shot RH....Bravo! Really!

Whew...Finally!

Thanks RH.

Ben

06-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 248
good shot

Hi Rice.You could save yourself alot of typing,That pic says alot no need for text.As they say a picture says a 1,000 words.Truth is i dont understand all the technical stuff,im just into taking pictures,i rekon you get your point across better by posting images,well done gr8 shot.
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Re: Samsung Neon Ad

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanp Quote
Nice. Is it just coincidence that right in the centre of the picture is Samsung sign ?
Nope. I shot it intentionally! ;-D (kidding)

Oh, Samsung is everywhere! (but not Pentax :-()
06-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,226
Nice image RiceHigh! Love night shots. This one is beautiful. Well done.
Saw a listing of companies that measured their name recognition world wide. Samsung is now rated higher than Sony! Wow, thats moving up fast. Coke was #1.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #27
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
Yeah Yeah Sxmsxng.....

One of my fans work in their electronic development department and he is now quite senior.....with a private slogan still hanging on the mouth among their engineer peer group..

"Sxmsxng products work fine = pig can clamp up the tree"

You see, not perfect.

Yeah. There are always different point of views between artist, passionist, analyst, reporter, journalist and practitioner. Normal then normal. See See. I am skillful to play with my inexpensive Kodak Z712 IS (P&S). I can produce great macro shot with this small DC to approach the DSLR's effect.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-27-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo ar
06-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Nice shot. What bug is it? Where did you find it?

QuoteOriginally posted by ckanthon Quote
Yeah Yeah Sxmsxng.....

One of my fans work in their electronic development department and he is now quite senior.....with a private slogan still hanging on the mouth among their engineer peer group..

"Sxmsxng products work fine = pig can clamp up the tree"

You see, not perfect.

Yeah. There are always different point of views between artist, passionist, analyst, journalist and practitioner. Normal then normal. See See. I am skillful on my inexpensive Kodak Z712 IS (P&S). I can produce great macro shot with this small DC approaching DSLR effect.
06-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member
Mechan1k's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,883
QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
Hi Rice.You could save yourself alot of typing,That pic says alot no need for text.As they say a picture says a 1,000 words.Truth is i dont understand all the technical stuff,im just into taking pictures,i rekon you get your point across better by posting images,well done gr8 shot.
Mate ... probably the best answer that anyone has given him in a long time.
06-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Nice shot. What bug is it? Where did you find it?
Actually, I am not sure what kind of small insect it is. I bring my camera with me in the morning and on the ground floor of my building apartment I saw it. Hoped that Darwin can tell what it is

I enjoy finding bugs.

Last edited by ckanthon; 06-28-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: as always
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k20d, photography, quality
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ahem.. K20D review on DPR ftpaddict Pentax News and Rumors 72 07-16-2008 07:46 AM
K20D preview now available at DPR WaterDog Pentax News and Rumors 18 06-21-2008 07:36 AM
Giottos MTL9351B lightweight tripod - Highly Recommended ! Confused Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 06-14-2008 06:16 AM
K20D review @ ePhotoZine: Highly recommended AnoLife Pentax News and Rumors 17 02-04-2008 11:36 AM
First REAL review of K10....highly recommended! slip Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 12-07-2006 10:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top