Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Can anyone give me a viable reason why the Pentax K-50 has Bleach Bypass and Cross-Processing as an option in the Custom Images? Is it just a gimmick, much like "Toy Camera," and the like.... or am I totally in the dark?
Probably because the K-50 is marketed as a consumer-grade camera and those gimmick features are expected for that market segment.

The larger question might be, "Why do the K-3, K-3II, and 645Z(!) have custom image mode?".

Steve

11-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
It's not something I would use. But my guess is, there are people who enjoy taking photos without all of the hassle of post processing. Having that capability in your camera is not a bad thing.
11-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have used the bleach bypass in PP on a few occasions. These special effects have their place but I don't particularly like them in my camera. Now for my bleach bypass filter story:

My youngest daughter likes these kind of effects. I was discussing doing some wedding photos prints with her when I proceeded to show her some examples using the in camera filters and some shots I had on my card. She liked the bleach bypass look. In the middle of this, the cell phone went off and interrupted us and we both went on our way. I also had the bleach bypass filter turned on in my K5. The following day, I shot over 1000 photos of dirt track motorcycle races at our local speedway. Dirt racing is a little monochrome looking anyhow and it was a bright sunny day and the LCD wasn't too easy to see. When I got home, I had 1000+ bleach bypass motorcycle racing shots. It was a fixable error but added to the already time consuming process of of editing that many photos. I will NEVER go near the filter menu in my camera again!

That said, it is expected for modern DSLR's to have all these filters and modes built into our cameras, otherwise the reviewers will slam them as "lacking essential features". My opinion? They're about as useful as tits on a bull!
11-15-2015, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Yo
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
They're about as useful as tits on a bull!
Reef....you know, I'm about as artistic as those tits on a bull...I just "don't get it" most of the time when it comes to fine art. However, every so often I see work that is outstanding, and photo processing using filters that are also outstanding...so I never say never. I have a lot of software with filtering programs, some can produce interesting results. They are fun to play with on a rainy day, so I don't consider them worthless.

I was playing with this one on a rainy a day and trying some high-key actions....I'm kinda glad I did!

OTOH- I am no "Art Critic" like Otis Squirrel..I see naked girls over on Post Your Photos ...and that's what I see...naked girls! Otis, being the fine art critic he is studies them for hours...or longer...and sees "Fine Art". So it is all in the eye of the beholder...or in his case the eye of the squirrel!

Regards!

11-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yo
Reef....you know, I'm about as artistic as those tits on a bull...I just "don't get it" most of the time when it comes to fine art. However, every so often I see work that is outstanding, and photo processing using filters that are also outstanding...so I never say never. I have a lot of software with filtering programs, some can produce interesting results. They are fun to play with on a rainy day, so I don't consider them worthless.

I was playing with this one on a rainy a day and trying some high-key actions....I'm kinda glad I did!

OTOH- I am no "Art Critic" like Otis Squirrel..I see naked girls over on Post Your Photos ...and that's what I see...naked girls! Otis, being the fine art critic he is studies them for hours...or longer...and sees "Fine Art". So it is all in the eye of the beholder...or in his case the eye of the squirrel!

Regards!
Oh, I do use them on occasion, as I mentioned in the beginning of my post. I just don't use the "in camera" filters. I have used the built in Lightroom filters and I have On One Perfect Effects. I on occasion use them use them in PP and they can be very useful for rescuing some badly exposed shots sometimes. Nice look with that portrait BTW!
11-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Maybe instead we should just post which custom image modes we enjoy using.
In-camera I enjoy black and white (you can press Info on the BW jpeg mode, and edit the actual BW mode; you can make it cooler or warmer, add sharpening, etc.) and Reversal film (makes colours nice and deep, usually without making them appear oddly saturated). I switch to Natural when I shoot raw and Expose To The Right, though.
11-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Nice look with that portrait BTW!
Thanks Reef.....I don't use filters often, but they do give some rainy day fun. I guess we all have a little different taste in what we do or don't like. Some shooters are more serious minded and avoid anything "synthetic", others like to experiment , and then there are others like Otis that just like to critique the work of others...in certain areas.

Regards!
11-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Great discussion.

I like black and white, sepia, super color saturation, fisheye effect, flare, multiple exposure, and other photo effects, but only when I like the picture that came from them. As Murfy pointed out "a lot of misses and a very few hits" for me with almost all of these things. But I guess that is pretty much the case for all of my photography.

Neither bleach bypass or cross processing are new ideas in the world of photography. I have never tried either one, but knowing that they are now available at the push of a button means I will probably give it a try. Gotta love this age of technology...

IMHO I wouldn't call any of these things "gimmicks", just "features". If you like it, use it if not, don't. Very few of us are ever going to use all of the capability in modern cameras. The camera designer is trying to appeal to a wide variety of users and why not, the capacity is certainly there.

If the question is aimed at in-camera vs. post processing, my guess is you will get a good debate on that. I am more in the camp of getting a finished or "near" finished product out of the camera. (But yes I do love PS anyway). And I know others that are on the far other side of that debate. At the end of the day does it really matter?

11-15-2015, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the discussion is really part of that age old discussion about "what is art?"

It simply seems to me that every mode, PP effect etc is simply part of our toolkit. Also, BTW, it's fun.

I don't own my cameras and lenses just so I can talk about my hardware (although I enjoy the discussion) but what can I create, have fun with and share. I don't really care if you like it but glad if you do. Trey Ratcliff (one of my faves) has a great discussion about this. Lots of folks hate his use of HDR in his photos. I, however, do and love his photos. He makes it very clear that this is his process and he's not bothered by your dislike but is happy if you do as what he creates is his gift. If you don't want it, that's cool.
Anyhow, here is a photo that I like (you can think it sucks. That's OK) but I surely prefer the second one with all those annoying filters.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by eddaytona; 11-15-2015 at 10:28 PM.
11-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #25

The cross processing function just seems to give poorly colored images in my opinion. Bleach bypass however, I think gives better "old camera" looking images than the retro filter does so, I actually have it as part of a custom configuration when I am trying to take 1940's thru '60's looking images.
11-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
The cross processing function just seems to give poorly colored images in my opinion. Bleach bypass however, I think gives better "old camera" looking images than the retro filter does so, I actually have it as part of a custom configuration when I am trying to take 1940's thru '60's looking images.
1940's thru '60's E-6 slides and most prints perhaps, but my Kodachromes still look like they haven't faded a bit. And I have Cibachrome/Ilfochrome prints from the 80's that look brand new.
11-24-2015, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Every so often I get a bug in my butt to just shoot with the presets.

With cross processing I tend to not even bth properly composing, I'll just point the camera in the general direction of a subject and snap. If I feel generous I might correct a horizon line, but usually don't bother. I've found that the cross process works for shots that would be utterly mundane if they had their colors true to life. I'll usually go random, which makes its a complete crap shoot as for the end results.

My other favorite is the black and white faux-IR mode. I haven't found a quick and easy method to reproduce it in post, so generally just roll with the in camera JPGs. I absolutely love how blue skies (especially cloud streaked blue skies) come out with that method.

I think part of the reason is it really does tend to give a different perspective of sorts on how you shoot.

Here are some examples over the years (I haven't done the cross processing thing in a long while). One key thing for me is to shoot them as RAW+JPGS just in case the in camera shot is awful but you still have a workable image to use with the RAW file.

As far as that faux-IR goes...

---------- Post added 11-24-15 at 05:48 AM ----------

Double posting, but this thread just made me realize in-camera random cross-processed HDR shots are an actual thing you can do. I may have some experimeting in the near future.
11-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Can anyone give me a viable reason why the Pentax K-50 has Bleach Bypass and Cross-Processing as an option in the Custom Images? Is it just a gimmick, much like "Toy Camera," and the like.... or am I totally in the dark?
Dewman, my friend. You must have been feeling really grouchy when you wrote that

I actually happen to use the cross processing preset in my software. I think I've only used bleach bypass once, not a big fan of it. But does it bother me that it's there? Why would it, seriously? Why would something bother you just for being there?

But what if we took a survey and got rid of all the features that *someone* doesn't like, we would probably end up with a K1000 (possibly without the meter!). And nobody would buy it and Pentax would go out of business.
11-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Dewman, my friend. You must have been feeling really grouchy when you wrote that

I actually happen to use the cross processing preset in my software. I think I've only used bleach bypass once, not a big fan of it. But does it bother me that it's there? Why would it, seriously? Why would something bother you just for being there?

But what if we took a survey and got rid of all the features that *someone* doesn't like, we would probably end up with a K1000 (possibly without the meter!). And nobody would buy it and Pentax would go out of business.

LOL..... No, not at all. Sometimes, my words on paper do not in the least reflect my mood or my thoughts. It was merely an honest question. I have tried that particular setting a couple of times on my K-50 and couldn't see any purpose for it. Um..... let me clarify that. I couldn't see any purpose that I PERSONALLY could ever use. So, no.... I was not grouchy at all. Sorry if I came across that way. It was an honest question, but the words I chose seemed to have really irked some folks. I guess maybe I'm just too much of a traditionalist and still stuck too much in the olden days of Plus-X, red lights and hypo! Please be aware, even though I'm 70 years old, and have been a photographer (????) since I attended the US Navy Photographer's Mate "A" school in 1964, I'm still wandering around in this digital world like a blind man! I didn't get my first DSLR (a K2000) until about 3 years ago and knew absolutely NOTHING about digital photography or a single thing about editing! I had been disconnected from the photography world for several decades and after retirement, decided to get back onto it. Boy, was I ever in for a shock! Luckily, I got hooked up with the Pentax Forum early on and through countless questions.... many that brought the wrath of God down on me!.... I've progressed to the point that I can manage a meager photo now and then.
11-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian

LOL..... No, not at all. Sometimes, my words on paper do not in the least reflect my mood or my thoughts. It was merely an honest question. I have tried that particular setting a couple of times on my K-50 and couldn't see any purpose for it. Um..... let me clarify that. I couldn't see any purpose that I PERSONALLY could ever use. So, no.... I was not grouchy at all. Sorry if I came across that way. It was an honest question, but the words I chose seemed to have really irked some folks. I guess maybe I'm just too much of a traditionalist and still stuck too much in the olden days of Plus-X, red lights and hypo! Please be aware, even though I'm 70 years old, and have been a photographer (????) since I attended the US Navy Photographer's Mate "A" school in 1964, I'm still wandering around in this digital world like a blind man! I didn't get my first DSLR (a K2000) until about 3 years ago and knew absolutely NOTHING about digital photography or a single thing about editing! I had been disconnected from the photography world for several decades and after retirement, decided to get back onto it. Boy, was I ever in for a shock! Luckily, I got hooked up with the Pentax Forum early on and through countless questions.... many that brought the wrath of God down on me!.... I've progressed to the point that I can manage a meager photo now and then.
Oh I meant that in a tongue in cheek kinda way.

My K20D has some presets (black and white, sepia) but to be honest I'm never in that menu so I had to go look because I didn't remember what they were

My K-r has them also. But I never go in there. In fact I'm hardly ever using menus, if the body doesn't have a button for it, I won't touch it while I'm shooting, with the possible exception of using RAW instead of JPEG in the K-r (the K20D is always set to RAW, as it's *my* camera and the K-r is technically the wife's).

I think Pentax has these settings pretty much "out of the way" of every day shooting so it's easy for me to even forget they are there... which is why I can't understand why people would feel bothered that the camera offers these options.

As with everything else in life, focus on what is good and enjoy life