Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bleach bypass and Cross-processing. Why?

Can anyone give me a viable reason why the Pentax K-50 has Bleach Bypass and Cross-Processing as an option in the Custom Images? Is it just a gimmick, much like "Toy Camera," and the like.... or am I totally in the dark?

11-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not?
It's a JPEG processing style, not a filter, so I'm not sure where else it would be.
11-11-2015, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Is it just a gimmick, much like "Toy Camera," and the like.... or am I totally in the dark?
Why is Instagram so popular? And why are there so many other apps and filters mimicking it, trying to cash in on the same silly styles?
And why the hell is lomography so popular!

The shallow answer is ultimately simple - a segment of the market enjoys certain styles, and it makes sense for a photo company to try to cater to it. The deeper answer, why do people like miscoloured, softened, overexposed jpegs.. well, I guess nobody can say for certain. It has to do with hiding imperfections, giving room for fantasy, and adding a (fake) feeling of nostalgia, authenticity.
11-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Why not?
It's a JPEG processing style, not a filter, so I'm not sure where else it would be.

I think you've totally and completely missed the essence of the question.

11-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

To me this seems like asking "Why does my camera have the ability to produce black and white jpegs? Why would anyone want to leave out the colors?"

The cross-processing and bleach bypass is fun and can have its place (I like to use it for quick satisfaction, shooting RAW+ and turning the bleach bypass from really high to low key, which gives it a more interesting look in my eyes). People take bad, boring and uninspired, dead digital pictures with "true" color reproduction, everything within the histogram, everything sharp from edge to edge and from foreground to background and think of it as the pinnacle of photography.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to take uninspired, bad photos with poppy or bleached out colors, too?

It all comes down to taste.

Last edited by Arvid; 11-11-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: I just realized that I had "fun" and "gimmicky" in every sentence. Guess I am tired or my brain can't handle the false colors
11-11-2015, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Why is Instagram so popular? And why are there so many other apps and filters mimicking it, trying to cash in on the same silly styles?

The shallow answer is ultimately simple - a segment of the market enjoys certain styles, and it makes sense for a photo company to try to cater to it. The deeper answer, why do people like miscoloured, softened, overexposed jpegs.. well, I guess nobody can say for certain. It has to do with hiding imperfections, giving room for fantasy, and adding a (fake) feeling of nostalgia, authenticity.
Instagram is popular for the same reasons as Social Media and Photography. Every pre-teen and teen is empowered with a voice and identity (and a cell phone) that they can share text, photos, and video with friends and strangers.

They may have grown up looking at the aesthetic of fading color prints, slides, and polaroids, and although some of us still shoot film, most households do not. So there is a retro coolness that has more expression and style than a clean, cold, straight digital image.

Personally, I'm not into Instagram, but someone else posted one of my photos and within a day it got nearly 400 likes. I had never had that kind of 'exposure' before and the positive reinforcement, especially for youth, must be huge.

Why Lomography? I teach both a digital course that requires high school students to provide their own DSLR and a film course that requires an FSLR. Most parents are not willing to invest in either repairing their old FSLR or buy a used or new one because they do not understand the value of it. (They will invest hundreds, however, to upgrade a DSLR). So an uber cheap plastic FILM camera, that a student can afford on minimum wage, that they don't have to worry about losing or breaking, is not only affordable, but is a hip almost counter-cultural low tech statement. It also has the charm in its imperfection and the digital generation is reconnected to art, where the image is more of a discovery and reliant on the photographer, not the technology where the jpeg is engineered to create the magic. My first medium format was the Yashica Mat TLR, but for around $60 you can get a new 120 film interchangeable lens Lomography camera.

In my high school curriculum, coming from the old school, I think students should take B&W Film in a darkroom before advancing to Color Digital with Lightroom. But if I enforced that, I would reduce my enrollment and lose a majority of students. Instead, most students enter class with Mom or Dad's DSLR, and then the advanced ones become curious and want to learn about the darkroom and what is this thing called film. They are color natives, so to them, black and white is special and magic.

We live in a golden age of photography and video and I think it's awesome that there are so many options, styles, and means of exhibiting and sharing publicly and privately. And although Apple sells more 'cameras' than anyone else, I appreciate that there is enough diversity of needs and styles that we don't live in a world without film, digital, crop and full frame sensors, pinhole and large format, and even toy cameras that work and are taken seriously.
11-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think you've totally and completely missed the essence of the question.
Nope, I just got it out of the way in the first line.
11-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I used to cross process film, I guess people want to emulate it with digital. I have never used it in camera, but I might now, just because it is there, I just keep forgetting about it. It's pretty cheap to add it. I think art is a gimmick anyway, so why not embrace it fully?

11-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I used to cross process film, I guess people want to emulate it with digital. I have never used it in camera, but I might now, just because it is there, I just keep forgetting about it. It's pretty cheap to add it. I think art is a gimmick anyway, so why not embrace it fully?
I don't understand your statement: "I think art is a gimmick anyway, so why not embrace it fully?" Are you being sarcastic or do you really believe art is a gimmick? And if so, why would you fully embrace a gimmick? Sorry if I'm taking you seriously and it wasn't intended to be. But if you meant what you wrote, I'd really love to better understand your perspective.
11-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I don't understand your statement: "I think art is a gimmick anyway, so why not embrace it fully?" Are you being sarcastic or do you really believe art is a gimmick? And if so, why would you fully embrace a gimmick? Sorry if I'm taking you seriously and it wasn't intended to be. But if you meant what you wrote, I'd really love to better understand your perspective.
maybe it is sarcastic, but not really, lol, this is my perspective after getting my art degree. The definition of gimmick is device to attract attention, something that stands out. Art attracts attention, I mean why do artists show thier art? They want attention.

Artists create art to attract attention to a situation, a cause, to their point of view, many reasons, it is a forced perspective of things the way the artist sees it. That is the gimmick. Are people saying that cross processing or bleach by pass has no place in photography because it is a 'gimmick'? or is it put in the camera to sell more cameras or to trick people? its just another way to express a point of view, photographers cross processed film to create a look to further a mood. Its like calling black and white film a gimmick, when using it might project a mood to a scene that wasnt quite there.

I can also think of a few artists offhand whose art is a gimmick. Richard Prince off the top of my head. Pop art, Warhol, etc was considered a gimmick.

sorry for typos but I am on this kindle and its very hard to correct typos with it. But this is probably a more in depth conversation than the op wanted, lol.

I guess my point is, try it, you may like it, but I dont think it was put there for any purpose other than it can be done, and its anotjer option in a way to express your point of view
11-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Can anyone give me a viable reason why the Pentax K-50 has Bleach Bypass and Cross-Processing as an option in the Custom Images? Is it just a gimmick, much like "Toy Camera," and the like.... or am I totally in the dark?

I don't know about cross-processing, but "bleach bypass" - to varying degrees - has been somewhat popular over the last few years, even before the popularity of Instagram. It was used quite a bit in the movie Saving Private Ryan, and I think it does well with stark, grungy subject matter. But like many popular things, it gets overdone and becomes a toothless gimmick.
11-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
maybe it is sarcastic, but not really, lol, this is my perspective after getting my art degree. The definition of gimmick is device to attract attention, something that stands out. Art attracts attention, I mean why do artists show thier art? They want attention.

Artists create art to attract attention to a situation, a cause, to their point of view, many reasons, it is a forced perspective of things the way the artist sees it. That is the gimmick. Are people saying that cross processing or bleach by pass has no place in photography because it is a 'gimmick'? or is it put in the camera to sell more cameras or to trick people? its just another way to express a point of view, photographers cross processed film to create a look to further a mood. Its like calling black and white film a gimmick, when using it might project a mood to a scene that wasnt quite there.

I can also think of a few artists offhand whose art is a gimmick. Richard Prince off the top of my head. Pop art, Warhol, etc was considered a gimmick.

sorry for typos but I am on this kindle and its very hard to correct typos with it. But this is probably a more in depth conversation than the op wanted, lol.

I guess my point is, try it, you may like it, but I dont think it was put there for any purpose other than it can be done, and its anotjer option in a way to express your point of view
Thanks for the explanation. I understand and it makes sense. I can't say, however, that I became an artist, and then an art educator to get attention. For a vast majority in the U.S., becoming an artist is a sure fire way to become marginalized unless you're a commercial artist. Yes, I agree art is made to be seen and shared, but for myself, I found it a "calling". I didn't do it for attention, but rather because I had to do it.

When I was working commercially for a client, it was more of a craft because I was performing more of a technical skill for their needs. But as an artist, the only person I am really trying to satisfy is myself and even if no one recognizes or appreciates or even sees my work, I am frustrated if it is unsatisfactory to me and I am elated and fulfilled if I know I hit the target.

I guess I have a "hang up" on the word 'gimmick'. There is something insincere, unauthentic, disingenuous if I think of it as a gimmick. Have I engaged and used fads and trends like Polaroids and HDR that many consider a gimmick to "real photography or art"? Yes. But even then, regardless of the media or technique, I've always thought about art as not creating things, as much as making meaning. I'd love to know what others think of, for the lack of a better term, alternate processes and if and why what you create is in any way, shape, or form, what you think art is about?
11-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

I totally agree, bleach bypass can have certain fashion uses but they are rare IMO, but needs to be done in post not in camera.
11-12-2015, 02:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I totally agree, bleach bypass can have certain fashion uses but they are rare IMO, but needs to be done in post not in camera.
I think I'm more with Arvid on this. The funky colour options are good, lighthearted spontaneous fun. It's like throwing paint on the canvas instead of meticulously applying it with brushes.

There's an element of chance and unpredictability that won't work everytime and for every scene, but it can still be fun and inspiring.
Just like you fit a prime for a day, or load a roll of monochrome film for a day, you can choose a cross processing style for a day
and hunt for pictures that work with that preset. For fun.

I think it comes down to whether you do photography for the "fun" or to "get results".

This was taken on cross processing preset 2. It only works beacuse the scene palette and cross processing style match.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Thanks for the explanation. I understand and it makes sense. I can't say, however, that I became an artist, and then an art educator to get attention. For a vast majority in the U.S., becoming an artist is a sure fire way to become marginalized unless you're a commercial artist. Yes, I agree art is made to be seen and shared, but for myself, I found it a "calling". I didn't do it for attention, but rather because I had to do it.

When I was working commercially for a client, it was more of a craft because I was performing more of a technical skill for their needs. But as an artist, the only person I am really trying to satisfy is myself and even if no one recognizes or appreciates or even sees my work, I am frustrated if it is unsatisfactory to me and I am elated and fulfilled if I know I hit the target.

I guess I have a "hang up" on the word 'gimmick'. There is something insincere, unauthentic, disingenuous if I think of it as a gimmick. Have I engaged and used fads and trends like Polaroids and HDR that many consider a gimmick to "real photography or art"? Yes. But even then, regardless of the media or technique, I've always thought about art as not creating things, as much as making meaning. I'd love to know what others think of, for the lack of a better term, alternate processes and if and why what you create is in any way, shape, or form, what you think art is about?
I dont really see gimmick as a such a negative word. I think trying a new technique even if trendy to learn the technical aspect and process and exploring when it is best used and then applying it to a work at the right time is all part of the learning process. I did the polariod transfers on paper when that came around, and then tried the sepia toning of every print I made and the matte look more recently with digital, and the vsco presets. A lot of misses and a very few hits, but I learned a lot while doing the process. Honestly I prefer to see more people experimenting with the cross processing and crazy harsh colors and less of the matte, soft, washed out colors that seem to be so popular now.