Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Just so we're clear, camera image settings

i am to understand that none of the in camera settings designed to play around with colour, sharpness, contrast, noise control, hue, etc etc etc have an impact on the information contained in the RAW file, only on the derivative JPEG.

having said that, ALL of those settings do have a direct impact on the HISTOGRAM that is derived in camera for review purposes. (since the histogram works off the JPEG)

correct?

06-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those settings are applied to the preview jpeg that is embedded in the RAW file. That is what you are seeing on the camera display.

Also, depending on the RAW processor you use, some of them can read those settings and apply them by default. The settings are stored in the RAW file, but they are changeable.
06-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I can't see saturation, contrast, or brightness making a noticable change to the histogram. +/-EV definitely would, but that's also affecting the RAW file.
06-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

only noise reduction affects raws. i turn it off, it's better handled by higher quality software on a pc.

06-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
I can't see saturation, contrast, or brightness making a noticable change to the histogram. +/-EV definitely would, but that's also affecting the RAW file.
open up lightroom (or whatever) and pick an image, crank the contrast all the way to one side and watch the histogram.

in an article i posted not to long ago here from one of the digitialphotopro magize writers they made a point that the in camera histogram has a tendency to misinterpret the actual data contained in the RAW file, particulary with respect to blown out highlights.

the camera says you have blowout but in reality you dont (assuming you fix this in a 3rd party program)
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
only noise reduction affects raws. i turn it off, it's better handled by higher quality software on a pc.
thats what i have been hoping for all along, but just for my own interest do you know any sources that explicetly state that it does affect the base RAW image?
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i can't link you to anything with all the technical data. from experience, it modifies the curve and tries to correct the chroma noise a little too much for my taste.

basically gives you a light blur.