Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

Reg owning a Pentax K-50 in India

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and so excited to see many threads.

I am planning to buy K50 from US through my friends. Since in India compared to US the price difference is huge. I did not understand why..

It looks like a quite a good value for money considering the same price range from Nikon and Canon's.

But my suspicion is if anything goes wrong how about service and all. How much turn around time will it take and how about the service cost? I live in Bangalore.

That's the only thing bothering me..

Thanks,
Nanda

11-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

I've had my K-50 for over a year now, it's worked flawlessly.

I haven't needed to send it in for service and hopefully won't ever need to.
11-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that by the time something goes wrong you will have over 30-40k shutter clicks on the body and you will have upgraded to another body.

Enjoy the K-50!
11-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think that by the time something goes wrong you will have over 30-40k shutter clicks on the body and you will have upgraded to another body.

Enjoy the K-50!
QuoteOriginally posted by Nandakumar1712 Quote
planning to buy K50 from US through my friends. Since in In
Fantastic Photos.

11-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I want to see anybody from India owning Pentax responding as well. This would also give me some more confidence.

Still nobody from India responded :-(

Last edited by Nandakumar1712; 11-16-2015 at 11:23 PM.
11-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imagine you are driving a Ferrari on the Himalayan roads somewhere in Leh. You have the best car in a radius of 500 kilometers. Other drivers envy you. Your car tames the most challenging curves and steep inclines with utmost ease.

Then, you see smoke coming out of the hood and realize that Ferrari's nearest service station is in Delhi, 1000 km to the south. "I should've brought my Maruti Gypsy", you say to yourself.

-------------------

I bought two Pentax k-x units with 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses in 2010 from the US and have been using them in India since then (one of them being used by my cousin). Luckily, both worked flawlessly for about 4 years and we were the happiest customers, ever.

Then in early 2014, they developed snags - my camera stopped auto-focusing and my cousin's camera had an issue with jog dial. We took them to a camera service expert in Chandni Chowk, Delhi as I could not find any Pentax authorized service center at that time. I still remember the first lines he said after seeing two Pentaxes - "Great cameras, but we get no spare parts in India. I cannot guarantee I can fix them. We send back 90% Pentax owners disappointed". Fortunately, he was able to fix both units, although he admitted using some 'jugaad' (makeshift arrangement) to re-create the jog dial gears on my cousin's camera.

We were happy again, our cameras were as good as new, and we continued clicking some more great photos.

Now, when I am seeing some back-focusing issues with my camera with a new 50 mm prime, I am in a dilemma whether to take it to the same person or send (!!) it to Ricoh's only service center in Mumbai. I may risk the former.

So my point is this. If you are lucky, your Pentax will serve you for years. You may even upgrade before it shows ageing problems. BUT, suppose you bump it somewhere by mistake, or drop it, or some water gets in, or condensation, or by sheer bad luck it develops a problem, you will be at mercy of Mumbai service center or a local repairman. The gamble paid off for me and my cousin. You may want to try your luck.

Or may be not.
11-24-2015, 03:52 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nandakumar1712 Quote
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and so excited to see many threads.

I am planning to buy K50 from US through my friends. Since in India compared to US the price difference is huge. I did not understand why..

It looks like a quite a good value for money considering the same price range from Nikon and Canon's.

But my suspicion is if anything goes wrong how about service and all. How much turn around time will it take and how about the service cost? I live in Bangalore.

That's the only thing bothering me..

Thanks,
Nanda
Hello Nandakumar,
I've been using a Pentax K-50 from close to more than a year.(newbie to a DSLR) I got mine from Japan with the 18-55 WR kit lens and later bought the tammy 18-200, I also got a 50mm prime from amazon at a very great price. no hassles till now (touch wood). Photos come out awesome (even at ISO3200). but the nagging fear / doubt of service / repair is always there. The camera feels rock solid and the build quality much better and slightly heavier when compared to the Nikon D5300 which my colleague has.
I stay in Bangalore as well.

01-08-2016, 04:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
Finally, I just received the Pentax K50 recently. Quite excited to take good photos :-)