Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Dropped my K30 - will only autofocus in live view

Last night while attempting to set my K30 up on a tripod while holding my 10 month old son in the other hand, the tripod tipped over and landed right on the camera.

I've tried multiple lenses and have the same problem with all of them - the camera won't autofocus when looking through the viewfinder (it hunts out to infinity and back and then the shutter won't fire), but it will in live view.

I've looked at some other threads and it sounds like it could be a broken AF module. Could it possibly be something else? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm guessing this isn't something that could be or is worth getting fixed, right?

I've kind of wanted to upgrade to a KS2 or K3, but not just yet.

11-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair is the link to Ricoh's repair vendor, they'll quote $206.50 for any repair on a K-30 and you pay the shipping one way. Then if it's more they'll contact you for more. Given the K50 can be had body only for $295 there's a good chance a Black Friday deal would make more sense than the repair. Keep in mind, the aperature control block issue is out there too. Just started on my K30, so I'm looking for a BFD on a K3.
11-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt the K-50 will go any lower than $290, but after rewards and shipping it would probably be better just to grab the new body. Sorry to hear about the K-30!

The K-3 would be a pretty big upgrade if you wanted to go in that direction too. I'd also recommend the K-S2 as long as you can live with its significantly smaller grip (even compared to the K-30 and K-50).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I doubt the K-50 will go any lower than $290, but after rewards and shipping it would probably be better just to grab the new body. Sorry to hear about the K-30!

The K-3 would be a pretty big upgrade if you wanted to go in that direction too. I'd also recommend the K-S2 as long as you can live with its significantly smaller grip (even compared to the K-30 and K-50).
Basically you recommend every Pentax camera? :P

Given the situation, I'd wait until BF and just see what prices are like.. I would not want to ship anything to Precision unless I absolutely had to... and prices for the K-50 might be in line with the repair cost as mentioned by missile. Plus you can sell your K-30 for parts..

11-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Adam's never given bad advice (especially today ! Good thought on parting out the K-30 mee, hadn't thought of that. Although at least I can cannibalize the katseye (and maybe the diopter -anybody confirm or deny that??) for the K3 upgrade Adam just convinced me to pop for.
11-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer...

or... replace the K-30, but keep it as your manual-lens-only body....
11-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Actually, I may do that myself. Got one of DCShooter's masterpieces that looks and shoots like magic on that blue K-30.
11-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer...

QuoteOriginally posted by missile Quote
Actually, I may do that myself. Got one of DCShooter's masterpieces that looks and shoots like magic on that blue K-30.

do what/which... several options were given....

11-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Given the situation, I'd wait until BF and just see what prices are like.. I would not want to ship anything to Precision unless I absolutely had to... and prices for the K-50 might be in line with the repair cost as mentioned by missile. Plus you can sell your K-30 for parts..

Thanks for the advise, guys.

Have any of you had any experience selling a damaged camera for parts? What kind of price could I reasonably expect?

I was also thinking about waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and hopefully finding a good deal on an upgrade. What kind of discounts have you guys seen in the past and what stores have the best?
11-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

Better the camera than your son!

Beyond that I have nothing to add. I'd love to upgrade to the K3 or even the KS2 myself, but I'm a broke grad student (and photography is purely a hobby).
01-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

sold my k-30 for $101! thought I would only get like $25 for it.

loving my k-3. thanks for the advice, all!