Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Interesting insight on Hoya/Pentax merger - BJP Magazine

Hi all

I recently came across an interesting article that appeared in the British Journal of Photography - 23 January 2008. Here is a small excerpt from it:

QuoteQuote:
However, in an interview with BJP, Onada revealed just how close Pentax had come to launching the 645 AFD. ‘Before the Hoya deal went through we were actually quite ready. We were very much prepared for a launch. But one of the key issues was with distribution. You need huge resources to launch across many countries.’
He was equally reluctant to say when Pentax might introduce a pro-level DSLR, saying it didn’t have the ‘resources or the desire’ to compete with Canon and Nikon at this point. However, he did say that Pentax’ eventual ambition is to have three levels of camera, with one a higher-end model.
The same applies to high-end lenses. ‘Once we have enough resources, we can concentrate on development,’ says Onada. ‘I thought Hoya might invest separately, but no one is going to give you money for no reason.
QuoteQuote:
Hoya is unique in that’s it is extremely profitable.
But there’s a reason for that. Working with them these past months,
QuoteQuote:
I have learnt that they never lose money
– and that’s a very strong philosophy. In the past, management would often say, “If you have the guts and commitment, go and do it”. Hoya takes a longer view.’
Best regards
Richard

06-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A 645 AFD would have been killer. Way out of my price range, but killer none the less!