Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is definitely one published opinion.... but, I take all such opinions with a grain of salt. It's good to see someone not afraid to give Pentax a look. So many use them as an after thought.

11-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #17

Interesting that the 70D II is below the 750D and 760D. The flaw is the rating system which averages out of 5 stars weighted evenly for Features, Handling, Performance, and Value for Money. IMHO any rating system should not incorporate value ratio into the overall rating. Of course the high end tech will cost more per feature, but you still get the best, so let us decide on the dollar and just tell us the tech ratings.

If you rated cars on dollar / horsepower I'm sure you would end up concluding that an Aveo or Versa ranks higher than a Corvette or Ferrarri, but the professionals behind the Indy 500 would never use an Aveo for their pace car!

All that said, it's nice to see the K-3II earned 5/5 stars in each category when they reviewed it!
11-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A very odd list. Understanding that this is APS-C cameras only, it is weird to put he 7D MK II at the bottom with cameras like the D3300 and D5500 above it -- particularly considering that both of those cameras are just slight refreshes of the D5300 and D3200 respectively. I'm not up to date on everything Nikon, but not sure why you would get these cameras versus the slightly cheaper versions from last year. Certainly if I were making the list I would have put the 7D MK II, D7200 and K3 II at the top in some order -- probably D7200 number one based on its sensor followed by the K3 II and the 7D third, but as it is I wouldn't put much stock in this list.
I sold my Canon 7D 1 to get the Pentax K-5IIs and boy am I glad I did. !! The features on the K-5II blew the Canon right out of the water. The Canon 7D 1 was supposed "The ASP-C" camera but it fizzled. I was highly disappointed with it because although it performed adequately, it had a lot of redundant useless features that I did not need. It was heavy and loud, the AF was over-kill and the battery life was horrible especially with flash. The 7D II is a huge improvement I heard, but I do not much about it.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-23-2015 at 11:37 AM.
11-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Interesting that the 70D II is below the 750D and 760D. The flaw is the rating system which averages out of 5 stars weighted evenly for Features, Handling, Performance, and Value for Money. IMHO any rating system should not incorporate value ratio into the overall rating. Of course the high end tech will cost more per feature, but you still get the best, so let us decide on the dollar and just tell us the tech ratings.

If you rated cars on dollar / horsepower I'm sure you would end up concluding that an Aveo or Versa ranks higher than a Corvette or Ferrarri, but the professionals behind the Indy 500 would never use an Aveo for their pace car!

All that said, it's nice to see the K-3II earned 5/5 stars in each category when they reviewed it!
But nobody care of ferarri and corvette. same in these camera rankings we don't just see MF with digital back, 645Z, phaseone and alike. Having the right price is very important. What you say is your prefered way of ranking not necessarily everyone way of viewing things.

11-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For some people, price is the #1 consideration.
11-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I would add that when something is reviewed it is reviewed with some idea of what is good, what is bad, what are the priorities.

The typical review on photozone and lenstip or ephotozine care mostly on sharpness but also on optical aberations (vigneting, CA...). Their flare and bokeh test are somewhat limited when they exist and their published example picture are done with the worth post processing possible. Lenstip even go to use the less sharp possible setting meaning that depending of camera they volontary soften the photos. But mostly theses review are after the perfect lens with no optical issue, fast apperture and corner to corner sharpness. In addition they want good build quality. They can look for price but this doesn't prevent the most expensives lenses to get the best results overall.

When such reviewer review say a high end compact camera, even if selling for 700€ and actual does worse than a 400€ K30 + DA18-135 the high end compact camera get only praise for its high quality pictures and the 18-135 get criticized for it terrible results. They know that you'll not going to get the same from a somewhat big lens on an APSC sensor than you get from an 1" sensor and much smaller lens. But they never say it clearly.

Use reviews really depend of users. Some will rate well a 70-300, some will find issue on a DA*300. But they tend to care more on how the actual picture look like. You'll get the reason of why DA15 is great or why FA43 is interresting. Because no standard review is going to do that. There even the lenses with defect like special bokeh that are discussed.

When you read reviews, tests and alike, it is very important to know what standard the reviewers use and see how near or how far it is to your own standards.
11-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But nobody care of ferarri and corvette. same in these camera rankings we don't just see MF with digital back, 645Z, phaseone and alike. Having the right price is very important. What you say is your prefered way of ranking not necessarily everyone way of viewing things.
And everyone's way of viewing price is different. I agree displaying the price is important to note, but if your list is about the 'Top 10 APS-C DSLR's" then I don't think the editor's value rating based on MSRP should have that much impact on order unless it's a tie. Based on this list you might assume that a 70D II is a lesser camera than a 750D when it's really a better camera, just more expensive. That's why I say give us the technical score and let us decide if the tech value vs MSRP matches our own personal budget. I personally want the best I can afford, so I'd start at the top of the list of most capable and continue downward until I found something in my budget.

To put it differently, in terms of computer processors a Core i5 could rank higher than a Core i7 if the value per dollar is weighted equally to performance, but most people you ask would tell you that a Core i7 should rank higher than an i5 in a list declaring "Top 10 Computer Processors", and they will buy the fastest chip they can afford.
11-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
And everyone's way of viewing price is different. I agree displaying the price is important to note, but if your list is about the 'Top 10 APS-C DSLR's" then I don't think the editor's value rating based on MSRP should have that much impact on order unless it's a tie. Based on this list you might assume that a 70D II is a lesser camera than a 750D when it's really a better camera, just more expensive. That's why I say give us the technical score and let us decide if the tech value vs MSRP matches our own personal budget. I personally want the best I can afford, so I'd start at the top of the list of most capable and continue downward until I found something in my budget.

To put it differently, in terms of computer processors a Core i5 could rank higher than a Core i7 if the value per dollar is weighted equally to performance, but most people you ask would tell you that a Core i7 should rank higher than an i5 in a list declaring "Top 10 Computer Processors", and they will buy the fastest chip they can afford.
Most of the sales are from the end/mid level cameras. And that's not because they can't afford the high end model. That's because they are not interrested. Anyway the entry level of today is sold for less than top model of yesterday.. this as much market segmentation than about actual performance.

11-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
ephotozine publishes reviews of lenses that are not available yet repeating wording you would find in sales brochures. I donīt trust any article published there. There are more trustworthy sites that also value Pentax gear quite high.