Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sorry..I'm not French. I am an Anglo Canadian with an ego...Wait a second...does that exist?
if you add a guilty ego......

02-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
if you add a guilty ego......
Your right..I forgot. A guilty ego...
02-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder why's the ff canon performing so badly with noise in shadow areas.
02-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #94
Forum Member

Found this on an Australian forum

"-5D II meets Dr Pepper - HELP!!!

Hi all,

Had a can of Dr Pepper leak in my bag and the casualty has been my two week old 5D Mark II...

While it doesn't seem like much got on it, the shutter curtain doesn't open and the battery isn't recognised properly. Who knows what else may break.

I'm told that rinsing it with distilled water may help however I don't know where I can easily get some. The alternative is to get this thing to a repair place immediately.

Canon are down the road but I've never had any reasonable success with them and will likely void my warranty even after the repair is complete. Camera Clinic may also be another option but I've never dealt with them before.

Suggestions? "

Only if he brought a k20d!!!!!!

02-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to Michael Reichmann over at Luminous Landscape, no less than 6 of the couple dozen 5D mkii's on his recent Antarctica photo expedition, including his own, died due to the harsh climate conditions.

I thought this new 5D was supposed to be weathersealed?
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
According to Michael Reichmann over at Luminous Landscape, no less than 6 of the couple dozen 5D mkii's on his recent Antarctica photo expedition, including his own, died due to the harsh climate conditions.

I thought this new 5D was supposed to be weathersealed?
Nope, it is not.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Go look there. It shows where seals are and where they aren't. It has some sealing, but nowhere near sufficient for any kind of real abuse. Taking a 5D out in "harsh conditions" is just sheer stupidity.

Now a 1 series, that's a whole different story...
02-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #97

hello,

i must admit i was quite surprised by the title of the thread, i thought it must besome kind of a joke.

after the first few posts, and viewing the pics it really did seem to be one. you can't compare tho cameras by showing two very different pictures.

any kind of camera would have taken near-perfect shots in those lighting conditions. after examining the 1D shot and seeing the amount of noise in the shaddows, at ISO100, i couldn't belive it. i have been taking pictures with various amateur-enthusiat-semi/pro cameras, and i have never seen nasty shaddows like those, at ISO100.
that is what you would probably get with most cameras at iso100, if you were to shoot 1.5 stops under, and then correct the exposure/sharpening in raw.

i remember shooting raw ISO800 in nasty yellow light, 1 stop under, with a 6 mpix camera, and getting that kind of noise in the shaddows.

a professional photographer should be an artist, and a pixel peeper, in order to deliver near-flawless shots.

there is a rule amongst serious studio photographers, which states that you have to properly expose the deepest shaddows, in order to get most of the detail present there, even if you slightly overexpose the highlights, these can be recovered without much trouble, while still keeping detail. the deep shaddows can't.

secondly, you have to know your gear. knowing that the 1D ruins the deep shaddows, as a good-intended photographer, you should consciously light yor subject, in order to insure proper detail and contrast ratios.

thirdly, when i was only a beginner i was given a great semi-pro camera to shoot with, and develop the shots. they turned out quite crappy, even though the camera was great.

now, with the knowledge accumulated, i would take better shots with a 6-7 year-old DSLR.

fourthly, you are comparing different generations of signal processors, sensors, and so forth.

lasltly, you can't compare heavily compressed jpegs, because you would loose most of the sensor's capabilities through compression. 16 bits ? i thought the K20 only has a 14 bit AD converter. maybe i'm wrong..

these are some of my thoughts, that came to mind while reading some posts here, things that should be considered before making statements like "K20 has better IQ, or 1D can't handle the shaddows".

best of luck.

Last edited by nicolaie; 02-04-2009 at 06:09 AM.