Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Maxington: When Ricehigh extends that courtesy to other people, and on his biased blog, then you might have a point. Ricehigh has been proved wrong many times over many many things and does not acknowledge it.

From what I've noticed, anyone that Ben "steps on" is usually well deserving of it. Everyone else who treats him with respect gets respect in return. Did you read the other posts by Ben in this very thread?

And Ben's opinion does count more than Ricehigh. He makes a living in one of the most difficult aspects of photography, and amazingly, actually owned or owns the cameras he discusses. Ricehigh is the equivalent of a armchair hobbyist telling a professional racing driver that his car sucks and his settings were all wrong, all the while ignoring the fact that the driver just won the race.

Thank you so much for your comments. It makes me feel much better to have someone, like yourself, support Ben. I believe this forum needs to be more tolerant of other people's ideas. That does not mean you have to believe them; rather, just respect them. This makes for a lively, educational atmosphere in which everyone can grow & contribute.

I am relatively new here, but I read carefully—here are my observations & perceptions:

1) I have never seen RH attack a human being
2) I have seen RH attack Pentax philosophy and performance, regularly
3) I am not concerned with who knows more about Pentax,
4) I am not concerned with who is right most of the time about Pentax
5) I am concerned with dehumanization, and compassionately handling each other
6) RH appears the forum scapegoat—simply & only because of his intransigence concerning this forum’s popular perception of Pentax philosophy and performance
7) If you devalue RH to such a degree, then why on earth does he so upset you?
8) Have you tried, even for a second, to grasp how immensely difficult a struggle it must be for RH, (as well as for all other foreign posters) to try & adequately convey his thought here, in the English language?
9) If your true goal is to win a convert of RH, do you think this is most effectively handled by beating up on him?
10) Finally, and most importantly for me anyway, I have respect for Ben the photographer, for his learnedness in the world of photography. NO PROBLEM HERE--- However, in the world of humanity, where each and every one of us is equally and poignantly flawed, and where a man shows his real worth, here I still have a problem with Ben as I have come to know him in this post. But I hope I am proved wrong, that I have to dedicate a post for my apology to Ben. That would be a good day. But until I see otherwise, I will defend, with my heart, that which I see as right.

Regards,

Ernest

07-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Think you need a history lesson

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thank you so much for your comments. It makes me feel much better to have someone, like yourself, support Ben. I believe this forum needs to be more tolerant of other people's ideas. That does not mean you have to believe them; rather, just respect them. This makes for a lively, educational atmosphere in which everyone can grow & contribute.

I am relatively new here, but I read carefully—here are my observations & perceptions:

3) I am not concerned with who knows more about Pentax,
6) RH appears the forum scapegoat—simply & only because of his intransigence concerning this forum’s popular perception of Pentax philosophy and performance
8) Have you tried, even for a second, to grasp how immensely difficult a struggle it must be for RH, (as well as for all other foreign posters) to try & adequately convey his thought here, in the English language?
9) If your true goal is to win a convert of RH, do you think this is most effectively handled by beating up on him?
10) Finally, and most importantly for me anyway, I have respect for Ben the photographer, for his learnedness in the world of photography. NO PROBLEM HERE--- However, in the world of humanity, where each and every one of us is equally and poignantly flawed, and where a man shows his real worth, here I still have a problem with Ben as I have come to know him in this post. But I hope I am proved wrong, that I have to dedicate a post for my apology to Ben. That would be a good day. But until I see otherwise, I will defend, with my heart, that which I see as right.

Regards,

Ernest
Mr. Ricehigh is banned.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
quote from a member w/ a lot more tolerance than myself.
I would advise you to do more in depth reseach regarding your subject.

Even if he did help out occasionally, the rest of his repeated and endlessly detailed complaints about Pentax quality surely obscured it all. I was not impressed by his photos, so he did not have evidence to back his claims IMO.

He could have started a forum dedicated to Pentax problems based from his website maybe, or even a Pentax "hate" site. I just think it was hypocritical for him to say how much he loves Pentax and then continually complain about it.

I think he went overboard, and worst of all he could not admit that his theories had any faults at all. Pride goes before a fall.
--
Lipo
Luthier

To tell you the honest truth, he has been treated w more kindness and tolerance here than anywhere else he parks his wisdom.

My point is that your posts are tendentious.

The fact that you write long post which seems to be educated and sophisticated makes you, IMO, a professional troll, since the bottom line is always bashing, bashing.
Your objectivity is very doubtable.

New lurkers may get wrong impression without being familiar with your posts history.

According to the site policy you should have been banned ages ago. The fact that you use clean language doesn't make your messages "clean" nor objective. It is only make it harder to track the clear aim of your posts. bashing, bashing, always bashing.
Re: What's your point in your first reply since you denied?? n/t: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
And usually he retorts w/ the derogatory "fanboy" remarks.
Kepp your friends close and your enemies even closer.
Re: What's your point in your first reply since you denied?? n/t: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Posters Profile: RiceHigh: Digital Photography Review
How about your prediction of you will get banned if you continue to reply?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-06-2008 at 06:25 AM.
07-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

Attacking a product that people have invested money in, and enjoy using is effectively calling them stupid for not buying a Ricehigh Approved brand.

When you twist the truth, exaggerate and selectively ignore any contradictory evidence in your attacks, it's even worse.

When you do that to a well known professional in the field, you are attacking his skills and his years of work to get there.

For all your declaiming of what is right and just, you have a very naive view of human nature. Ricehigh has brought all this on himself.
07-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Explanation..

Hello Guys and Gals;

I wish to express my deepest apologies to RH for NOT posting the correct image when comparing the two images posted. In my haste, I posted a photo done with the Canon 1Ds MKll shot at f18.0 and not at 5.6 the optimal aperture. I did realize that fact after I did so and reposted another image at the optimal setting.

I also wish to apologize to RH for losing my temper with him. I have to try to understand that some people really DO enjoy examining cameras more than using them. That should not be considered a bad thing in its own right.

However, when the last 25 years of my career has been based on "The Image" and my work as a photographer and creative director hinges on my strong conviction as it applies to an aesthetic that identifies me in a specific style, I find it difficult at times to realize that there are those that have a totally different appreciation of the craft. That being the actual object. I love design and the response to the design being the final product realized. That in its own right is art. The ergonomics the flow of the lines and the materials used. As my original studies were in architecture, I can appreciate that.

My only problem here is that I am having difficulties establishing what it is that RH really wishes to discuss. If it is the study of statistics, ergonomics, systems design or photography, I have yet to determine what that is.

Perhaps that is where the problem lies.

I don't know...

Ben

Attached Images

07-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #65
RaduA

@ Jewelltrail,

First of all I think you are entitled to believe whatever you want but please note this is an international forum and it may be that not all your beliefs are embraced by the rest of us.

You kind of overreact IMO about this and since Ben appologised about his slip I guess this case is pretty much closed;

You better read more carefully his "Pentax blog". It's actually sad to see a grown up trying to pass judgements about gear he used 15 minutes in a store or for that matter technical problems he knows not that much about in the first place. His blog is basically a collection of Pentax (real or invented) flaws gathered from the net and regurgitated in one sigle place. And more so owning a K100D and some old Pentax film gear doesn't really qualify someone to talk about K20Ds and lenses he don't have much less talk down without proof. It's common knowledge that RH has some Canon gear but I am not aware about his "Canon blog"

3) I am not concerned with who knows more about Pentax

Then I guess you are in the wrong place because this is mainly a forum of those who use Pentax gear and who try to learn more from each other. And some of us value members that know more than the rest of us and IMO Ben is by far one of those. You may think of this in the terms "because of that he can step over people", I think of that in terms of "because of that he has more estime and credibility in my opinion".

If so, then how can you judge the others responses? If RH has over 1000 posts and in most of them is wrong what it will be in your opinion a threshold from where IT REALLY COUNTS who's right and who's wrong??? 10 000 posts, more?

You live you life as you wish and believe in whatever you want. Not many people here will try to make you change your mind about this beliefs but it seems to me that you try to impose your beliefs upon us. And guess what ...

Okey dokey - so @ 2) it was "I have seen RH attack Pentax philosophy and performance, regularly" and @ 3) you just said that it doesnt matter to you "who knows more about Pentax" so let's just call his opinions slander, ok? Because this is what he does to Pentax gear he just expresses his biased, false and defamatory statement about things he knows little about. One more very important point here: "scape goat" would be correct if the problems with Pentax gear were so RH writes about. Or you couldn't be any further from the truth. WE HAVE, USE, ARE AWARE OF SOME LIMITATIONS AND APRECIATE OUR PENTAX GEAR. HE DOES NONE OF THIS

If you are already that upset about this forum bad behaviour regarding the innocent Mr RH, why in the earth do you care about this so much and why it's upseting you?? . But to answer straight to the point I think most of us find him mildly annoying and that's for his utterly lack of credibility

Well, for me it's a very present sensation since my native language has nothing in common with English. And I know that some of what I say it's not that easy to understand because of this.

RH is already a convert! A Canon one and I am proud to say he really have the worst features of that very bad bunch. Any fanboy is a bad fanboy and RH is twice a fanboy (both pro canon and anti Pentax). His religion is to try in vain to excape his inferiority complexes regarding his investment in photo gear. That's why he needs to bash Pentax so that his Canon gear won't seem that much overvalued and underachiving (at least for whatever photos he may or may not do). Besides I (and most of this forum and others) have still to see a photo from him. And don't forget that we was banned from other forums and leaved "voluntarely" from photozone so here you must admit we are pretty tolerant.

It's your God given right to stand up to whatever you think it's right. I see a major flaw in your logic though to judge Ben (by your own admision) FROM THAT SINGLE POST and give RH the benefit of the doubt after over 1000 posts (many in really bad faith)

Radu
07-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
benjikan: I also wish to apologize to RH for losing my temper with him. I have to try to understand that some people really DO enjoy examining cameras more than using them. That should not be considered a bad thing in its own right.

The ability to admit a mistake is a mighty and exceptional quality in human beings. I agree it is sometimes difficult to fathom the goings-on within the minds of others. I guess I place a high value on peace and feel tolerance is an indispensable means towards that end. I would also agree that providing and nurturing tolerance is not always an easy thing to do.

And so I apologize to Ben for questioning his sensitivity towards, and understanding of, the respect owed to all posters here at this forum.

Best Regards,

Ernest
07-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #67
Veteran Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a contrarian. That's how I saw RH at first, but time and attention have shown me that he isn't really a contrarian, he's someone with an agenda.

He never, ever lets up on his agenda, and he's done and is doing it in multiple forums. His MO's been recognized in other forums by moderators who couldn't give a rat's ass abut Pentax, but banned him when they recognized it.

My guess is that he's either an ex-Pentax employee, or someone who's been at odds with the company over something in the past.

That being said, I personally don't mind RH that much, his tenacity towards his agenda is admirable, even if the agenda itself is not!

07-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #68
Veteran Member

who wants ice cream?
07-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
who wants ice cream?
Wouldn't marshmallows be more appropriate?
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a contrarian. That's how I saw RH at first, but time and attention have shown me that he isn't really a contrarian, he's someone with an agenda.

He never, ever lets up on his agenda, and he's done and is doing it in multiple forums. His MO's been recognized in other forums by moderators who couldn't give a rat's ass abut Pentax, but banned him when they recognized it.

My guess is that he's either an ex-Pentax employee, or someone who's been at odds with the company over something in the past.

That being said, I personally don't mind RH that much, his tenacity towards his agenda is admirable, even if the agenda itself is not!
this is one of my favorites actually.
John B. (writer apparently)
I'm with James on this one. We have heard RiceHigh's complaints ad nauseum. If you don't like your camera sell it and move on. You have beaten this issue to death.
Re: Disagree.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Typical RH response (to be honest he took a lot of "stuff" up to this point):
I don't think you have read the OT, really. My post is all about what have happened just today. It's all about latest thing and I reported them in the OT. How can you make such a conclusion?

Pls write in a more responsible way, especially that you tell us your profession is a writer.

Re: Poor Reader: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
And people ask why I insist to see Mr. Poon's credentials. They should be public record......
As to why he is so vehement against Pentax just read the first post. I probably would have a grudge myself (if all of this was really "real") but like most said "get over it and move on"
Very Poor Pentax Customer Services (BOTH Pentax Japan and Jebson HK): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Add to this his "resistered letter" to the CEO of Pentax that went unanswered... well you get the pictures.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-04-2008 at 07:54 PM.
07-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
Wouldn't marshmallows be more appropriate?
It would, but I can't light a fire in my apartment...I love roasted Marshmallows!

Ben
07-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #72
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mr RH's comments may not seem like personal attacks on the surface. However, if someone came into your home as a guest and did nothing but speak negatively about your taste in wall color you would find that person unwelcome after a while and would eventually start taking it quite personally. RH comes to this forum and admits to being a measurebator/non-photographer while tearing down the tools that some of us use to make a living. At first it was annoying. Now most of us have had enough. I have tried to ask him directly several times why he does it, but he always ignores my honest inquiries. I have also offered honest counterpoint to some of his complaints, actual evidence of incorrect statements he has made, which he also ignores. This make him pure troll. He claims to speak for the Pentaxian community, which makes me want to buy a Nikon.
07-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #73
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Mr RH's comments may not seem like personal attacks on the surface. However, if someone came into your home as a guest and did nothing but speak negatively about your taste in wall color you would find that person unwelcome after a while and would eventually start taking it quite personally. RH comes to this forum and admits to being a measurebator/non-photographer while tearing down the tools that some of us use to make a living. At first it was annoying. Now most of us have had enough. I have tried to ask him directly several times why he does it, but he always ignores my honest inquiries. I have also offered honest counterpoint to some of his complaints, actual evidence of incorrect statements he has made, which he also ignores. This make him pure troll. He claims to speak for the Pentaxian community, which makes me want to buy a Nikon.
No need to go Nikon way, Dave.

It's public knowledge that RH has a Canon 5D and this is why I often ask where is his Canon blog? If he was just a pentaxian willing to make an effort to better this brand any criticism or facts based opinion were most welcomed. Instead his behaviour borders either fanaticism, personal vendetta, a payied "job" or sheer ignorance mixed with poor technical knowledge and some of the above .

Radu
07-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
No need to go Nikon way, Dave.

It's public knowledge that RH has a Canon 5D and this is why I often ask where is his Canon blog? If he was just a pentaxian willing to make an effort to better this brand any criticism or facts based opinion were most welcomed. Instead his behaviour borders either fanaticism, personal vendetta, a payied "job" or sheer ignorance mixed with poor technical knowledge and some of the above .

Radu
How about if my Canon 5D and EOS system does NOT exhibit any of the problems as reported by actual Pentax users for the Pentax DSLRs, for what all are recorded in my Blog??

This is the only and true reason, why you need to imagine so many unreal things?? Good imaginations anyway!

What's wrong if I want to have a proper Pentax DSLR body which is at least as accurate as and performs as good as the Canon 5D? The 5D is not perfect, but the differences against all my Pentax DSLRs are very clear. On the other hand, Pentax film glass are mostly very nice - I like the FA* and Limited lenses (or just FA primes) even better than comparable Canon L glass or primes I newly invested. So, what Pentax DSLR body should I use? Not even to mention there is just no Full Frame Pentax DSLR yet (and in the foreseeable future there is still none)!

Even if there is a FF Pentax DSLR, if Pentax/Hoya still use the same outdated and inaccurate metering and AF systems, I am sure many of the Pentaxians will yet be disappointed again. All in all, they must create something new and vastly improved to upkeep in the game, but not sit here to do nothing (at least not significant enough IMHO)!
07-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #75
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
How about if my Canon 5D and EOS system does NOT exhibit any of the problems as reported by actual Pentax users for the Pentax DSLRs, for what all are recorded in my Blog??

This is the only and true reason, why you need to imagine so many unreal things?? Good imaginations anyway!

What's wrong if I want to have a proper Pentax DSLR body which is at least as accurate as and performs as good as the Canon 5D? The 5D is not perfect, but the differences against all my Pentax DSLRs are very clear. On the other hand, Pentax film glass are mostly very nice - I like the FA* and Limited lenses (or just FA primes) even better than comparable Canon L glass or primes I newly invested. So, what Pentax DSLR body should I use? Not even to mention there is just no Full Frame Pentax DSLR yet (and in the foreseeable future there is still none)!

Even if there is a FF Pentax DSLR, if Pentax/Hoya still use the same outdated and inaccurate metering and AF systems, I am sure many of the Pentaxians will yet be disappointed again. All in all, they must create something new and vastly improved to upkeep in the game, but not sit here to do nothing (at least not significant enough IMHO)!
RH,

Unlike you I am a fan of talking to the point. Here's my point: you have a 700 USD (when was new) K100D and a 3000 USD Canon 5D. Regardless of sensor size if you seriously wanna compare this 2 cameras it's your prerogative to do so.

Why are you biased you ask? It's very simple my friend, even too simple. And here it is: although you have an entry level from Pentax and a much expensive camera from Canon you have a Pentax blog WHERE YOU DISCUSS THE PENTAX SYSTEM AS A WHOLE. GEAR YOU NEVER HAD AND TESTS YOU NEVER DONE PROPERLY. GOT IT? If you were fair as you said and you 5D is perfect for you as you said then in fairness you could have a Canon blog to discuss the real or made up problems of the Canon system like you do with Pentax real or made up problems. Where is your Canon blog to discuss the abismal quality of the former Canon kit lens if we're at lens problems? If you done that you could brag today that Canon improved their kit lens thanks to you criticism!
You don't even limit yourself to criticise what you don't have but make asumptions about things that are not yet available: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31448-da-17-70-599-95-a.html
Care to explain how many half truths are there?

One more thing for you. Guess what, for some aplication I am more than willing to pit my K20D and some of my glass against anything you have from Canon. I guess this will lower your self estime about your expensive camera a bit but hey ... there's always a bashing Pentax blog to refulate your measurbator complexes.
Got it? This is why you are not fair and I feel that I can't explain this any better.

Radu