Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #1

"accidentally" brushed the mirror

A fellow starting photography hobbyist "accidentally" brushed his mirror and focusing screen on his K10D. I looked at the mirror for any sign of damage or scratches but have not seen any (not yet). Is there any way to know if mirror or focusing screen is damage/scratched?

The brush that he used is the kind of brush that you can use for the lens.

Any inputs?

06-26-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has he tried using a magnifying glass under good artificial light (not sunlight!) to look over the mirror and focusing screen?
06-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, supposing the brush was designed for cleaning lenses, I don't think it would damage the mirror in any way. If it's soft enough for the lens (coating on it) it must be soft enough for the mirror. As for the focusing screen, I don't know, but it should be OK too...
06-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iamweasel Quote
A fellow starting photography hobbyist "accidentally" brushed his mirror and focusing screen on his K10D. I looked at the mirror for any sign of damage or scratches but have not seen any (not yet). Is there any way to know if mirror or focusing screen is damage/scratched?

The brush that he used is the kind of brush that you can use for the lens.

Any inputs?
Brushing the mirror gently shouldnt be a problem , but you can scratch the focus screen with a brush and can also loose the hairs from the brush so best avoided. Just use a bulb blower.

Look through the camera without a lens attached. If you dont see a problem there isnt one !

Either way this cannot affect the picture, I just got used to seeing dust specs on my old cameras when looking through the viewfinder.

06-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Just take some shots. If the photos turn out to be OK, I don't see why your friend should worry as to whether or not the mirror is scratched!
06-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A scratched mirror won't affect the photo.
06-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you! I will inform my friend of your inputs.
He will be joining the forum soon