Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How to maximize K-50 burst rate?

Playing around with my K-50 after being frustrated several times by its rate of fire and buffer.

Using a 64GB SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s class 10 UHS-1 card, at the lowest JPEG quality setting, I can only get about 6 or 7 frames on Continuous Hi until the buffer fills. Upping the JPEG quality, or shooting RAW, it only takes 4 or 5 to fill the buffer. (using freshly-charged AAs.

Using the "stock" battery only ups the frame rate, not the buffer.

What do I need to tweak to be able to get closer to the claimed 30 JPEG shots before the buffer fills?

Thanks!

11-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Playing around with my K-50 after being frustrated several times by its rate of fire and buffer.

Using a 64GB SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s class 10 UHS-1 card, at the lowest JPEG quality setting, I can only get about 6 or 7 frames on Continuous Hi until the buffer fills. Upping the JPEG quality, or shooting RAW, it only takes 4 or 5 to fill the buffer. (using freshly-charged AAs.

Using the "stock" battery only ups the frame rate, not the buffer.

What do I need to tweak to be able to get closer to the claimed 30 JPEG shots before the buffer fills?

Thanks!
You don't have to reduce the size of your JPEGs. However, don't ultra cards only have a 10 Mb/s write speed? That might be your bottleneck. Also, make sure that lens distortion corrections are disabled.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You don't have to reduce the size of your JPEGs. However, don't ultra cards only have a 10 Mb/s write speed? That might be your bottleneck. Also, make sure that lens distortion corrections are disabled.
After I posted I looked up my card. I guess it's a little longer in the tooth than I remember... :-)

Time to pick up a couple of new EXTREME cards and see what's up.
11-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

I was using transcend UHS-1 16gb cards, and when I switched to Sandisk Extreme with a speed of 65 mbps, the buffer was noticably faster. As Adam said, a faster chip would likely help you out. I shoot raw, and I get about 6-10 raw before the buffer quits on my k-30.

11-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
After I posted I looked up my card. I guess it's a little longer in the tooth than I remember... :-)

Time to pick up a couple of new EXTREME cards and see what's up.
Anything write a write speed of 30 Mb/s or higher should be good enough for the K-50. An easy way of ensuring this is to get a card that's labeled UHS-I. Sandisk extreme cards will certainly fit the bill

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

I just tried a Sandisk Extreme pro 95mb/s card from my K3 in my K50, the buffer ist still filled after 4-5 shots in raw or raw+jpg.
No difference at all compared to a 40mb/s card.

Somewhere in a german K50 review i read that the K50 has a smaller buffer than the K30 but i dont seem to find it right now.
11-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bewatek Quote
Somewhere in a german K50 review i read that the K50 has a smaller buffer than the K30 but i dont seem to find it right now.
I don't believe that's true, they are basically the same camera.
11-21-2015, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I assume you must be doing something wrong - both Ricoh Imaging's official numbers and several reviews point towards a buffer capacity of at least 8 RAWs or 30 JPEGs. If you can only get 4 to 5 high quality JPEGs, then something must be wrong with your settings. As others have mentioned, check whether you have any automatic corrections (shadows, highlights, CA, distortion) enabled.

11-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I assume you must be doing something wrong - both Ricoh Imaging's official numbers and several reviews point towards a buffer capacity of at least 8 RAWs or 30 JPEGs. If you can only get 4 to 5 high quality JPEGs, then something must be wrong with your settings. As others have mentioned, check whether you have any automatic corrections (shadows, highlights, CA, distortion) enabled.
You are right - with all corrections off i get 8 raws or 26 jpgs with both the 40mb/s and the 95mb/s card.
Close enough to the official numbers, thank you!
11-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

Whoo! Problem solved!!
11-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Whoo! Problem solved!!
The credits go to Adam
11-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Finally got around to buying a new memory card. And realized I had the lens corrections turned on (highlight and shadow were turned off already). Between the tweaks, it's now shooting as fast as it can. Or as my wife says, "why do you need so many pictures?"
11-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #13

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 95mb/s cards are not UHS-I? I think they have all the extra contacts on the back of the card that the K-50 doesn't use in order to take advantage of the speed difference.

For some reason I had it in my head that K-50 would be limited to only 10MB/s cards of U1/UHS-I, and that faster U3/UHS-1 would also be a crapshoot. And UHS-II was outright impossible (though physically backward compatible, but at lower speed).