Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How much bulkier is K200D over istDL?

With recent price drop and rebate available, I am considering upgrading my istDL to K200D. After recent photo session I think the additional 4 megapixels would come in handy. The only thing is that I have not seen K200D (only the online pictures) so I have no idea how much bulkier/bigger it is over my istDL. I have checked the usual shops around me (Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, ElectronicsExpo) and they do not have the camera for me to check it out.

I am asking because I really like the compactness of istDL. Slightly bigger would be OK but if the size/weight ratio increase is significant, I would think twice before upgrading.

Thanks.

06-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
of course it's bigger....

it has to be bigger, just so it can hold all those extra megapixels

Seriously, I believe if you go to the pentax site, you can get the dimensions and weights of all bodies.

K200D approx. 133.5(W) x 95(H) x 74(D)mm (5.2 x 3.7 x 2.9 inches)
approx. 630g (22.2 oz.) without battery and SD memory card.
approx. 690g (24.3oz.) loaded and ready with lithium battery and SD memory card
approx. 725g (25.6oz.) loaded and ready with alkaline battery and SD memory card

*istDL
approx. 125(W) x 92.5(H) x 67(D)mm
approx. 470g without battery and SD memory card.
06-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the dimensions and weight from dpreview site but that really does not tell me much unless I make a cardboard model :-)

I wish Pentax would advertise more and have their cameras available at retail locations. MicroCenter near me even has Olympus but no Pentax.
06-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
I wish Pentax would advertise more and have their cameras available at retail locations.

Trust us, you're not alone in this. I'd love to feel the K200D, but that is a distant dream.

06-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the K200D is a K100D which is pretty much identical to the *istD
06-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the K200D is a K100D which is pretty much identical to the *istD
Yes and not really. The shape of the grip is different, and I liked the handling of the DL a bit better.

That being said, having played recently with both the DL and K100D, I did not notice any substantial difference in size and weight. They were both very comfortable to hold and use. I'm sure you'd be happy with the K200D if you bought it.

EDIT: The grip has been changed on the K200D. Chances are it feels better than the K100D.
06-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The difference between the size and weight of the K200D and K100D is like the difference between the *istD and the K100D, therefore only a little larger and a slight bit heavier. I just made the switch from a K100D to a K200D and it feels very nice in the hand and the extra little weight helps balance the longer zooms quite nicely.
06-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replies. I guess I have to find a way to get my hands on K200D.

QuoteQuote:
The difference between the size and weight of the K200D and K100D is like the difference between the *istD and the K100D, therefore only a little larger and a slight bit heavier.
If that's true, then knowing that istDL I think is the lightest and smallest, then the difference might be substantial if I skip it and go directly with K200D.

06-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
Thanks for replies. I guess I have to find a way to get my hands on K200D.

If that's true, then knowing that istDL I think is the lightest and smallest, then the difference might be substantial if I skip it and go directly with K200D.
do you have osteogenesis or something? the difference is in grams, your lens selection would actualy have a greater impact on weight than the body.

06-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #10

I recently upgraded from a *istDL to the K200D. Put down the *istDL, wait 30 minutes, then pick up the K200D...other than a deeper right-hand rubber grip, you'll barely be able to tell the difference IMHO. The *istDL was a great camera, but I'm really glad I upgraded!
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

do you have osteogenesis or something? the difference is in grams, your lens selection would actualy have a greater impact on weight than the body.

I have the K200D, and I like how it feels, but almost all of my photography is done on backcountry hiking or ski trips, and I've spent years getting my gear weight down. A few grams here and there add up I like my camera, but I probably wouldn't mind if it was lighter, even if it felt a bit "cheaper" or something.

So far I just have the kit lens, but lens weight will be a big factor when making purchases, and unless I'm doing a dedicated photography trip I'll be unlikely to carry more than one or two.

Anyway, just pointing out that there are some people who might have a reasonable reason to care about the weight.
06-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I have the K200D, and I like how it feels, but almost all of my photography is done on backcountry hiking or ski trips, and I've spent years getting my gear weight down. A few grams here and there add up I like my camera, but I probably wouldn't mind if it was lighter, even if it felt a bit "cheaper" or something.

So far I just have the kit lens, but lens weight will be a big factor when making purchases, and unless I'm doing a dedicated photography trip I'll be unlikely to carry more than one or two.

Anyway, just pointing out that there are some people who might have a reasonable reason to care about the weight.
i fully understand that people care about weight, i am ohh so glad that my new K20D is alot lighter than i expected (having handeled my friends 30D i thought it would be in the same league)

its just that the OP expresses such fear of increased weight in his sentences that i find it rather obnoxious.

also believe me that as a small-framed person who enjoys going camping i understand the problem of weight quite well.
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree, I have a *DS as a second body, and handled a K200D. In the real world, the handling is VERY similar, both compact, and useable. The only difference is the grip, where the K200D is slightly wider, and as a result a little better to hold (so much better than what Canon can drum up with, with their 300/350/400/450 range - I hate their handling........:-) )
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
its just that the OP expresses such fear of increased weight in his sentences that i find it rather obnoxious.
I am not so much concerned about the extra 60 grams of added weight but the whole weight/size factor. I do a lot of hiking and bicycling so I want to travel light. I always take only one body with one lens attached to it because the space in my small backpack is limited.

I would love to just go to the store and compare both cameras but I guess that's not possible unless I take a trip to NYC. That's why I have asked question here on this forum.

And I am sorry if you feel that my posts are obnoxious. Maybe it is because I do not know how to properly formulate sentences as English is my second language. Being obnoxious definitely wasn't the goal here.
06-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

have you considered the Sigma DP1??