Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also consider a used K-30. It's basically the same as the K-50, which replaced it and the same sensor as the K-5.

11-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use my DL I bought used back when the K-10 was introduced. It was/is a good camera to learn on. I am slowly retiring it since I now have the K-30 and just purchased a K200.
I have tried to retire it a couple of times before. It just won't stay there.
11-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If you want to save money, I'd go with a relatively modern body (K-50 or K-S1) and then, if it doesn't come with a lens, buying one of the old film-era lenses. There are a lot of really good ones out there that can be bought for less than $100, sometimes far less.
11-21-2015, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My husband and I both shoot Pentax and both started experimenting with DSLRs at about the same time a couple of years ago. One reason to consider getting exactly the same model as your spouse is that when something perplexing happens (as you learn, or just because perplexing things happen from time to time), you'll be able to help each other because you'll both be very familiar with the same model. If you ever need to pick up her camera for some reason or vice-versa, there will be no learning curve and it will feel natural in your hands from the first minute. If one of you (or both of you) finds learning new technology a bit challenging, then having you both use the same model will improve the odds of figuring things out.

The downside is that you can mix up your cameras - but that's easily solved with different straps or a bit of red nail polish. (Mr frogoutofwater occasionally tries to grab "my" 55-300, so different markers on the lenses helps.)

11-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Obviously the newer the model the better the features. But, for a basic camera with good performance the older models are still relevant.

I have tried the ist L, K100, K200, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5iis, K3 - all decent cameras within their limitations. Really basic notes are as follows (check out the review database):

istD L = dedicated for macro work as it is one of two digital cameras produced by Pentax that can use TTL flash (older flashes). There is a plethora of old useful flashes out there that mate well with this camera for macro. Downside is 6MP and AA batteries.

K100 = basic walk around. not feature rich. Probably not a great body to use. ISO performance poor.

K200 = as above with slightly better features. ISO performance poor.

K10D = very good step up to above cameras. Has poor manual lens compatibility (light metering). Good walk around with useful features. Noise a problem at higher ISO (>400). Cult camera

K20D = step up from K10D with different sensor. ISO performance not the best. Cult following is less so for this reason.

K7 = step towards K5 with improvements over the K20D. 14 MP camera - so pretty good performance. AF and noise not the best.

K5 = flagship camera for a number of years. Feature rich and easy to use. Has ISO80 - very nice. Autofocus not really the best especially for fast (f2.8 or less lenses). Excellent camera to start with if not using fast lenses.

K5iis = flagship camera with modification. Removed AA filter to help make sharper images. EXCELLENT camera.

K3 = recent flagship camera. Highest MP rating. EXCELLENT camera.

My recommendation is a K5 body (second hand) as it represent excellent value for money. But if you can get a K5iis for a similar price I would definitely go for that camera.

Have fun choosing.

As much as I like my K100D Super, I have to agree with Mr. Wildmark in his assessment on the k5 or k5iis. While this camera is user friendly, its sophistication will keep in you in the modern age for some time before you will consider upgrading. Speaking for myself, my decision was based on financial limitations. "I'm so poor, I can't afford to pay attention." ) Good luck in your search, and I am sure we would be interested in your final decision.

Rgds,

Tonytee
11-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For your budget. I would get the K10D or a K2000. You may find a K20D in that price range. The only one of the 6.1MP DSLR's I would consider is the K100D Super. There is less of them around to get. I have the K100D, K10D and K2000. I would recommend the K10D all the other cameras I mentioned. I still use it more than the 3 newer bodies I have when I do work with studio lights.
11-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen K10 cameras on ebay in the price range you are looking for.

11-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PM sent.
11-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Obviously the newer the model the better the features. But, for a basic camera with good performance the older models are still relevant.

I have tried the ist L, K100, K200, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5iis, K3 - all decent cameras within their limitations. Really basic notes are as follows (check out the review database):

istD L = dedicated for macro work as it is one of two digital cameras produced by Pentax that can use TTL flash (older flashes). There is a plethora of old useful flashes out there that mate well with this camera for macro. Downside is 6MP and AA batteries.

K100 = basic walk around. not feature rich. Probably not a great body to use. ISO performance poor.

K200 = as above with slightly better features. ISO performance poor.

K10D = very good step up to above cameras. Has poor manual lens compatibility (light metering). Good walk around with useful features. Noise a problem at higher ISO (>400). Cult camera

K20D = step up from K10D with different sensor. ISO performance not the best. Cult following is less so for this reason.

K7 = step towards K5 with improvements over the K20D. 14 MP camera - so pretty good performance. AF and noise not the best.

K5 = flagship camera for a number of years. Feature rich and easy to use. Has ISO80 - very nice. Autofocus not really the best especially for fast (f2.8 or less lenses). Excellent camera to start with if not using fast lenses.

K5iis = flagship camera with modification. Removed AA filter to help make sharper images. EXCELLENT camera.

K3 = recent flagship camera. Highest MP rating. EXCELLENT camera.

My recommendation is a K5 body (second hand) as it represent excellent value for money. But if you can get a K5iis for a similar price I would definitely go for that camera.

Have fun choosing.
+1 for the K-5 series and especially the K-5iis. That's a lot of camera for a good price these days.
11-22-2015, 02:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

These days there are great old Pentax DSLRs for very little money. I'd say go for something with the 10MP CCD sensor, or newer. That means the K200D or K10D, or the slightly newer but pared-down K-2000/K-m.

They will all be lacking (compared to today's cameras) in AF speed and accuracy and also in high-ISO image quality, but not much else. The K200D & K10D at least are wonderful cameras to use.
11-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
So my wife wanted to move up from a point and shoot to a dslr. After researching cameras for a few weeks we decided to go with the pentax k-50 with the 18-55mm kit lens. It should be here Tuesday. After doing weeks of research I realized that dslr photography is something that interests me as well. My wife is not one to share her toys, (nor should she have to), so I will need to get a camera for myself.

I don't want to spend new camera money again on something I just want to try out and may not stick with. I have found several *ist D and k-100's for sale with lenses for around $100. My question is are these cameras still good to learn on or are they so out of date that they aren't worth bothering with?
If you are in so-cal area, you can pick up a K-S1 for $200, with a lens.

And I would try to stay with never cameras, because the sensor technology caught up. That being said, for learning it will be fine.
For me , I started with a Canon G3, then Olympus E-300 (cheap, barebones controls, good for learning), Olympus E-510, Pentax K-30/Olympus E-3 and then K-3.

---------- Post added 11-22-15 at 04:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
These days there are great old Pentax DSLRs for very little money. I'd say go for something with the 10MP CCD sensor, or newer. That means the K200D or K10D, or the slightly newer but pared-down K-2000/K-m.

They will all be lacking (compared to today's cameras) in AF speed and accuracy and also in high-ISO image quality, but not much else. The K200D & K10D at least are wonderful cameras to use.

I would second K10D. The noise performance won't be there, but at least it will be fun experience with a high-end camera. Something different than the K-50. And who knows, maybe your wife will grow jealous, get a k-3 and give you the K-50
11-22-2015, 03:38 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rob, do you think you and your wife are a chance to really enjoy this hobby? Then up your budget a little, get the K-S1 or K-50. Buy nice instead of twice. :-)
11-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
Forum Member

+1 for KS1 - it's ergonomics are a bit awkward but you just can't beat the IQ for the money.
11-22-2015, 04:28 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
So my wife wanted to move up from a point and shoot to a dslr. After researching cameras for a few weeks we decided to go with the pentax k-50 with the 18-55mm kit lens. It should be here Tuesday. After doing weeks of research I realized that dslr photography is something that interests me as well. My wife is not one to share her toys, (nor should she have to), so I will need to get a camera for myself.

I don't want to spend new camera money again on something I just want to try out and may not stick with. I have found several *ist D and k-100's for sale with lenses for around $100. My question is are these cameras still good to learn on or are they so out of date that they aren't worth bothering with?
Rob, I've just skimmed through the other posts and haven't noticed whether anyone has mentioned live-view, i.e. taking a shot by viewing the rear screen. The older cameras, good though they are, do not have that feature, and it can be very useful for some types of shot, e.g. where eye to viewfinder is not possible. I would go for nothing earlier than a K-5, simply because not only will a K-5 or later have live-view, but also it will have excellent image quality in low light, i.e. low image noise at high ISO. The K-5 itself would be an excellent choice - a good, low shutter count (e.g. less than 20,000) model should be quite cheap; it is weather-sealed and built like a tank, and it is as easy or as complex to use as your ability allows. However, I would always caution and recommend that you buy through a reputable source that will give you a good warranty.

Cheers.

Last edited by MrB1; 11-22-2015 at 04:35 AM.
11-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

With a budget of $150 max no point recommending the K-5! I'd go for the K200D. The image quality is so beautiful and its just a nice camera to use. Got me hooked on Pentax!

Haven't tried the K10 but it gets consistently good reviews so that might be worth a shot if you can find it at that price point.