Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
onlineflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 695
Also consider a used K-30. It's basically the same as the K-50, which replaced it and the same sensor as the K-5.

11-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
patrick9's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Murfreesboro Tennessee
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,353
I still use my DL I bought used back when the K-10 was introduced. It was/is a good camera to learn on. I am slowly retiring it since I now have the K-30 and just purchased a K200.
I have tried to retire it a couple of times before. It just won't stay there.
11-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Outis's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 916
If you want to save money, I'd go with a relatively modern body (K-50 or K-S1) and then, if it doesn't come with a lens, buying one of the old film-era lenses. There are a lot of really good ones out there that can be bought for less than $100, sometimes far less.
11-21-2015, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Homesick Canadian in New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 659
My husband and I both shoot Pentax and both started experimenting with DSLRs at about the same time a couple of years ago. One reason to consider getting exactly the same model as your spouse is that when something perplexing happens (as you learn, or just because perplexing things happen from time to time), you'll be able to help each other because you'll both be very familiar with the same model. If you ever need to pick up her camera for some reason or vice-versa, there will be no learning curve and it will feel natural in your hands from the first minute. If one of you (or both of you) finds learning new technology a bit challenging, then having you both use the same model will improve the odds of figuring things out.

The downside is that you can mix up your cameras - but that's easily solved with different straps or a bit of red nail polish. (Mr frogoutofwater occasionally tries to grab "my" 55-300, so different markers on the lenses helps.)

11-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,223
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Obviously the newer the model the better the features. But, for a basic camera with good performance the older models are still relevant.

I have tried the ist L, K100, K200, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5iis, K3 - all decent cameras within their limitations. Really basic notes are as follows (check out the review database):

istD L = dedicated for macro work as it is one of two digital cameras produced by Pentax that can use TTL flash (older flashes). There is a plethora of old useful flashes out there that mate well with this camera for macro. Downside is 6MP and AA batteries.

K100 = basic walk around. not feature rich. Probably not a great body to use. ISO performance poor.

K200 = as above with slightly better features. ISO performance poor.

K10D = very good step up to above cameras. Has poor manual lens compatibility (light metering). Good walk around with useful features. Noise a problem at higher ISO (>400). Cult camera

K20D = step up from K10D with different sensor. ISO performance not the best. Cult following is less so for this reason.

K7 = step towards K5 with improvements over the K20D. 14 MP camera - so pretty good performance. AF and noise not the best.

K5 = flagship camera for a number of years. Feature rich and easy to use. Has ISO80 - very nice. Autofocus not really the best especially for fast (f2.8 or less lenses). Excellent camera to start with if not using fast lenses.

K5iis = flagship camera with modification. Removed AA filter to help make sharper images. EXCELLENT camera.

K3 = recent flagship camera. Highest MP rating. EXCELLENT camera.

My recommendation is a K5 body (second hand) as it represent excellent value for money. But if you can get a K5iis for a similar price I would definitely go for that camera.

Have fun choosing.

As much as I like my K100D Super, I have to agree with Mr. Wildmark in his assessment on the k5 or k5iis. While this camera is user friendly, its sophistication will keep in you in the modern age for some time before you will consider upgrading. Speaking for myself, my decision was based on financial limitations. "I'm so poor, I can't afford to pay attention." ) Good luck in your search, and I am sure we would be interested in your final decision.

Rgds,

Tonytee
11-21-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
macman24054's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Axton, VA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 234
For your budget. I would get the K10D or a K2000. You may find a K20D in that price range. The only one of the 6.1MP DSLR's I would consider is the K100D Super. There is less of them around to get. I have the K100D, K10D and K2000. I would recommend the K10D all the other cameras I mentioned. I still use it more than the 3 newer bodies I have when I do work with studio lights.
11-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marina CA
Posts: 344
I have seen K10 cameras on ebay in the price range you are looking for.
11-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,829
PM sent.

11-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #24
Senior Member
Davidparis's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 279
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Obviously the newer the model the better the features. But, for a basic camera with good performance the older models are still relevant.

I have tried the ist L, K100, K200, K10, K20, K7, K5, K5iis, K3 - all decent cameras within their limitations. Really basic notes are as follows (check out the review database):

istD L = dedicated for macro work as it is one of two digital cameras produced by Pentax that can use TTL flash (older flashes). There is a plethora of old useful flashes out there that mate well with this camera for macro. Downside is 6MP and AA batteries.

K100 = basic walk around. not feature rich. Probably not a great body to use. ISO performance poor.

K200 = as above with slightly better features. ISO performance poor.

K10D = very good step up to above cameras. Has poor manual lens compatibility (light metering). Good walk around with useful features. Noise a problem at higher ISO (>400). Cult camera

K20D = step up from K10D with different sensor. ISO performance not the best. Cult following is less so for this reason.

K7 = step towards K5 with improvements over the K20D. 14 MP camera - so pretty good performance. AF and noise not the best.

K5 = flagship camera for a number of years. Feature rich and easy to use. Has ISO80 - very nice. Autofocus not really the best especially for fast (f2.8 or less lenses). Excellent camera to start with if not using fast lenses.

K5iis = flagship camera with modification. Removed AA filter to help make sharper images. EXCELLENT camera.

K3 = recent flagship camera. Highest MP rating. EXCELLENT camera.

My recommendation is a K5 body (second hand) as it represent excellent value for money. But if you can get a K5iis for a similar price I would definitely go for that camera.

Have fun choosing.
+1 for the K-5 series and especially the K-5iis. That's a lot of camera for a good price these days.
11-22-2015, 02:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,340
These days there are great old Pentax DSLRs for very little money. I'd say go for something with the 10MP CCD sensor, or newer. That means the K200D or K10D, or the slightly newer but pared-down K-2000/K-m.

They will all be lacking (compared to today's cameras) in AF speed and accuracy and also in high-ISO image quality, but not much else. The K200D & K10D at least are wonderful cameras to use.
11-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,117
QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
So my wife wanted to move up from a point and shoot to a dslr. After researching cameras for a few weeks we decided to go with the pentax k-50 with the 18-55mm kit lens. It should be here Tuesday. After doing weeks of research I realized that dslr photography is something that interests me as well. My wife is not one to share her toys, (nor should she have to), so I will need to get a camera for myself.

I don't want to spend new camera money again on something I just want to try out and may not stick with. I have found several *ist D and k-100's for sale with lenses for around $100. My question is are these cameras still good to learn on or are they so out of date that they aren't worth bothering with?
If you are in so-cal area, you can pick up a K-S1 for $200, with a lens.

And I would try to stay with never cameras, because the sensor technology caught up. That being said, for learning it will be fine.
For me , I started with a Canon G3, then Olympus E-300 (cheap, barebones controls, good for learning), Olympus E-510, Pentax K-30/Olympus E-3 and then K-3.

---------- Post added 11-22-15 at 04:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
These days there are great old Pentax DSLRs for very little money. I'd say go for something with the 10MP CCD sensor, or newer. That means the K200D or K10D, or the slightly newer but pared-down K-2000/K-m.

They will all be lacking (compared to today's cameras) in AF speed and accuracy and also in high-ISO image quality, but not much else. The K200D & K10D at least are wonderful cameras to use.

I would second K10D. The noise performance won't be there, but at least it will be fun experience with a high-end camera. Something different than the K-50. And who knows, maybe your wife will grow jealous, get a k-3 and give you the K-50
11-22-2015, 03:38 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,010
Rob, do you think you and your wife are a chance to really enjoy this hobby? Then up your budget a little, get the K-S1 or K-50. Buy nice instead of twice. :-)
11-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 60
+1 for KS1 - it's ergonomics are a bit awkward but you just can't beat the IQ for the money.
11-22-2015, 04:28 AM   #29
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 144
QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
So my wife wanted to move up from a point and shoot to a dslr. After researching cameras for a few weeks we decided to go with the pentax k-50 with the 18-55mm kit lens. It should be here Tuesday. After doing weeks of research I realized that dslr photography is something that interests me as well. My wife is not one to share her toys, (nor should she have to), so I will need to get a camera for myself.

I don't want to spend new camera money again on something I just want to try out and may not stick with. I have found several *ist D and k-100's for sale with lenses for around $100. My question is are these cameras still good to learn on or are they so out of date that they aren't worth bothering with?
Rob, I've just skimmed through the other posts and haven't noticed whether anyone has mentioned live-view, i.e. taking a shot by viewing the rear screen. The older cameras, good though they are, do not have that feature, and it can be very useful for some types of shot, e.g. where eye to viewfinder is not possible. I would go for nothing earlier than a K-5, simply because not only will a K-5 or later have live-view, but also it will have excellent image quality in low light, i.e. low image noise at high ISO. The K-5 itself would be an excellent choice - a good, low shutter count (e.g. less than 20,000) model should be quite cheap; it is weather-sealed and built like a tank, and it is as easy or as complex to use as your ability allows. However, I would always caution and recommend that you buy through a reputable source that will give you a good warranty.

Cheers.

Last edited by MrB1; 11-22-2015 at 04:35 AM.
11-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 294
With a budget of $150 max no point recommending the K-5! I'd go for the K200D. The image quality is so beautiful and its just a nice camera to use. Got me hooked on Pentax!

Haven't tried the K10 but it gets consistently good reviews so that might be worth a shot if you can find it at that price point.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, dslr, frog, frogs, images, jpg, k-30, k100ds, k10d, k200d, lens, mud, olympus, pee, pef, pentax, photography, pm, sensor, sharpness, weeks, wife, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how old is my k1000? drphotolv Pentax Film SLR Discussion 12 10-21-2015 05:14 PM
Old "film" glass on digital bodies... is there like a black list? rburgoss Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 09-18-2014 05:04 PM
Black & White Negatives in a Box of Very Old Camera Gear OrangeKx Post Your Photos! 3 08-06-2014 12:43 AM
How fast is K-x in terms of AF speed? Taikonaut Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 11-18-2009 08:48 AM
How to best clean and repair old lens & bodies? hinman Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 12-21-2007 05:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top