Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it can be afforded, it would be better to have one of those bodies that can operate DC and SDM lenses. Then if the financial situation improves, the lens collection can be expanded without technical limitations.

If not, however, there's nothing wrong with screwdrive or MF glass. I loved my *ist-DL, but I would never have been able to run the 18-135 on it.

11-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If it can be afforded, it would be better to have one of those bodies that can operate DC and SDM lenses. Then if the financial situation improves, the lens collection can be expanded without technical limitations.

If not, however, there's nothing wrong with screwdrive or MF glass. I loved my *ist-DL, but I would never have been able to run the 18-135 on it.
Couldn't you use it as a manual focus lens? I'm not saying it would be ideal.
11-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Anything from K10 after can operate SDM lenses. I've seen them sell for $100 quite often.
11-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Anything from K10 after can operate SDM lenses. I've seen them sell for $100 quite often.
The K100D and the K110D won't. And the K10D needs firmware 1.30 for SDM.

11-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Couldn't you use it as a manual focus lens? I'm not saying it would be ideal.
I think it would be a waste as a manual-focus lens. Perhaps the only advantage would be the amount of EXIF data it would feed to the camera for program/flash functionality. The other reason it would be a waste on an older body is that it really only makes sense in terms of WR; absent that, I would rather have the 18-250 and at least enjoy a wider focal length range for the same size and weight.
11-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You have to be aware that while a DSLR allow for creativity when playing with apperture and primes, a modern compact camera can very well provide better result in term of sharpness, rendering
This may be true at the original image size. However it does not take much cropping to make this statement not hold out. My wife's X5 takes wonderfully sharp pictures. However when compared to cropped images they don't even come close to the sharpness of my K10D. The reason is that at some point the loss of detail due to pixel density start to show up. The glass on a point and shoot can't even come close to a kit lens. Much less a prime or nice zoom.

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And the K10D needs firmware 1.30 for SDM.
free download
11-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
free download
Not everyone knows how to do a firmware update. It can be very intimidating to someone who has never done one.
11-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
This may be true at the original image size. However it does not take much cropping to make this statement not hold out. My wife's X5 takes wonderfully sharp pictures. However when compared to cropped images they don't even come close to the sharpness of my K10D. The reason is that at some point the loss of detail due to pixel density start to show up. The glass on a point and shoot can't even come close to a kit lens. Much less a prime or nice zoom.

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 01:41 PM ----------

free download
This evolve... When the light is good you can get a lot from some P&S and comparatively if this important to you, there much difference if you start to get a DSLR without low pass filter with 24MP+. Try an RX100, even the first one and in good light you'll get quite interresting results.

Still this doesn't sell the K10D too much.

My issue is basically all theses used camera will be almost the same price but some you could get almost everything except maybe a great AF that come with a K3 while other really start to show they age.

11-28-2015, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #69

Original Poster
Well, I went with a *ist DS with two manual focus lenses. That gives us three different lenses to use between the two cameras. So far I am enjoying the learning process although I haven't really had a chance to get out and really shoot with it. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
11-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds good - what lenses did you get?
11-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I pondered the same thing a few months ago and ended up getting a K20D. I also looked closely at the K10D. The main thing that pushed me to the K20 was improvements in the jpeg engine in the K20, If you shoot raw, the K10 is probably a good choice and should be in your price range. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a new K-50 with these insanely low prices right now (but hindsight is 20/20 of course).
11-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #72

Original Poster
SMC-M 50mm f/2 and SMC-M 80-200 f/4.5. Mostly just had the 50mm prime on the camera since the only place I've had to use it is in the house. I'll probably use the zoom lens when I'm out fishing to shoot things like alligators sunning on the riverbank or wading birds and such.
11-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy the camera. I never used the *is ds, I started with a K10D. I still have it. Within another year or so the used K5 prices will be even lower. The K50 prices are so low right now there is no point in trying to sell one used. I used all manual lenses on my K10D for the first year I had it. There are still people here in the forums posting pictures with the *is D.
11-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

OP, I have the A version of your 50mm and I also have the 80-200/f4.5 M zoom. While the f/2 50mm's have been much maligned, they can and will do good work if the photographer is capable, and from what I've seen of the 80-200 it's pretty capable too. What you have, sometimes with a 28mm prime thrown in, used to be a pretty common 2 (or 3) lens kit back in the day. What's the third lens the two cameras share?
11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #75
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K100D and the K110D won't
[ie drive SDM lenses]. But the K100D Super will. That was one of the things that made it "Super" (according to the marketers anyway). From the 2007 release:
"The new K100D Super adds ISO 3200 sensitivity, SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor) lens support and a Dust Removal system which operates in the same manner as the K10D; a combination of a special protective coating on the low pass filter and a high frequency 'shake' of the sensor using the SR system."

Not everyone knows how to do a firmware update. It can be very intimidating to someone who has never done one.
That's true but I wouldn't want people to be put off. All you need to do is download the file (for free), put it on to a blank SD card and follow the instructions, which are very clear.
QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
Well, I went with a *ist DS with two manual focus lenses. That gives us three different lenses to use between the two cameras. So far I am enjoying the learning process although I haven't really had a chance to get out and really shoot with it. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
You will have fun with it @baldrob. The hard part is working out the pronunciation. This has puzzled PF members for years: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/2377-pronunciation-ist.html
Here's an entertaining reflection: OK1000 Pentax Blog: How to Pronounce the Pentax "*ist"

This thread illustrates some of the standard features of the forum:
1. When a poster says they have a budget of $x, we immediately offer solutions that are 2 x $x, sometimes more.
2. All the premises are questioned, and the questioning is questioned.
3. Any thread that goes for more than about 20 posts goes off topic (I'm guilty of this). But the digressions are often entertaining.
4. The knowledge base is astounding.