Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #76

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
OP, I have the A version of your 50mm and I also have the 80-200/f4.5 M zoom. While the f/2 50mm's have been much maligned, they can and will do good work if the photographer is capable, and from what I've seen of the 80-200 it's pretty capable too. What you have, sometimes with a 28mm prime thrown in, used to be a pretty common 2 (or 3) lens kit back in the day. What's the third lens the two cameras share?
The 18-55mm kit lens that came with my wife's camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
This thread illustrates some of the standard features of the forum:
1. When a poster says they have a budget of $x, we immediately offer solutions that are 2 x $x, sometimes more.
2. All the premises are questioned, and the questioning is questioned.
3. Any thread that goes for more than about 20 posts goes off topic (I'm guilty of this). But the digressions are often entertaining.
4. The knowledge base is astounding.
Yes, I was blown away by the response this question got. I think I'm going to like it here.

11-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Not all of us bite (very hard)!
11-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #78
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think one of the things missed by people in this thread is that a budget number was set. The flexibility of spending other people's money is easy. It is too easy to ignore practical realities. If $100 is the max available to spend - even if $200 is vastly superior it may be completely out of reach for quite some time. I have friends who struggle to make rent and put food on the table - I'm fortunate not to face this situation myself.

In any case. I fully agree that if you can afford a newer camera buy one. But don't fail to buy a camera if you really want one and all you can afford is the 6mp CCD generation. These cameras may not be modern but we loved them when they were new and they can still perform just as well now as they did then.
Man o' Man o' Man, am I ever so glad to see this post from you. Thank you very much. This past May I migrated over to digital photography with a Pentax K100D Super. Truthfully, I am very, very pleased with this camera and the lenses that I have and are compatible. Admittedly I am in a quandary in regards to the statement that it is probably not a great body to have. I believe I have missed the boat on that one. This body I feel, is awesome. It is a very solid, quality build and it feels close to the Pentax ME Super that I had for over 15 years. When I purchased this camera it had only 848 verified shutter clicks, so essentially it is not even broken in yet. I will test it out at higher ISO levels and see what happens. Now, I also have a Nikon D70 which I have experienced limitations with. For instance what I thought were over exposures, turned out to not be over exposures because of the limitations of the DR (Dynamic Range). Was I disappointed? Yes, however, that is what CPLs are for. Thanks again for your comments. I would be delighted to post some photos taken with the Pentax K100D Super.

Tonytee
11-28-2015, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #79
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Man o' Man o' Man, am I ever so glad to see this post from you. Thank you very much. This past May I migrated over to digital photography with a Pentax K100D Super. Truthfully, I am very, very pleased with this camera and the lenses that I have and are compatible. Admittedly I am in a quandary in regards to the statement that it is probably not a great body to have. I believe I have missed the boat on that one. This body I feel, is awesome. It is a very solid, quality build and it feels close to the Pentax ME Super that I had for over 15 years. When I purchased this camera it had only 848 verified shutter clicks, so essentially it is not even broken in yet. I will test it out at higher ISO levels and see what happens. Now, I also have a Nikon D70 which I have experienced limitations with. For instance what I thought were over exposures, turned out to not be over exposures because of the limitations of the DR (Dynamic Range). Was I disappointed? Yes, however, that is what CPLs are for. Thanks again for your comments. I would be delighted to post some photos taken with the Pentax K100D Super.

Tonytee
Don't look over the fence to see whether the grass is greener. Just enjoy your K100D Super. There's a lot of love for it around here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/234878-appreciate-k100d.html

Look forward to seeing some photos.

11-28-2015, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #80

Tonytee
So much of photography is what you like and get used to. I had a 100D Super. I shot weddings for money back in the day with that camera. I still use my k10d very regular. The CCD sensors perform just as well (sometimes better) with good light as the new CMOS sensors. We still love our old bodies here.
11-28-2015, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not the gear. It's the shooter. Although, we'll definitely help you spend money!
11-29-2015, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It's not the gear. It's the shooter. Although, we'll definitely help you spend money!
I have checked out the higher priced K models and while some of them do not seem unreasonable, others do because there are features on them which I know I will never use. So with that in mind, at least for me anyway, it would not be a wise investment. The second point is: I am concerned about beginners wanting to test the waters before they buy and being given unfavorable comments that may prevent them from enjoying a perfectly good, used camera to start with. Almost forgot. I have photos posted on Post Your Photos under the section heading, "My ships are coming in."

Thanks again, interesting topic.

Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 11-29-2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Additional information.
11-29-2015, 02:04 AM   #83
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you buy an old one you will rapidly outgrow it.

So long as it is in good condition it should work fine, but it will be what it was built to be back then, and there is no way you can upgrade performance within the digital camera. That is different than film, where you can 'upgrade' by changing film type.

You might feel cramped by the things that are controllable on the old dslr. So you can try an old one so long as you are mindful that you may soon be looking for an upgrade to something fairly current, or even new.

11-29-2015, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #84
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
how old is too old in terms of camera bodies?
When you can no longer get film in the format to fit it.
11-29-2015, 03:51 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If you buy an old one you will rapidly outgrow it.

So long as it is in good condition it should work fine, but it will be what it was built to be back then, and there is no way you can upgrade performance within the digital camera. That is different than film, where you can 'upgrade' by changing film type.

You might feel cramped by the things that are controllable on the old dslr. So you can try an old one so long as you are mindful that you may soon be looking for an upgrade to something fairly current, or even new.
But for the untimely death of my *ist-DL, I would still be using it and would not have my K-5.
11-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #86
Pentaxian

It was and still is a great body. I used the non-super version for over 7 years, and if it had still been in tip-top shape I would have waited even longer to upgrade. They can be an awesome value for the cash strapped. However, when models a few generations more advanced aren't orders of magnitude more expensive, I think it's worth pointing that out as an option.

Here's a thread of k100d images:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/234878-appreciate-k100d.html

and a flickr group with a number of forum members:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/k100d/

and my own flickr photos taken with my k100d:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=bprobin&tags=k100d

The old cameras are still pretty awesome. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!
11-29-2015, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

The k100d super is what I used for many years. It is what I took to London and Paris years ago.

As I said those cameras were great, and they sill do add good now as then. We are spoiled by how great today's cameras perform.
11-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter

We certainly are spoiled!
11-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #89
Pentaxian

We've been spoiled for many years!

If camera advances and price drops had completely halted in 2006, I would have had no qualms about replacing my old k100d with a new k100d. Especially given the years of faithful service, it was worth every penny- $750 with 2 kit lenses.

Last edited by BrianR; 11-29-2015 at 12:48 PM.
11-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter

The *istD was my first DSLR, purchased over 5 yrs ago. Even though we have newer cameras, the D still gets a lot of work, especially with the old manual lenses, where it excels. It still takes great images, when the light is good. It's fine for web-sized images, and my 8x10s look fantastic. I only feel limited when I'm shooting in dark conditions, or using a long telephoto lens (rarely). So enjoy your DS. It was, and still is, a fine camera body, and the 6 mp sensor can produce magical images!