Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of us are NOT adventure photographers! (I'm not a photographer at all. I'm a snap shooter & I know it.)

11-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Some of us are NOT adventure photographers! (I'm not a photographer at all. I'm a snap shooter & I know it.)
Pooh! You say this in a self-depreciating way that's disconcerting. It doesn't matter what you photograph, where you photograph it, or what equipment you use as long as you're doing something you care about. Click on with pride however and wherever you click!
11-30-2015, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
So you had the chance to find out what slithering through the mud on the other side of the world was like and didn't take it?
I was born and lived most of my life on the other side of the world from where I live now, so as a child I probably did more than my fair share of slithering in the mud.

---------- Post added 30-11-15 at 11:08 ----------

(I'm not a photographer at all. I'm a snap shooter & I know it.)
LOL, me too.

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Pooh! You say this in a self-depreciating way that's disconcerting
No, some of us just know our limitations. I suppose you could call us 'enthusiasts'.
11-30-2015, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #109
Pentaxian

Being a snap shooter is no issue and there nothing to be ashamed of.

The only issue to me are the snobs that criticize the snap shooters and not the snap shooters.

11-30-2015, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I know my limitations. I look at some poster's pictures here & even on my cheap laptop's screen, they are just amazing!

But I do feel like Pentax's philosophy of cameras for the way people take pictures pretty much sums me up. I take pictures. I'm not making art. I'm awed & even inspired by the artists among us though.
11-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #111
Pentaxian

I'm not a photographer at all. I'm a snap shooter & I know it.
I would say if you are on this forum you may be more than that...

But, this is a hobby right? (At least for most of us anyway).

Shoot what and when you like, use the equipment you want, support your LBA, shoot your evening meal or your Everest summit trip, it's all good. But mainly just fun with it
11-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #112
Pentaxian

@Tonytee
QuoteQuote:
"when considering that the average shutter is good for up to 100,000 clicks or better"...
Only professional models are rated for 200,000 clicks (Pentax started this with the K-3).
Earlier Pentax top models (K-7, K-5) are rated only for 100,000, for even earlier and/or simpler models Pentax does not specify it.
If you look at the amount of bodies offered on eBay as (defect/for spares/etc.) it seems many of the budget models K-x and K-r are not as long lasting.

@Wild Mark
Your descriptions of the K200 and the K10 do not really match reality.
The K200D is a K10 with only the following modifications:
  1. Pentamirror instead of Pentaprism (but the difference in brightness is small!)
  2. Usage of AA batteries/akkus instead of Li-Ion akku
  3. Top LCD display not illuminated
  4. No front wheel (front wheel functions are performed with back wheel while index finger presses a button besides the shutter button)
I have lately seen several K200D go for €100-€140 on German eBay, so it should be not more than that in the US.
By the way, there is also the K-m (named K2000 in the US). This is a budget version of the K200D (cheaper looking and feeling plastic body, no weather resistance, no additional battery grip available). But as it came a few months later than the K200, it offers a slightly higher continuous shooting frame rate. Considering the differences, it should be significantly cheaper than the K200, but strange enough on German ebay it isn't.

In the price range the OP is willing or able to invest, I would opt for a K200D.

Last edited by RKKS08; 11-30-2015 at 02:44 PM.
11-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #113
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
If you buy an old one you will rapidly outgrow it.

So long as it is in good condition it should work fine, but it will be what it was built to be back then, and there is no way you can upgrade performance within the digital camera. That is different than film, where you can 'upgrade' by changing film type.

You might feel cramped by the things that are controllable on the old dslr. So you can try an old one so long as you are mindful that you may soon be looking for an upgrade to something fairly current, or even new.
I have agree with Mr. Tim60 here. I can understand someone wanting to upgrade in regards to MPs. My Pentax K100D Super has only 6.1s, however I do get very good enlargements at 16 X 21 or 22. That is as far as I can go. Thanks for reading,

Rgds,

Tonytee

11-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #114
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have agree with Mr. Tim60 here. I can understand someone wanting to upgrade in regards to MPs. My Pentax K100D Super has only 6.1s, however I do get very good enlargements at 16 X 21 or 22. That is as far as I can go. Thanks for reading,

Rgds,

Tonytee
Curiously my first DSLR was a K100DS. I got back into photography through it. My previous good camera was an MX that I gave a lot of service and should still be operable. Then the limitations I found with it were around the resolution, focusing with MF lenses and some issues of battery life (although I really liked the range of batteries it could work with, including AA alkaline - so easy to buy when in a bind). Tried buying a ready to use battery for a K3 at a petrol station in the middle of an event? Replaced it with a K3 which felt like it opened out al the affordances of the MX and with nice DSLR extras. My MF lenses are much easier to use with it.
12-03-2015, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm surprised nobody else has yet asked how a SNAKE comes to piss on your camera.
Maybe like this? (first photo)

I didn't want to know about the frog pee & I was right about that feeling. I CERTAINLY don't want to know about the snakes!
I'm totally up for frog, snake or other critter pee or poo if I can get a great photo. (2nd photo) Plus, it's good luck.

As a volunteer for a wild bird rehab center, I have learned to step back when a bird turns its back to me.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #116
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is a really funny paper in IEEE Transactions on something about people mixing up stuff to be imitation bird droppings for some experiments to determine that bird droppings like that could be the cause of flashovers on high voltage transmission lines on the US West Coast. You remind me of it.
12-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
if I can get a great photo. (2nd photo)
An otherwise perfect shot, ruined by sh**.
12-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #118
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
An otherwise perfect shot, ruined by sh**.
Actually, I like the photo especially because of the poop - I think it's what makes it interesting instead ordinary.
12-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'd rather have the ordinary picture, but I think I've already declared myself as not being an adventure photographer.
12-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I have lately seen several K200D go for €100-€140 on German eBay, so it should be not more than that in the US.
In the U.S., you can get a K10D, K20D, or K200D for under $180 USD. Yes, they all sell for about the same money depending in condition. For reference, I sold my K10D (Ex+ condition, 30K shutter count) 18 months ago for $150 with a Katz Eye screen thrown in to sweeten the deal.

You are correct regarding the K200D. It has an impressive feature list, particularly at its original price point. It is not, however, a K10D. The differences noted in your list* are significant in everyday shooting with the most important being the single control wheel, viewfinder (smaller/dimmer), and (sadly) somewhat worse battery life.**

My advice for Pentax dSLRs in the bargain bin goes something like this (descending order):
  • K-7
  • K20D
  • K10D
  • K200D
...with strong preference to the top two.

Steve

* Not complete, but those are the most important. It should be noted that the K200D is better spec'd on a few points.

** There are endless discussions regarding batteries with strong points being made for both AA and proprietary Li-ion. I was very happy shooting my K10D with the stock battery plus two Wasabi in the bag as backup. My total outlay for batteries during the seven years of ownership was $25 USD for the Wasabis. My daughter, OTOH, had her K10D's charger fried by bad local power in the middle of the Great Indian Thar Desert. An AA option would have been nice at that point, but when she switched to her Nikon P&S she found that the local batteries would not power the camera. Screwed both ways.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.