Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian

PS the K200D is a definite step up from the K100

11-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #32
Site Supporter

You can pick up an eBay K-x or similar for around $150-200.
11-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is easy to suggest that a small budget stretch is smarter than buying within budget. I honestly think the 6 mp ccd cameras are pretty good within limits. There id's always room to grow into a k50, k5, etc.
11-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I still have my K10D but I rarely use it. I use my K50 instead. The K10D is a great camera and is built like a tank. However it is way behind the K50 which is considered an entry level camera. The K10D has CCD sensor so there is no live view. This is really a draw back using manual focus lenses. The K20 used a CMOS sensor show you have live view ability. In my opinion I would wait a little bit and see if you could pick up a used K5. You can try and post an ad in the Wanted section for a camera. I am sure there is someone out there with a camera body they will sell for some extra holiday money.

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 11-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.
11-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are you planning to photograph? It does matter...the 6mp k100d era cameras are great and just as good today as they were 10 years ago, but they are noticeably behind the newer stuff in more demanding situations (especially moving stuff in lower light).

What kind of P&S do you have? You could always work on doing the best you can with it (there's more to photography than owning a dslr) and borrow your wife's dslr when she's not looking to get a better idea if photography is something you want to pursue. Start saving up as much as you can in the meantime. Camera bodies continue to come down in price, so eventually your budget should reach used k5 or similar era camera, or fall in line with some of the blow-out deals (like the k-s1 deal someone posted). If you decide you're not that into photography, you can always spend these camera savings on lenses for your wife (you might want to start a separate savings jar for this purpose anyway).
11-22-2015, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Also consider a used K-30. It's basically the same as the K-50
Basically the same, except that the K-30 is much better looking!

But can't you and your wife share one camera for now? Are you both really going to be shooting at the same time? Are you wanting to take pictures of each other taking pictures?? Who's gonna watch your kids while you guys both have cameras stuck to your faces? Don't you care about what happens to your children? What kind of monster are you???

But seriously, I wouldn't recommend going with anything older than the K-x. Before that, the sensors were rather craptastic by modern standards. And with each generation, the camera bodies have gotten faster, more streamlined, and more capable. I think you would be better off sharing the K-50 for now, and using the remaining budget to buy a lens. Something like the 50mm 1.8, perhaps.
11-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you use an older one you may not come to like it like you would a newer one. That is why I seriously do recommend that KS-1 deal. I bought 2 of them when they were 199 at Samys. I don't want you to go too old and then be frustrated with the results.

11-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I don't want you to go too old and then be frustrated with the results.
This is good advise. I have fond memories of using some early DSLR's, but when I have gotten a chance to try them again in recent years, they are unbearable to use after getting used to the newer ones. Used is great, but don't too far back in generations.
11-22-2015, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return the K-50 + 18-55 that cost $400 (which seems a bit over-priced), buy two of the $199 K-S1 kits at Samy's?
11-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How old is too old? Well that depends upon what you want to do. As technology moves forward I kept my old bodies, because I couldn't get a lot for them, and having more than one body has some benefits. So, at present , my "Kit" consists of 4 digital bodies, an *istD, a K10D a K7D and a K5D.

Each body has some differences, but her is how I use them.

The *istD, although only 6 MP, can actually print up to 13x19 which is the biggest I can print at home. You can expand this by using resampling to at least 2x this if needed. The *istD has better noise behaviour than the K10, and for flash has many benefits that no other later cameras have. The keys are both TTL and P-TTL flash so you can mix and match any lens and flash from the mid 1980's on( actually any lens at all from the start of photography) and get relatively reliable flash exposure. In addition, for High speed sync, the in body flash can work as a master, so no need to buy 2 flashes for that.

The k10 Has better resolution, and shake reduction, and some like the CCD colours and rendering better than later CMOS sensors.

Today the K10 and *istD have diagonal split image focusing screens and get used a lot with my legacy lenses.

My K7 and K5 are largely used with new lenses, mostly F2.8 zooms up to 200mm

So if you just want to play a little and explore the *istD is very capable, although a little sloooooooooooower than today's bodies. Also the CF card is something not as easily dealt with today as SD cards, but you can get an SD to CF adaptor pretty cheap
11-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
*istD is very capable, although a little sloooooooooooower than today's bodies.
And as a bonus, you would enjoy the distinction of owning the worst-named camera EVER. Just imagine the fun you could have every time someone asked what kind of camera you're using!
11-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lots of good advice already offered here, at the end of the day... you pays your money and you takes your choice, good luck and enjoy whichever camera you end up with.
11-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #43

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. Looks like I have a lot to consider.
11-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #44
Veteran Member

The problem is that many older cameras, once you add shipping and possible import duty, cost almost as much as much newer cameras. A used K-5, K-5II is much newer technology than something like K-10D (despite the fact that the camera was great when it came to the market and can still work as well today as it did back then). K-50 or K-S1 is what I would recommend, and you can get these for low prices, even new. Buying new has the added benefit of having warranty. It just doesn't make much sense going to buy a *istD and having it shipped, as its shutter has been used, the materials get tired, and its technology is simply not on the same level as new stuff. Digital cameras evolve very quickly, each generation has some improvements.

So look into K-50 and K-S1 (maybe even K-30, it is almost same as K-50, just different design and slightly older, but same technology as far as I know); or if you want steeper learning curve and higher tier camera: K-5 and K-5II (II is newer, has better AF module; IIs is better yet, but might be expensive). There are some differences between these cameras, you can check here:
Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-5 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
If you want to get something cheaper still, K-7 (predecessor of K-5), K-r and K-x (predecessors of K-50) are as old as I would go. I doubt you would save much money looking for these, but check local listings. The thing with used market is that it really depends on your location, how much shipping you are willing to pay, and who just happens to be selling what. Sometimes you can get a steal, other times you can't find anything reasonable for months. I think keh.com and the marketplace on these forums might be good places to look for used gear.

One other thing to keep in mind is lenses! This is a DSLR camera, its main value is that you can switch lenses. So make sure you leave some budget for lenses. A lens will keep value much longer than a DSLR, and can be used on even much newer technology. Today many Pentaxians use very old lenses, because they are still optically good or at least adequate (depends on lens, of course). Older lenses with m42 mount need a simple adapter and they can be used; of course, if the lens was made before AF was invented, the lens will not have AF. But it might allow a function called Catch in focus, which triggers shutter when focus is achieved, even with old, pre-AF lenses.
11-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #45
Forum Member

i saw k50's on eBay used for about 200 from henry's in canada i think not that long ago. it wouldn't be that hard to find. you can pick up a used 18-55 for less than 50$ and you can get primes like a manual focus/auto aperture A 50 1.7 for like 30$ so don't worry about getting a lens included in a used package. getting a used body isn't bad just look at shutter counts like someone said. my wife and i both have k50's and while she doesn't shoot as much as me we share lenses. i have an 18-55, 55-300, da 50 1.8, a 50 1.7, sigma 30 1.4, and a rokinon 8mm fisheye. a lot of times one will take a long lens and the other a short or one a zoom one a prime. that way we get different perspectives. other than maybe the 18-55 wr bc of versatility and a cheap water resistant lens i wouldn't recommend doubling up on any lenses. my wife is possessive too but she is ok with sharing lenses. when we were on our honeymoon in acadia in maine one would have 18-55 and one would have fisheye or one 50mm and one 55-300. it was fun.